Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

The R Word

Posted Aug 16, '11 at 12:21am

supermape123

supermape123

435 posts

Hello.I have seen a few commercials on TV saying not to say the R word.I would personally like to say to all the people that say this word are rude,disruptive,and have no common decency whatsoever.I have a couple of friends that are like this and are the nicest people I know.I just wanted to say that in hopes people would stop discriminating with harsh name calling.If you follow this just comment and agree.

Thanks,Super

Posted Aug 16, '11 at 12:33am

314d1

314d1

3,962 posts

Retard?

re·tard
â â[ri-tahrd, for 1â"3, 5; ree-tahrd for 4] Show IPA
â"verb (used with object)
to make slow; delay the development or progress of (an action, process, etc.); hinder or impede.

So "Slow" is a horrible insult now? Lets look at "idiot":

id·i·ot
â â[id-ee-uht] Show IPA
â"noun
Informal . an utterly foolish or senseless person.
Psychology . (no longer in technical use; considered offensive) a person of the lowest order in a former and discarded classification of mental retardation, having a mental age of less than three years old and an intelligence quotient under 25.

So calling someone the similarity to "A little slow" is worse than calling them "The slowest of them all"? I don't see why retard should be any worse then any other insult.

Posted Aug 16, '11 at 12:34am

dair5

dair5

3,475 posts

I think it's good that people are trying to stop this word from being spread around. It hurts people, and it's not their fault they have a mental disability. the word retarded just isn't a good word and it's terrible that it's used as an insult. It's like calling something gay.

Posted Aug 16, '11 at 12:38am

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,776 posts

Knight

I think it's good that people are trying to stop this word from being spread around. It hurts people, and it's not their fault they have a mental disability. the word retarded just isn't a good word and it's terrible that it's used as an insult. It's like calling something gay.

Though used as an insult or not it can be applied negatively yet accurately.

Posted Aug 16, '11 at 12:38am

314d1

314d1

3,962 posts

Is "Gay" a bad thing now?

Well by this logic we can't use anything slightly insulting. "Fat?" No! Its not their fault and it just hurts them. "Ugly?" No! Its not their fault and just hurts them. "*** hole?" No! Its not their fault and just hurts them...

Posted Aug 16, '11 at 12:43am

dair5

dair5

3,475 posts

Is "Gay" a bad thing now?

It never was. the point is that people are making it seem like a bad thing.

Well by this logic we can't use anything slightly insulting. "Fat?" No! Its not their fault and it just hurts them. "Ugly?" No! Its not their fault and just hurts them. "*** hole?" No! Its not their fault and just hurts them...

It's not about it being slightly insulting. People are constantly making fun of others with this problem and taking anything bad and calling it retarded doesn't help.

Posted Aug 16, '11 at 12:45am

Freakenstein

Freakenstein

9,244 posts

A large cache of the English language (every language, actually) has seemingly-tame words that can be manipulated in different context to be offensive. For this reason alone, it seems silly to censor these words. Or swear words, since they also apply to this argument.

Posted Aug 16, '11 at 12:50am

314d1

314d1

3,962 posts

It never was. the point is that people are making it seem like a bad thing.

So if I start using a random word as an insult (How about dictionary.com's word of the day "polemic"?) it should no longer be used?

It's not about it being slightly insulting. People are constantly making fun of others with this problem and taking anything bad and calling it retarded doesn't help.

So taking something and calling it polemic makes the word polemic bad and unusable? That is polemic. Just because they are used negatively doesn't mean the words should be avoided. So who cares if people go around making fun of others by using only slightly insulting words that they want to be stronger then they actually are? Calling someone a retard isn't as bad as calling someone an idiot, it is like comparing a house to a shack. The word house can be applied from above average to below average, however shack normally has connections to being flimsy and poorly built, as well as being more insulting.

Posted Aug 16, '11 at 12:52am

dair5

dair5

3,475 posts

A large cache of the English language (every language, actually) has seemingly-tame words that can be manipulated in different context to be offensive. For this reason alone, it seems silly to censor these words. Or swear words, since they also apply to this argument.

Yes but this word also applies to a type of people. So it encourages the idea that mental retardation is bad. I've seen kids make fun of it, and it hurts those people because they're given a bad lable before anyone even gets to know them. With swear words this is fine. Poop doesn't care what is called, neither do girl dogs. But when you apply this to people then they're hurt. Like calling a girl a BLEEP. She'll be offended and possibly slap you. It helps no one.

Posted Aug 16, '11 at 12:59am

314d1

314d1

3,962 posts

Yes but this word also applies to a type of people. So it encourages the idea that mental retardation is bad. I've seen kids make fun of it, and it hurts those people because they're given a bad lable before anyone even gets to know them. With swear words this is fine. Poop doesn't care what is called, neither do girl dogs. But when you apply this to people then they're hurt. Like calling a girl a BLEEP. She'll be offended and possibly slap you. It helps no one.

Wait, so it is insulting because it covers a group of people who may be offended by it? That is lame!(****) Whoops. Just offended everyone who is:lame
1 â â[leym] Show IPA adjective, lam·er, lam·est, verb, lamed, lam·ing, noun
â"adjective
crippled or physically disabled, especially in the foot or leg so as to limp or walk with difficulty.
impaired or disabled through defect or injury: a lame arm.
weak; inadequate; unsatisfactory; clumsy: a lame excuse.
Slang . out of touch with modern fads or trends; unsophisticated.

Sorry paraplegics and people with injured legs.

What I meant to say is that is "That is stupid!" (Double ****!) Now I have also offended everyone who is "stu·pid
â â[stoo-pid, styooâ] Show IPA adjective, -er, -est, noun
â"adjective
lacking ordinary quickness and keenness of mind; dull.
characterized by or proceeding from mental dullness; foolish; senseless: a stupid question.
tediously dull, especially due to lack of meaning or sense; inane; pointless: a stupid party.
annoying or irritating; troublesome: Turn off that stupid radio.
in a state of stupor; stupefied: stupid from fatigue. "

Ok. One more try.... "That is dumb!" .... Uhhhh "That is ****". Good found one, since poop doesn't care what it is called.

Reply to The R Word

You must be logged in to post a reply!