ForumsArt, Music, and Writingphotoshop alternative

9 4102
SkullZero1
SkullZero1
511 posts
Nomad

is there a porgram like photoshop out there thats free? im only 14 years old, i cant afford adobes programs >_<

• 9 Replies
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Yep, I use the GIMP. It's a photoshop equivalent with similar layout, except it's much weaker in terms of vector image editing, at least I think.

dank
dank
986 posts
Peasant

Luckily there are many alternatives to PS. I'm not sure what's the best, but I've heard of paint.net, GIMP, and a bunch of others. If you look around, you'll find a big list of them on the web.

Vinky
Vinky
63 posts
Justiciar

Yeah I tried to use GIMP, but it isn't user friendly at all. Paint.NET is a lot more easy to handle (it isn't as complex as the GIMP but it's enough for me)

SkullZero1
SkullZero1
511 posts
Nomad

Thanks guys, I'm downloading the GIMP right now, paint.net I'll get on my other computer, but right now im on my old computer, (it's a windows 2000 and paint.net needs xp >.<, but at least my other computers an xp...)

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Quick question- is paint.net tablet compatible?

dank
dank
986 posts
Peasant

It supports pressure sensitivity, though I'm not sure if it also works for tilt, if you have it.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Cheers. Pressure sensitivity's all I'll need from it, at least as far as I can tell...seeing as I haven't got the tablet yet!

SkullZero1
SkullZero1
511 posts
Nomad

on that note, where would a tablet be available for purchase and how much would it cost?

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Most major computer-oriented electronics stores should stock them. Of course, for goods like these I recommend shopping for it online.

The commercial benchmark is Wacom. The cost depends on the model- essentially meaning size and levels of touch sensitivity. The more serious you are about your art, the more you should think about forking out.

For example, I would want to get a Wacom Intuos 3 9x12i. Problem? That's gonna set me back about 500-700 bucks. Getting an A4 sized high-quality tablet is a bit hardcore though; if you want something light, quick and easy, you could look at an $80 Bamboo.

Showing 1-9 of 9