Forums

ForumsProgramming Forum

What programming language should I start with?

Posted Sep 16, '11 at 1:03pm

Darkroot

Darkroot

2,879 posts

Now AS3 or java I would say java is "querky" and AS3 is slightly "harder", I would learn java then AS3 then C, but PHP maybe be good I have no clue about it!

AS3 is not an language a normal programmer needs to have mastery of at all. PHP is just a database language, mostly for webpages. You could just learn Oracle and be better off.

If you want to be a CS major it's really Python -> Java -> C++ -> Oracle -> Whatever language you like to get the job done after that. CS is not about language it's about the concepts so in higher level courses you just do stuff in any language you want as long as it works it's fine. Most people stick to C++ since having a mastery of that is very important.

video game designer. I was going to become a video game tester which is a great way to get into the business...

For Video game designing you don't really need to do that much programming compared to a CS major.

You really should be more concerned with what video games I haven't because they were out of my generation, Extra Credit and thinking about video games in a academic sense.

Posted Sep 24, '11 at 3:59pm

jackalx14

jackalx14

6 posts

I am just starting as well, and am 15. I personally found notepad++ a great program for practicing any sort of code. You may want to start by modding some code before coding from scratch, and if you do I reccomend the game garrys mod and notepad++ to edit the code and create custom content. I understand modding isn't everyones choice as a starter, but personally its working for me.

Posted Sep 24, '11 at 4:14pm

TheLastGamer

TheLastGamer

206 posts

I dont know about you but i started with java and html because im devolping a site ATM

Posted Sep 24, '11 at 5:36pm

ianhq

ianhq

151 posts

Start with html it is the most basic.(besides basic script :)

Posted Sep 28, '11 at 3:09pm

deadhead50

deadhead50

349 posts

i started c++ as my first language when i was about 13, and it took some time for me to figure it out, but its not as hard as people make it seem. After programming in c++ for a while i picked up java knowledge very fast and easy. Now im making simple 3d games and can program in c++, Java< and python. id say start with c++, after you learn it the other languages are cake.

some good tutorials for starting c++ are

here

and

here

i didnt use any books to learn, im 16 and if you take your time you can do it.

Posted Sep 29, '11 at 1:09pm

Darkroot

Darkroot

2,879 posts

After programming in c++ for a while i picked up java knowledge very fast and easy.

Programming in one language is similar to another it's like learning a new language that is closely tied to the one you know like French and Spanish.

id say start with c++, after you learn it the other languages are cake.

Not a good idea C++ is more complicated than Python or Java. You've only scraped the surface of C++. It's easier to learn the, "common data structures, logic, loops, recursion, other design patterns and Advanced OOP concepts then language itself becomes irrelevant--just a matter of applying syntax. " To learn these concepts you can just work through a low level language but end up learning everything about programming and then later apply to to higher level languages.

i didnt use any books to learn, im 16 and if you take your time you can do it.

Books are written by experts and not students. They are also more cohesive and teach you how to design programs. Your video's are nice but they don't teach you much. Your better off mostly ignoring videos if you serious about learning all there is to know about the language and programming. Videos only provide a brief intro to the language.

Posted Sep 29, '11 at 4:39pm

Somewhat49

Somewhat49

1,669 posts

Your better off mostly ignoring videos if you serious about learning all there is to know about the language and programming. Videos only provide a brief intro to the language.

I'm learning C++ right now (this is first program I am learning) and I agree, videos really don't help at all for me, I like to have the text so I can look at it for a long time without pressing a pause button and there's no time limit for how long text can be so it's usualy alot more deatailed.

Posted Oct 14, '11 at 2:21pm

ATC3

ATC3

79 posts

I would start with c, then c++, then you could learn c#.

Posted Oct 28, '11 at 11:35am

ooier

ooier

30 posts

html -> java (basics) -> know what OOP is ->java(OOP) ->java 3d games (:

Posted Nov 6, '11 at 7:18am

elshobokshy

elshobokshy

161 posts

Go to any learning center if your city. Self learning is VERY hard. Or at least, you wont be as good as someone that is being teached.

Reply to What programming language should I start with?

You must be logged in to post a reply!