ForumsWEPRWhat type of Government do YOU believe is right?

221 55826
Thrillology
Thrillology
78 posts
Shepherd

This is just curiosity and so people can talk about how they feel about the government of their country or what government they believe is right.
Personally, I believe in a small government where the government hardly does anything to affect your life, but people just don't care nowadays what happens: They just want free stuff, like money, food to make them fatter, other free junk from what the government 'romises' also known as 'lies' and the government has just controlled people.
So, I believe in a small, democratic government that won't control your daily life. That would include Capitalism as well.

• 221 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

As far as economics go, regulations should be kept to a minimum but citizens should still be protected from false claims, and harmful products. I'm a proponent of social welfare in that I consider housing, being well feed, and healthcare to be rights and not privileges.

Government intervention is required when the economy plunges. Read up more on Keynes for more.

Although I support welfare in the form of food and basic housing, and maybe healthcare, I disagree with the immensely huge welfare dole outs that much of Europe has. Greece in particular is in this sticky mess partially because of its ridiculously large and generous pension payments. This is a short comparison between the Greek and German pension systems. More here.

Also, did you know if a Greek woman does not marry and her mother/father is a civil servant, she can continue collecting their pensions even after they die, till her own death? That's absolutely preposterous.
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Democratic, not much overall power, power resides with mayors. (mayors have full risk of being thrown out on the spot)

So power to the states like Jefferson wanted?
TheAnarchoAtheist
TheAnarchoAtheist
14 posts
Nomad

Nichodemus, try Hayek.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

Nichodemus, try Hayek.

Hayek is a classical liberalist, which is totally different from an anarchist.

Classical liberalism is the philosophy committed to the ideal of limited government, constitutionalism, rule of law, due process, and liberty of individuals including freedom of religion, speech, press, assembly, and free markets.

Anarchists on the other hand, believe in doing away entirely with government and the state.

In fact, g=PA102&lpg=PA102&dq=hayek+is+not+an+anarchist&source=bl&ots=pncWH8gv_a&sig=TwSZvme6xhAYNtlQLFKs6hR1YBg&hl=en&sa=X&ei=uaP2Tt_RGYXwrQf09pHjDw&ved=0CC0Q6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=hayek%20is%20not%20an%20anarchist&f=false">he has outright disclaimed that he is an anarchist.
TheAnarchoAtheist
TheAnarchoAtheist
14 posts
Nomad

I choose the lesser of two evils.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

I choose the lesser of two evils.

Without actually giving proper reasons, and without actually having a clear idea of the government you're living under (Which, if I assume is America, is an extremely acceptable democracy relative to many nations on Earth), whilst claiming that the government is clueless.

Hypocritical much?
TheAnarchoAtheist
TheAnarchoAtheist
14 posts
Nomad

No, much.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

Alright.....I can see why people have given up on Americans, too lazy to try to be intellectual and partial, too narrow minded and too obstinate about one's views no matter how flawed, generalizations apart. Which is another reason why we can never bring in direct democracy.

PsyhcoWalrus
PsyhcoWalrus
40 posts
Nomad

*My Views*

h3. Section l

# A government that lets people have *all freedoms*.

# A government that is made up of a 12 person council instead of a president or king by which whom all council members are chosen by a *popular vote*.

# That means no electoral college. For every man, let there be one vote. This would make it a *true democracy*.

# Taxes should be very low and most people should be *self-sufficient* with growing their own food.

# The government *cannot* limit monopolies such as Bell Telephone, Walmart, Microsoft, and McDonald's

# The government will have only *reusable energy* such as wind and solar power. This means the country will be pretty self-sufficient with their own energy

# I'm not a tree hugger but all transportation such as cars, jets, and boats, would have to only use ethanol because it reduces greenhouse gas emissions by 66%

h3. Section ll

# Murder, ****, child molesters, kidnappers - unless proven not guilty, recieve a life sentence or a death penalty their choice. And that's only if they're proven guilty.

# No man shall recieve any punish unless proven 100% guilty.

# No age requirement for alcohol

# Tobacco will not be processed and will only be smoked through a bong.

# Marijuana likewise will only be smoked through a bong

# There is no restriction or age requirement for either plant

# You have to pass all driving tests at least 90% before recieving full lisense

# No speed limits. Cops will enforce accordingly as they choose

h3. Section lll

# All medication, unless needed to keep thyself alive, will be outlawed. Ibuprofen and and minor drugs such as cough syrup, will be Ok.

# The government will not invade middle eastern countries for petrol. Instead, we'll grow corn for Ethanol.

# The government will not attack unless attacked. This means that if anyone oppresses us, our 10,00 Immortals will smote them.

# Nuclear power and weapons will not be used.

# Government will not mingle with the people's affairs

# The national anthem will be "We Will Rock You" by Queen

# School hours will not ever exceed 7 hours

# That's pretty much it

h3. Amendments

# Everyone, regardless of ethnicity, will be able to vote

# Everyone over the age of 16, will have the right to bears arms(This means fully automatic Ak-47's and M16's too!)

# Anyone who speaks against the national plant, marijuana, will be exported permanently.

So guys, tell me what you think of my ideal country. Some of it I exaggarated like the Ibuprofen and cough syrup, I just put it in there as a potential idea.

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

# That means no electoral college. For every man, let there be one vote. This would make it a *true democracy*.

What happens when there are 6 people voting for one thing and 6 for another?
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

@AnarchAtheist; Your posts are all spam and don't contribute to the topic
@Daleks: Freedom can only be obtained by no government, as that's why I'd rather have mayors in charge or anarchists.

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Freedom can only be obtained by no government, as that's why I'd rather have mayors in charge or anarchists.

Wouldn't a mayor/anarchist be like a king in this sense, just over a small area?
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

I mean no leaders. Anarchists appose Governments, Anarchists are not governments in themselves. Thus-full freedom
But then there's the idea that a people with full freedom would hurt themselves and others. I don't see how that's so bad, as we kill each other anyway, yet now with war you have an official license to kill, so full freedom would help.

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

But then there's the idea that a people with full freedom would hurt themselves and others. I don't see how that's so bad, as we kill each other anyway, yet now with war you have an official license to kill, so full freedom would help.

Full freedom would cause chaos. I agree that it would be fine if we lived in a Utopian environment but we don't. Therefore government is needed. Now how that government functions and gives rules is a different story.
PsyhcoWalrus
PsyhcoWalrus
40 posts
Nomad

daleks, good point. It is only a rough outline of a government but it would work very democratically and have little restrictions.

Showing 121-135 of 221