ForumsWEPRJames K. Polk: The Greatest President of All Time

27 14506
ChillzMaster
ChillzMaster
1,435 posts
Nomad

I don't want to hear your Washington's, your FDR's, your Eisenhower's or your Lincoln's, 11th President of the United States, James K. Polk, was the greatest man to ever lead the young Republic.

Let's talk about the first things the citizens of the USA, circa 1844, learned about what Polk would do during his term.

Polk put down few goals key to the success of the nation, all in a little list.

1. He would make the then-independent Republic of Texas part of the Union

2. He would add California and New Mexico the the Union

3. He would add the Oregon Territory to the nation

4. The tariff would be severely lowered

5. All above would be completed in one term

Everything above was completed in his four years, along with him overseeing the opening of the U.S. Naval Academy, giving the OK on the construction of the Washington Monument, and issued the first American postal stamps.

Let's go into detail, shall we?

At this point in 1845, the British Empire was the dominant global force. With land on every continent (excluding Antarctica) the English-speaking empire was noted as unusual for its recent global "cleansing" of slavery. It also had a weird relationship with its previous colony, the USA. They were on the right track towards the Special Relationship, but not quite.

The British co-owned the Oregon Country, land that stretched from Oregon to British Columbia, with the US, yet the former had a considerable more settlers in the region. Polk mustered his strength, called for a meeting with Queen Victoria, and demanded the entire territory be given to the United States.

Imagine a country like Germany demanding Puerto Rico from the US today, and you'll get the picture. It would be a long, bloody war, the third within the span of 100 years that no one really wanted, so Polk got what he actually wanted, to expand the already straight border of the US and the Dominion of Canada.

one down, three to go.

In 1846, he finally lowered the tariff to next-to-nothing, to great praise.

These are going by fast...

And so we meet the dual, adding Texas, California and New Mexico to the Union.

The Empire of Mexico was led by a maniac, and was within spitting distance of similarities to Facist Germany's policies. The people in Texas were forced to be Catholic, speak Spanish, and pay taxes to the Emperor of Mexico. The Southern Americans that moved into the new land were okay with the taxes, but no one tells an American how to live his life! When Mexico banned slavery, Texas revolted, and became its own country. Annexing the territory was controversial in the United States, it would surely mean war with the 2nd largest force in the Americas, and for nearly ten years, The Republic of Texas waited.

So swings in our hero Polk, who annexed the country. The Mexicans quickly closed their embassy in Washington, and the US army prepared for war. What followed was the greatest war America ever fought, it may had not had the greatest of outcomes in terms of where it left the nation, but in terms of execution, skill of the Generals, and overall technological superiority, America left the war with land that would become California, Oregon, Colorado, Wyoming, New Mexico, and Arizona.

It is also worth noting that had California (who in term revolted and made its own Republic a month or so before the Americans came in and annexed it) revolted on its own and stayed an independent country, it would have the 6th largest economy in 2011.

And so ends the presidency of Polk, the greatest man to ever enter the White House. Even though he was begged for a second term, he declined humbly. In a surprising twist, it seems as if he was born to be President, as after 3 months out of the White house, he died of cholera. The man did his duty to his country and left it a hero.

So, discuss! Am I flawed in my reasoning, or do you agree that Polk deserves his Chilly Title as Greatest President?

-Chillz

• 27 Replies
Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

It is about opinion.
Lets put it into a different perspective.
You can perceive it in many ways. Oregon was a scary issue, he was threatening war with Britain. By splitting the territory, he nearly lead to a war 10 years later, which was again stopped.

In 1846, he finally lowered the tariff to next-to-nothing, to great praise.

Actually, he didn't. He left it at around 25%, making good ground with agricultural democrats and northern merchants all in an effort to lower taxes.
[After his presidency the tariff kept dropping until very sharp lows in the 1850's]

2. He would add California and New Mexico the the Union

Aside from him being probably the best president with an agenda of Manifest Destiny on the top of his list -- wouldn't this have happened on its own? The Bear Flag republic wasn't getting along too well with Mexico as it was.
His addition of Texas also seemed like it was on its way, since TX had been asking for while, and would have been in if not for the question of slavery.
Then again, he did do it, so its not like credit isn't there just because I think it would have happened in my future.

