Forums

ForumsArt, Music, and Writing

photoshop alternative

Posted May 16, '08 at 8:09pm

SkullZero1

SkullZero1

524 posts

is there a porgram like photoshop out there thats free? im only 14 years old, i cant afford adobes programs >_<

Posted May 17, '08 at 12:11am

Strop

Strop

11,085 posts

Yep, I use the GIMP. It's a photoshop equivalent with similar layout, except it's much weaker in terms of vector image editing, at least I think.

Posted May 17, '08 at 9:26am

dank

dank

1,045 posts

Knight

Luckily there are many alternatives to PS. I'm not sure what's the best, but I've heard of paint.net, GIMP, and a bunch of others. If you look around, you'll find a big list of them on the web.

Posted May 17, '08 at 10:17am

Vinky

Vinky

61 posts

Yeah I tried to use GIMP, but it isn't user friendly at all. Paint.NET is a lot more easy to handle (it isn't as complex as the GIMP but it's enough for me)

Posted May 17, '08 at 10:23am

SkullZero1

SkullZero1

524 posts

Thanks guys, I'm downloading the GIMP right now, paint.net I'll get on my other computer, but right now im on my old computer, (it's a windows 2000 and paint.net needs xp >.<, but at least my other computers an xp...)

Posted May 18, '08 at 5:49pm

Strop

Strop

11,085 posts

Quick question- is paint.net tablet compatible?

Posted May 18, '08 at 5:52pm

dank

dank

1,045 posts

Knight

It supports pressure sensitivity, though I'm not sure if it also works for tilt, if you have it.

Posted May 18, '08 at 5:55pm

Strop

Strop

11,085 posts

Cheers. Pressure sensitivity's all I'll need from it, at least as far as I can tell...seeing as I haven't got the tablet yet!

Posted May 18, '08 at 6:52pm

SkullZero1

SkullZero1

524 posts

on that note, where would a tablet be available for purchase and how much would it cost?

Posted May 18, '08 at 8:58pm

Strop

Strop

11,085 posts

Most major computer-oriented electronics stores should stock them. Of course, for goods like these I recommend shopping for it online.

The commercial benchmark is Wacom. The cost depends on the model- essentially meaning size and levels of touch sensitivity. The more serious you are about your art, the more you should think about forking out.

For example, I would want to get a Wacom Intuos 3 9x12i. Problem? That's gonna set me back about 500-700 bucks. Getting an A4 sized high-quality tablet is a bit hardcore though; if you want something light, quick and easy, you could look at an $80 Bamboo.

Reply to photoshop alternative

You must be logged in to post a reply!