ForumsProgramming ForumWhat programming language should I start with?

20 15204
Theheyjude
Theheyjude
114 posts
Nomad

I've recently become set in stone with the fact that I want to become a computer programmer and more specifically probably a video game designer. I was going to become a video game tester which is a great way to get into the business...

But... I live in Detroit... And there are absolutely no jobs here... In that field at least

So I figured I should probably start learning some programming languages before I head of to college and get my degree in programming and desing... (I'm 16 btw)

Which language should I start with?

How should I go about it?

What programs do I need?

Can you point me in the direction of a book and or site that can help me learn?

• 20 Replies
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

Your better off mostly ignoring videos if you serious about learning all there is to know about the language and programming. Videos only provide a brief intro to the language.

I'm learning C++ right now (this is first program I am learning) and I agree, videos really don't help at all for me, I like to have the text so I can look at it for a long time without pressing a pause button and there's no time limit for how long text can be so it's usualy alot more deatailed.
ATC3
ATC3
76 posts
Nomad

I would start with c, then c++, then you could learn c#.

ooier
ooier
28 posts
Shepherd

html -> java (basics) -> know what OOP is ->java(OOP) ->java 3d games (:

elshobokshy
elshobokshy
159 posts
Nomad

Go to any learning center if your city. Self learning is VERY hard. Or at least, you wont be as good as someone that is being teached.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

I did both C++ and C at the same time. So....I won't know which is easier, sorry mate!

Showing 16-20 of 20