I think its extremely difficult to pick who the greatest president is. You could look at Washington, and while his presidency may not be so noteworthy, the rest of his American contributions were quite helpful.
As for FDR, he re-pampered our economy, built people's trust in banks, and positioned us for WWII.
Eisenhower built the freaking interstate. What would California and it's 6th largest overall economy be without the big roads?
Also, I think Lincoln's work speaks for itself.
Not to mention, Polk did all this when the economy was fine and dandy. That makes life easier.
It's all a matter of opinion. I will say this, though. Polk is probably the greatest president nobody has heard of.
thingthingjack
thingthingjack
43 posts
Nomad

chillzmaster, go read the chapter on the mexican-american war in A People's History of the United States and then tell me whether you still like Polk

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

To decide to start an unnecessary war is a rather bad thing to do.

ChillzMaster
ChillzMaster
1,435 posts
Nomad

go read the chapter on the mexican-american war in A People's History of the United States and then tell me whether you still like Polk

You think I would charge into argument with no previous knowledge?

Yes, Santa Anna and Polk had rough patches about themselves, one of Polk's biggies was nearly hurling us into a 3rd war with Britain within 70 years, but if you're referencing how the Mexican-American War started, he did what many other presidents before, and after him, did, defended the United States of America from tyranny and oppression.

When The Republic of Texas seceded from the Mexican Empire, there was much disputed territory between the two countries. When Texas joined the Union, the disputed land was now an issue between the young Empire and Republic.

Because the land was US claimed, in addition to the fact that Mexico refused to sell California for a humongous price simply because Santa Anna didn't like Polk, the president ordered a fort be made on the border between Mexico and the disputed territory. Mexican ruler José Mariano Salas ordered the troops to invade and attack the fort.

It was no different from Pearl Harbor, the sinkings of the Lusitania or Maine, the oppression from England after the United States was established as a free country, or the invasion of Fort Sumter. Polk did what any sane man in the White House would have done, and pushed back the invaders.

-Chillz
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

To decide to start an unnecessary war is a rather bad thing to do.

usa does it all the time.
alexstargazer
alexstargazer
347 posts
Nomad

usa does it all the time.

Give me an instance of a war that we started for no apparent reason at all. Every war we were in, or started was for a specific reason.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

a example:

Yugoslavia.

usa had nothing to do whit that conflict except that the usa wanted 1 party to win from the other. and what did they do? interupt in the conflict by bombing 1 place and hand out weapons in the other.

lybia:

usa had nothing to do whit the conflict but it just felt it needed to help and started bombing the place and hand out weapons to rebels.
then after usa started they leave and europe gotta fix it. well thx we didn't wanted to start war there and neither do we want to get draged in that conflict. but because of the usa calling it a UN mission we have to.

usa started 26 wars in 65 years since THE END of ww2. (cold war not included) 26 wars in 65 years this means evry 2 or 3 year a new war. there is not a country on earth that has started so many wars in such a short time for very very long ago. there is no way that the usa had real need to start all these wars. yes the usa STARTED all the 26 wars.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

James K Polk.
I've done American history at university for a year.
Not once was this man mentioned, lol.

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

I've done American history at university for a year.
Not once was this man mentioned, lol.

That's impossible. Either you're skipping the 1800's, you're not too good at history, ... or I really feel sorry for the guy
He did have lots of accomplishments.

26 wars in 65 years since
]
There is no statistical evidence for this.
You're already wrong about us starting that many wars, because both Lybia and Yugoslavia are examples of American intervention, not the start of our own personal war within a region, but an extension of them.
Also, even if that is true, it is not the quantity of the wars but what happens in them.
Who cares if I pick a fight with 200 kids and all I do is poke them, whereas someone else picks a fight with 2 people and murders them?
I'm not saying the USA isn't overly crazy over their military and love to kill people -- I'm just saying its not that bad.

