Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Mormon Talk

Posted Aug 31, '11 at 10:00am

Bladerunner679

Bladerunner679

1,343 posts

hmmmmm...well I guess it ends that debate.

Posted Aug 31, '11 at 11:10am

Jefferysinspiration

Jefferysinspiration

3,098 posts

Since MostlyToasty mentioned this to me:

Why don't Mormons drink coffee?

Posted Aug 31, '11 at 1:53pm

uselessnoob

uselessnoob

156 posts

Actually, UselessNoob, as I have said before part of the Mormon belief is that non-Mormons will be punished or rewarded in the afterlife based on their actions, not their beliefs.

So then, what is the point of religion?  If you don't need to believe, then why believe?  Be a good person, live a good life and reject religious tyranny.  Life free. 

Gods' got your back either way.

Posted Aug 31, '11 at 2:35pm

Jefferysinspiration

Jefferysinspiration

3,098 posts

So then, what is the point of religion?  If you don't need to believe, then why believe?  Be a good person, live a good life and reject religious tyranny.  Life free.

It's a personal matter. If a person wants to be religious, that is their call.

Posted Aug 31, '11 at 2:46pm

uselessnoob

uselessnoob

156 posts

It's a personal matter. If a person wants to be religious, that is their call.

Fair enough.  I just don't see any extrinsic benefit to religion when the actual practice is not necessary in of itself.

Posted Aug 31, '11 at 3:18pm

Jefferysinspiration

Jefferysinspiration

3,098 posts

After scrolling through some webpages, i want to add to my coffee question.

Is it true it was originally the issue of caffeine?

Posted Aug 31, '11 at 4:58pm

uselessnoob

uselessnoob

156 posts

So is decaffeinated coffee allowed?  I drink a minimum of 5 shots of espresso a day so I take issue with a religion that would disallow coffee consumption.

Posted Aug 31, '11 at 5:14pm

Jefferysinspiration

Jefferysinspiration

3,098 posts

See, i don't know.
Mostly was telling me his religion does not allow him to drink coffee.
(After i made a comment about my lack of it)
Then i looked into it, and it's due to the translation of "Hot drinks" apparently. However less orthodox mormons have said the evil lies in caffeine and therefore they drink decaf.

Mormon answer?

Posted Sep 1, '11 at 10:33am

MostlyToastly

MostlyToastly

102 posts

Gods' got your back either way.
Fair enough.  I just don't see any extrinsic benefit to religion when the actual practice is not necessary in of itself. 

Mormons are rewarded for their faith by getting to live in the presence of the Lord as deities in their own right.

Why don't Mormons drink coffee?

Going back to the Word of Wisdom...
Doctrine and Covenants 89: 5-7: No strong drinks, with the exception of the pure, sacred wine used in Sacrament. "Strong drink" includes alcohol and hot drinks with caffeine such as coffee and tea.
Doctrine and Covenants 88:8: No tobacco or drugs.
Doctrine and Covenants 49: 19-21: You should eat meat, but it is shameful to disrespect the sacrifice of the animal by wasting it.
Doctrine and Covenants 59:15-20: Eat lots of fruits, vegetables, and grains.
Doctrine and Covenants 88: 124: Maintain personal hygiene, go to sleep early, and wake up early.
According to the Divine Promise at the end of the Word of Wisdom, people who follow these things will be blessed with divine health and wisdom. However, we should not judge people who don't follow the Word of Wisdom.

So is decaffeinated coffee allowed?  I drink a minimum of 5 shots of espresso a day so I take issue with a religion that would disallow coffee consumption.

I'm not positive, but I think it's the caffeine that makes it a strong drink. Therefore, decaffeinated coffee and decaffeinated tea would be allowed. But you might want to ask the local bishop, because I'm not sure.
Some other Mormons, myself included, also count other caffeinated drinks such as soft drinks as being strong drinks and thus prohibited, so we don't drink those either.

Posted Sep 1, '11 at 7:05pm

KineticNinja

KineticNinja

165 posts

do mormon's beleve in ufos

I haven't found a single one of your posts that are 7 words or over and yet none of them get removed...

Reply to Mormon Talk

You must be logged in to post a reply!