Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Mormon Talk

Posted Sep 1, '11 at 7:30pm

CalvinKidd137

CalvinKidd137

587 posts

do mormon's beleve in ufos

This isn't really a religious question anyways and I personally don't.

Posted Sep 1, '11 at 9:16pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,590 posts

I've wondered this for a while, since the words "Mormon" and "Moron" are so close, do you often get flak from that? I'm not trying to imply anything here, i'm just curious.

Posted Sep 1, '11 at 10:12pm

crazyape

crazyape

501 posts

I hear that you allow guys to take multiple wives..... Does this also imply it is O.K. to do other things in the multiples for you guys? (Aint gonna say any specific activity....)

Posted Sep 1, '11 at 11:08pm

MostlyToastly

MostlyToastly

102 posts

do mormon's beleve in ufos

That's not really a religious question. It's more of a personal, case-by-case basis sort of thing. There's nothing about UFOs in the Book of Mormon or in any other LDS scripture.

I've wondered this for a while, since the words "Mormon" and "Moron" are so close, do you often get flak from that? I'm not trying to imply anything here, i'm just curious.

I've heard it a couple times before, but not too often, and only ever on the internet.

I hear that you allow guys to take multiple wives..... Does this also imply it is O.K. to do other things in the multiples for you guys? (Aint gonna say any specific activity....)

The practice of polygamy or plural marriage was abandoned by the LDS Church in 1896. So no, we don't, and we haven't for over 100 years.

Posted Sep 1, '11 at 11:23pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,590 posts

Why do you believe that Joseph Smith was even telling the truth? Or, more specifically, why do you think what he was saying was true? Just because someone says something and they believe it with all their heart doesn't mean it is so. What makes you believe that all that the LDS church teaches is true?

Posted Sep 1, '11 at 11:45pm

MostlyToastly

MostlyToastly

102 posts

Why do you believe that Joseph Smith was even telling the truth? Or, more specifically, why do you think what he was saying was true? Just because someone says something and they believe it with all their heart doesn't mean it is so.

If I had a dollar for every time someone asked me this question, I'd be rich.
I'm going to be completely candid with you, and say that like many other religious people, I inherited my religion from my parents. That is not to say that it was forced on me or that the only reason I am Mormon is because my family is Mormon. I believe in it independently. But I was not converted.
And once again, Joseph Smith was not the only one who saw the Plates. Eleven others saw them, and swore as much.

The Testimony of Three Witnesses
Be it known unto all nations, kindreds, tongues, and people, unto whom this works hall come: That we, through the grace of God the Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ, have seen the plates which contain this record, which is a record of the people of Nephi, and also of the Lamanites, their brethren, and also of the people of Jared, who came from the tower of which hath been spoken. And we also know that they have been translated by the gift and power of God, for his voice hath declared it unto us; wherefore we know of a surety that the work is true. And we also testify that we have been shown the engravings which are upon the plates; and they have been shown unto us by the power of God, and not of man. And we declare with words of soberness, that an angel of God came down from heaven, and he brought and laid before our eyes, that we beheld and saw the plates, and the engravings thereon, and we know that it is by the grace of God the Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ, that we beheld and bear record that these things are true. And it is marvelous in our eyes. Nevertheless, the word of the Lord commanded us that we should bear record of it; wherefore, to be obedient unto the commandments of God, we bear testimony of these things. And we know that if we are faithful in Christ, we shall rid our garments of the blood of all men, and be found spotless before the judgment-seat of Christ, and shall dwell with him eternally in the heavens. And the honor be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost, which is one God. Amen.
-Oliver Cowdery, David Whitmer, Martin Harris.

The Testimony of Eight Witnesses
Be it known unto all nations, kindreds, tongues, and people, unto whom this work shall come: That Joseph Smith, Jun., the translator of this work, has shown unto us the plates of which hath been spoken, which have the appearance of gold; and as many of the leaves as the said Smith has translated we did handle with our hands; and we also saw the engravings thereon, all of which has the appearance of ancient work, and of curious workmanship. And this we bear record with words of soberness, that the said Smith has shown unto us, for we have seen and hefted, and know of a surety that the said Smith has got the plates of which we have spoken. And we give our names unto the world, to witness unto the world that which we have seen. And we lie not, God bearing witness of it.
-Christian Whitmer, Hiram Page, Joseph Smith, Sr., Jacob Whitmer, Peter Whitmer, Jr., John Whitmer, Hyrum Smith, Samuel H. Smith.

What makes you believe that all that the LDS church teaches is true?

That's a broader question, and kind of difficult to answer. Is there anything in specific, other than the word of Joseph Smith, that you would like to know why I believe in it?

Posted Sep 1, '11 at 11:52pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,590 posts

That's a broader question, and kind of difficult to answer. Is there anything in specific, other than the word of Joseph Smith, that you would like to know why I believe in it?

Not in particular.

I'm going to be completely candid with you, and say that like many other religious people, I inherited my religion from my parents. That is not to say that it was forced on me or that the only reason I am Mormon is because my family is Mormon. I believe in it independently. But I was not converted.

Have you ever questioned your faith, or had doubts in it? If so, what made those doubts go away?

Posted Sep 1, '11 at 11:56pm

MostlyToastly

MostlyToastly

102 posts

Have you ever questioned your faith, or had doubts in it?

My family always encouraged me to question my faith, and to really think about it critically.  Part of the Mormon faith is that people will be punished and rewarded in the afterlife based on their actions, not their beliefs. As long as someone is a good person, they're free to believe whatever they wish. That's actually one of the best parts of my religion, in my opinion, as opposed to other religions that use fear of eternal torture to coerce people into joining. And while I found some parts of the Book of Mormon and Bible that I found somewhat hard to swallow, my faith has never been seriously shaken and I have never really doubted the truth of the Mormon belief.

Not in particular.

Okay.

Posted Sep 2, '11 at 9:47am

Bladerunner679

Bladerunner679

1,343 posts

the thing with this religion is that if you are a good person, a member of this church, and not breaking any laws (state, federal, religious, or othewise), then you pretty much are going to be rewarded. the better quality of life you lived, the better the reward. it can pretty much be boiled down to that in any religion, not just this one.

Posted Sep 2, '11 at 10:05am

Jefferysinspiration

Jefferysinspiration

3,138 posts

I was broswing the internet and came across This link.

I don't want you to stress yourself out with verses as a lot of information is given, but any Mormons have an opinion on any of these "top 10 bizarre Mormon beliefs"?

Reply to Mormon Talk

You must be logged in to post a reply!