Anyways, I think he was pretty close to great. Looked like an easy life for Americans in that time period.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

There is no statistical evidence for this.
You're already wrong about us starting that many wars, because both Lybia and Yugoslavia are examples of American intervention, not the start of our own personal war within a region, but an extension of them.
Also, even if that is true, it is not the quantity of the wars but what happens in them.
Who cares if I pick a fight with 200 kids and all I do is poke them, whereas someone else picks a fight with 2 people and murders them?
I'm not saying the USA isn't overly crazy over their military and love to kill people -- I'm just saying its not that bad.

learn your own history please. usa did start 26 wars after ww2.

usa is interfering in conflict and makes that those conflicts become a war by giving the less powerfull weapons to fight whit.
interfering in a conflict that at that point becomes a war is the same as starting a war.
the reason why so many non-americans dislike and hate the usa is because the usa is always interfering in what is not their own problem. and because the usa brings so much violence in the world.
the rest of the world whold be better of whitout the usa.
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

That's impossible. Either you're skipping the 1800's, you're not too good at history, ... or I really feel sorry for the guy

It's just different bits from it. I know who he is but we haven't learned a thing about him. I'm honours in history, so i'll go with the third :P
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

Yugoslavia.
usa had nothing to do whit that conflict except that the usa wanted 1 party to win from the other. and what did they do? interupt in the conflict by bombing 1 place and hand out weapons in the other.
lybia:
usa had nothing to do whit the conflict but it just felt it needed to help and started bombing the place and hand out weapons to rebels.
then after usa started they leave and europe gotta fix it. well thx we didn't wanted to start war there and neither do we want to get draged in that conflict. but because of the usa calling it a UN mission we have to.
usa started 26 wars in 65 years since THE END of ww2. (cold war not included) 26 wars in 65 years this means evry 2 or 3 year a new war. there is not a country on earth that has started so many wars in such a short time for very very long ago. there is no way that the usa had real need to start all these wars. yes the usa STARTED all the 26 wars.

The majority of those are not wars (Vietnam and Korea were the only wars). For it to be a war it needs an act of congress. Those were military actions sanctioned by the presidents, not wars.
waluigi
waluigi
1,948 posts
Shepherd

Polk was a good president, but a few facts here are not quite right

. He would make the then-independent Republic of Texas part of the Union

He had plans to do this, but just before he took office, John Tyler, the president before him, went ahead and annexed Texas. And so the credit does not fall on Polk

The British co-owned the Oregon Country, land that stretched from Oregon to British Columbia, with the US, yet the former had a considerable more settlers in the region. Polk mustered his strength, called for a meeting with Queen Victoria, and demanded the entire territory be given to the United States.

Polk did not annex the entirely of the Oregon territory. He instead allowed for an agreement for the territory to be split at the 49 degree latitude line. He campaigned on taking all of the Oregon territory, but did not follow through. The yellow on the map shows the entirety of the Oregon territory (sorry for the low quality).
http://faculty.weber.edu/kmackay/5440map.gif

The Mexican American war was probably his only real low point in his presidency, but some of the issues were not his fault. Some points it was his diplomats ignoring his orders, and others it was the Army. But overall, Polk definitely is one of the best presidents. Definitely better than those ****ed gilded age presidents.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

your actions caused a war then. stupid xD

giving weapons to the less powerfull means that they both get powerfull and start fighting. because the usa gave weapons to congo there have ben 3 civil wars whit those weapons. befor the usa gave them weapons the people in congo didn't needed weapons at all.

deny what you want i can't care less. deny the reasons why most people in the world hate the usa. deny it all whit the narrow minds filled whit usa propaganda that you got. (i wont be replying on this matter furter as you are not willing to think but only willing to defend.)

now back to topic and back to the time usa was actually a good country.

alexstargazer
alexstargazer
347 posts
Nomad

@partydevil

Yugoslavia:

the usa wanted 1 party to win from the other

There is the reason for going into war - to help one side win.

Lybia:

just felt it needed to help and started bombing the place and hand out weapons to rebels.

There is the reason again - to help the rebels.

Yes, the reasons may not always be very good, but there is always a reason.
Showing 1-15 of 27