ForumsWEPRMormon Talk

158 51974
MostlyToastly
MostlyToastly
102 posts
Nomad

So, I saw a lot of threads such as "Ask a Muslim", "Ask a Jew", etc. and thought I'd make one of my own. As far as I can tell, Mormonism is one of the most widely misunderstood religions, so I thought I'd clear a few things up. Now, I'm not like a stake president or anything, but I'll do my best to answer your questions. I can't guarantee I have an answer to all of them. I would prefer it if this thread were not to turn into a religious debate. I've tried debating religion before. As far as I can tell, if you took a recording of a theist's arguments and a recording of an atheist's arguments, stuck them together and played them, you'd get approximately the same amount of actual thinking and listening as what goes into the actual debates. That's not to say atheists aren't allowed to ask questions, of course, just that I'm asking you not to turn this into a debate. I would also request that you keep this civil and polite. I will joke about my own religion sometimes, jokes are fine as long as humor, not malice, is the intent. But I will treat your beliefs with respect and expect you to do the same for mine. Thanks.
So now...go ahead and ask.

• 158 Replies
Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

I want to join the military to serve my country, but I'm not interested in the combat arms. I would like to be an EOD(Explosive Ordinance Disposal) or CBRN(Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear) officer. I won't kill anyone if I can avoid it.

thats rather admirable toastly. the most I plan on being is a vet.
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

That's pretty cool toasty. Patriotic and keeping with the religion :]

CalvinKidd137
CalvinKidd137
891 posts
Nomad

I want to join the military to serve my country, but I'm not interested in the combat arms. I would like to be an EOD(Explosive Ordinance Disposal) or CBRN(Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear) officer. I won't kill anyone if I can avoid it.

Dude that's an awesome idea I never thought of that.
MostlyToastly
MostlyToastly
102 posts
Nomad

thats rather admirable toastly. the most I plan on being is a vet.
That's pretty cool toasty. Patriotic and keeping with the religion :]
Dude that's an awesome idea I never thought of that.

Thank you very much.
@Bladerunner: I don't plan on a military career. I'll just serve a few years. And veterinarian is a far more benevolent(for lack of a better word) career than chemical engineer.
zakyman
zakyman
1,631 posts
Peasant

Sauf pour la language francaise. Il est acceptable de manquer de respect que la language, car nous avons tous le detestent. Je blague. Je me moque de la langue francaise parce que mon francais est mechant. Et mes blagues sont terribles.

Lol. C'est n'est pas vrai. La language francaise est tres belle. Aussi, ton blauges sont tres tres mal
MostlyToastly
MostlyToastly
102 posts
Nomad

Lol. C'est n'est pas vrai. La language francaise est tres belle. Aussi, ton blauges sont tres tres mal

Je suis d'accord avec votre dernier releve, a propos mes blagues. xP Mais j'aime bien les langues espagnole et allemande mieux que la langue francaise.
I'll provide translations, since we're not supposed to talk in other languages on AG.
I basically said "Except for French, we're allowed to disrespect that language because we all hate it. Just joking. I make fun of the French language because my French is bad. And my jokes are terrible."
Zakyman said "It is not true. The French language is very beautiful. Also, your jokes are very very bad."
To which I replied "I agree with your latter statement about my jokes. But I like the Spanish and German languages better than the French language."
Hypermnestra
Hypermnestra
26,390 posts
Nomad

What kind of things do you do when you go to church?

CalvinKidd137
CalvinKidd137
891 posts
Nomad

Well it depends on the class. If you are in Sunday school you learn about gospel stories and such. If your in priesthood you learn about magnifying your priesthood duties. In sacrament meeting you hear other speakers get up and talk about different topics.
MostlyToastly
MostlyToastly
102 posts
Nomad

I assume you're talking about the church services like Testimony and Sacrament, not Sunday School.
Well, in Sacrament(which is every Sunday) the services start with a prayer, then the bishop talks, then there's more prayer, we sing some hymns, some other people get called up and they talk, and more prayer, and more talking...what exactly we're praying or talking about depends on the day, it could be anything. Also on Sacrament meetings, we do the Sacrament. It's like Communion in the Catholic Church, the deacons pass around bread and water(instead of wine because little kids drink it) and we drink it and eat it and say some more prayers and quote some more verses from the Bible and Book of Mormon.
Testimony is on the first Sunday of every month. Basically, anyone who wants to can go up and talk. But they can't talk about just anything, it's usually something like, "My name is ___ and I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, I believe in __ because __." But you'd be surprised how many people talk about random weird stuff during Testimony meetings. There was even a guy once who went up there and started advertising to us "Buy silver! Buy silver!" and usually the bishop politely tells those people(and the really long-winded people as well) to sit down.
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

some other people get called up and they talk

Is this like the readings in Catholic mass, or what do the people talk about at this point?
MostlyToastly
MostlyToastly
102 posts
Nomad

Is this like the readings in Catholic mass, or what do the people talk about at this point?

*Googles Catholic mass readings*
As far as I can tell, mass readings are where you read a specific verse and then talk about it...? Correct me if I'm wrong, because I really did just go to Dr. Google. xP
But in Sacrament, the bishop usually gives the person a topic, like Sacrament, or what you did on your mission(not just proselytizing mission, there are other missions like the Bishop's Storehouses and the genealogical records and whatnot), or comparing their life/our lives to the life/lives of people who live around the world or in different times. Things like that.

And anyone who wants to can go and observe Sacrament and Testimony meetings if they want to, you don't have to be a member of the church to attend.
Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

There was even a guy once who went up there and started advertising to us "Buy silver! Buy silver!" and usually the bishop politely tells those people(and the really long-winded people as well) to sit down.

I've heard wierder ones. the people in my ward are so off that one of our members calls it the "jerry springer ward". one lady went crazy and started spewing a bunch of bible verses. I actually thought she was going to pull out a crucifix and say "by Jesus christ, I rebuke you".
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

Ah, so it is different than Catholic readings.
Sounds pretty nice though - people talking about their mission and that.

Hypermnestra
Hypermnestra
26,390 posts
Nomad

What is a Bishop's Storehouse?

Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

What is a Bishop's Storehouse?

in the most basic form, the storehouse holds everything the bishop's ward has donated. he holds on to it until a family in the ward is in need or when there is a natural disaster and many families are affected.
Showing 121-135 of 158