ForumsProgramming Forumwebsite development help?

9 4650
Mrshady
Mrshady
2 posts
Nomad

hi, im quite familiar with html and css, ect but i would just like to know how do the website developers of armor games organize there games in terms of pages,
so what im saying is that for them to make 1 page for every game, it would result in 1000+ pages which would be totally inefficient since they would be paying big $ for there website hosting,
so i was wondering if they use some type of variable script that allowes them to change the embeded games depending were the user clicks.

thank you!
(hope that wasnt to complicated )

• 9 Replies
master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

Well I'm not sure what your saying, but they do have a different page for every game. If you look at the URL, it's different for every game. So Armor Games is hosting thousands of URLs for games, but even more for forums.

Mrshady
Mrshady
2 posts
Nomad

thank you, that helped alot, cheers!

ianhq
ianhq
150 posts
Nomad

well imany large companies with lots of pages such as google and facebook have their own servers. That way they don't have to pay for every single page. They just pay the initial internet fee.

master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

Pretty much any real company that does most of their business on the internet owns their own server.

WhiskeyedJack
WhiskeyedJack
80 posts
Shepherd

Depends on the company. Many of the national/international companies will have dedicated servers that they own, but there are plenty of business that rent dedicated servers from a hosting provider, and I can't blame them. Server farms get to be expensive to maintain.

As far as the number of pages, it is largely irrelevant. It's really the bandwidth that counts and 1000 games on one pages takes up just as much digital space as 1000 games on separate pages. To tell the truth, many of the sites that index a large amount of content often have few to no pages. All the &quotages" can be compiled server-side as the client requests them.

Long-winded rants aside, go for a well indexed, easily navigable layout. It's worth the extra trouble up front.

ooier
ooier
28 posts
Shepherd

one simple word: PHP search it, learn it and use it.

Carlytoon
Carlytoon
324 posts
Nomad

one simple word: PHP search it, learn it and use it.

I read that PHP is for really begginers but you cant do a lot of thing with it, I think that is better idea learn HTML and CSS
PixelSmash
PixelSmash
566 posts
Nomad

Carly, I think you have that backwards... pure html & css is good for the beginning, if you want to do anything dynamical with your site you'll need something with php or ajax or something

Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

@PixelSmash yeah but more javascript that ajax.

I read that PHP is for really begginers but you cant do a lot of thing with it

Hardly PHP and MySQL are the skeletons of making a good dyanimic webpage that is useful. Without a database there are only a few things you can do. You couldn't even make a webpage with individual accounts without it.
Showing 1-9 of 9