ForumsNews and Feedback30 second post rule

15 3542
supermape123
supermape123
431 posts
Nomad

Will there still be the 30 second post rule,considering there will be no AP?

• 15 Replies
KyahcoSukaimasutae
KyahcoSukaimasutae
311 posts
Nomad

hmmmm well i would say "nice try" but i would say "no" (no offence)spam is spam whether or not you get ap people will still spam with no reseon! plus if you have to for some resaon copy your post and/or refresh the page then post it. it is not that hard to do that we have to get rid of the rule i would make it a minute more like... (hope no one get any ideas from my info....). personly i would be more strict with spaming than AG and ever one would go crazy but mercys is good and AG gives a lot of it, but userers don't seem to notes it (no offence to you or any one)... but that is all up to AG (though i expect a no, sorry...). but just wait they may get out a chat or some thing (though i think they said no to those too...).

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

chat or some thing (though i think they said no to those too...).

There won't be chat at launch, but it is a possibility after launch. This is the thread to discuss chat.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

We haven't discussed whether to keep or remove the 30-second wait between posting. Right now, there's no wait in between posting comments on activity stream items or status messages. However, users will have the ability to flag you as a spammer if you start going crazy.

xDuked
xDuked
29 posts
Nomad

You know, U guess there should be a 30-second rule to post because usually spammers just gets points rapidly anyways....

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

... which is why AG3 won't give you points for writing messages. You'll only get points by earning Achievements in the games.

godandd
godandd
1,285 posts
Nomad

i dont like that. i like the forum post geting points. it makes you be more sochail.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Unfortunately, we've been fighting a never-ending spam battle because users would post tons of messages to gain points and ranks and end up in the leaderboards, etc.

The point of AG3 is to maintain a stronger focus on game playing, and as such, you'll gain points by earning Achievements.

Community involvement will award "Reputation" (once we build the Reputation system) where you'll gain "rep" by having users 'like' your comments.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

Considering there isn't going to be points awarded in AG3 for forum activity, I don't think you'll have to worry about people spamming the forums often for points. The people who care about the armor points for forum activity will probably stop posting in the forums due to them not getting points for it anymore. Also, if we have an upvote/downvote thing in the forums, then people will most likely vote down people who are spamming. But I think I've read somewhere that it'll just be an upvote for a while, however, I still don't think you'll have to worry about people spamming the forums since they won't get points for it. Also, if you were to create some sort of spam filter for the forums, that could help. Personally, I'd like for the thirty second rule to be gone. Sometimes I have multiple things typed up in notepad to post in threads, but I have to wait that time to post them for each thread, it kind of takes up a lot of time if you add all that time up. Also, in forum games it'd be handy to not have that time limit. Someone will probably say "but it will take you over 30 seconds to type out something to post". Well, it doesn't. There are things as "fast typists" out there, and forum games don't require a long post. If you look at Kongregate's forums, they don't have a time limit there and people don't spam there often.

TL;DR: I'd like for the time limit to be gone because there'll probably be a downvote option in AG3, people probably won't spam due to no points being rewarded, it's convenient for some people to not have a time limit.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

I still don't think you'll have to worry about people spamming the forums since they won't get points for it

Most of the "commercial" spam we deal with will probably still end up in the forums, though, since having a URL linked from our site to any other site can boost their ranking. Hopefully we'll have a better "report this as spam" tool.

As for taking out the 30s rule, I'm kind of in favor of it myself since commenting will no longer award points. However, having excessive communication where two users just write tons of messages and then start 'liking' every message the other person writes to 'spam' their Reputation is where we need to examine the behavior a little more closely.
bicola1
bicola1
1,715 posts
Nomad

well, i dunno about you guys, but i'm very active on the forum games, and i have to refresh every time that i post, and i play and run a lot of games, so it gets pretty annoying if you're me.

DarthNerd
DarthNerd
1,762 posts
Nomad

I think the 30 secand rule is fine. People that are pointlessly spamming cause less damage, and with or without the rule, the spamming with some one linking there site wont be stopped by that. Not much "random" spam is seen in the fourms, besides the occasional random thread in the fourm games, but i think the rules is there just to be safe.

jorpel
jorpel
3 posts
Peasant

why is there a 30 second post rule only for spam??

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

I think the 30 secand rule is fine. People that are pointlessly spamming cause less damage, and with or without the rule, the spamming with some one linking there site wont be stopped by that. Not much "random" spam is seen in the fourms, besides the occasional random thread in the fourm games, but i think the rules is there just to be safe.

It isn't bothering anyone, really, but some people just want it gone since it can affect certain things. It's like, what does it matter if I make my bed or not? It isn't going to bother anyone if it's made or not, but it's better for me to have it made since it looks neater and is more comfortable to lie on when it's like that.
why is there a 30 second post rule only for spam?

There isn't? There's a 30 second time limit for posting comments on profiles/games/threads. It's to prevent people spamming a lot. However, from what I've seen, the people who spam the most just do it for armor points. Considering there will be no armor points rewarded for posting in the forums, and that the moderators enforce the rules well, you don't really have to worry about people spamming.
KyahcoSukaimasutae
KyahcoSukaimasutae
311 posts
Nomad

Sorry GoM I usaully agree with you but... i mean making your bed is just good habbit (I don't do it but I sleap in a sleaping bag so you can realy), ad I have seen spam destroy topics many times and not just on AG, take Game maker forums I have made and have seen other topics shot out of the sky because of spam or some one complaning about spelling or advertising there game no one has herd of!! And realy great in-depth ones too, even here I've seen thst happen (this part of the forum)! I think it is like going to some other companie a straping a sign to you and runing and screeming around the building about your stuff or pointless of the topic stuff! It is not only anoying but it make it harder to get the topic or work back up! I for example I say some one spam 6 or 7 post about why there not geting pionts and the want more and such on a topic in the AG3 sug. Forums and every one stoped posting! (Cormyn cleared that up though). Plus your bed is off to the side and not in the normal liveing area (usauly) but spam is right there in your face like a sor thumb. (No flameing just friendly arguing)

But we could make the forum games special like the newcomers forum, and take away the 30 second rule, it still leaves a lot of room for spam, you could also make the forum games un-like-able so people don't use it to there advantage, then add a better spam sytem (there's a few topic for that so let's not get in to that) and people will not have a piont and all spam that gets by is covered by the better spam system!

But still spam always will come you just have to stay on top of it!
Like weeds in a garden, you can't stop them from coming but you can up root them and stop the from sucking up all the good topics!

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Guys, a lot of this is turning into discussion that should be made in the forum ideas thread. Let's continue this over there please.

Showing 1-15 of 15