ForumsThe TavernSenses

34 6245
snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

To you, what is the most vital sense, out of the major five (sight, hearing, smell, taste, and touch) and why?

If you had to give one up, which would it be and why?

• 34 Replies
Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

I think that the best sense is the sight. I would hate to be blind. Being unable to watch the World's Wonderful Sights. From a simple field to a high mountain. That would be awful.

The only sense I would be able to live without it is the taste: I read on a magazine that the "taste sense" is determined by the tongue. And it can recognize five different "tastes": salty, sweet, sour (I can't recall the other two :P).

"the Smell" can determine more than 25000 different tastes. In fact, without smell people would only be able to feel if the food is sweet/sour/salty/[insert tas/te here] but never REALLY taste the food.

Koru7
Koru7
1,408 posts
Nomad

they are all too important to think one is better then the other. but if i had to give one up, it would be smell. i like to taste things because then it would be hard to enjoy food. i mean if you lose smell, you don't have to worry about something that smells horrible, like a disgusting diaper, bad food, and manure.

GentlemanClam
GentlemanClam
529 posts
Nomad

I'd say sight is the most important. Without it some of your avarage day tasks would be harder. What I would give up would be smell since bad smells won't get in your way anymore. By that I mean if you want to eat something for the first time like stinky cheese but you can't really get to because the smell is so bad and you think it taste bad too but it could really taste quite good. (I never had stinky cheese beacuse of the smell, so I don't know if it taste like it smells...)

Guyguy21
Guyguy21
32 posts
Nomad

I think sight is most important due to the fact us humans excel at it.

I wouldn't mind losing taste.

snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

Okay, now to keep this thread going, an expansion of its discussion to basically everything about senses.

According to this site, humans have many more than five senses. Senses may be things such as detecting time (I think it's been 15 minutes since I got home), hunger and thirst, and the ability to tell where your their body parts are. Ready through the article to see all of them; you could check out the article's links as well.

I think that this is very interesting, and that you can and should consider those things senses. Something has to tell you when you're hungry, right? And how do you explain always knowing where your hand is, almost like you visualize it?

sprooschicken
sprooschicken
1,147 posts
Nomad

I saw a program ( its called QI, which stands for quite interesting, its a comedy panel show we have in Britain) and it said that according to some theories we have several thousand senses, its not widely accepted by there are other, more reasonable theories saying we have several hundred.

snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

I saw a program ( its called QI, which stands for quite interesting, its a comedy panel show we have in Britain) and it said that according to some theories we have several thousand senses, its not widely accepted by there are other, more reasonable theories saying we have several hundred.

A few thousand?! That's a ton! I can't possibly understand or guess what those would be. The several hundred does seem more reasonable, but still I wouldn't even be able to name twenty.
sasukemystery
sasukemystery
1,447 posts
Nomad

I'd give up taste and the most important sight

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

id give up smell. now i alwazs used to think sight is the most important but then i thought about it again. id rather live with just touch then live with all the other senses but touch. touch is the sense that connects you to the outsude world. without touch there is no pain, passion, love, hugs. a person who cant feel anything would live like a ghost. its like as if he knows that there is somthing there but he can never enjoy it. i know that if i had no sense except touch just a small hug from a person would be more then enough to cheer me up. i really think touch is the sense that gives the most happiest moments in life espacially in love life. without touch hugs, kisses, and well... you know what will mean nothing.

so yeah id rather live with touch only then live with all the others except for it XP

Jblaze101
Jblaze101
513 posts
Peasant

By far taste would be the most useless in survival I bet all things considered

aamer13
aamer13
2,569 posts
Nomad

i would so think sight most important and if i didnt i could walk through walls

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

To you, what is the most vital sense, out of the major five (sight, hearing, smell, taste, and touch) and why?

If you had to give one up, which would it be and why?

1. The most vital sign to me personally is sight. I can never imagine not witnessing the beauty of the world.

2. Hearing. There are some things i just don't want to hear.
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

If I could lose a sense I would lose taste. All the others are how I communicate with the world. Other then smell. But if I lost smell then taste would almost be useless. So taste. But to me hearing is most important.

alovera1
alovera1
510 posts
Peasant

i would lose taste to other ones would have to big of a effect

MrWeeaboo
MrWeeaboo
17 posts
Nomad

A lot of you would surrender taste?
Never again would you be able to taste the quality of decent food again..
You'd be able to smell it, however you wouldn't taste anything other than a pile of goop.
I'd surrender my ability to smell. I don't need it as much.
Plus, the added bonus you'd be able to date a girl with odour issues (Or a skunk) and not be bothered by it.

Showing 16-30 of 34