Forums

ForumsProgramming Forum

Have a look at my (unfinished) game!

Posted Nov 10, '11 at 4:31am

ExplosionsHurt

ExplosionsHurt

247 posts

Thanks for the data. I guess I might have to create a blitting system to handle the large amounts of bullets on the screen.

I thought I'll clear some stuff up involving the 853 glitch. I have a textbox which is called scoreBox in the game over screen. What should happen is that the text of scoreBox is overwritten with the score. In some cases, it isn't writing the score to the text box, and thus the text box just displays the original number, which is just some random number that I typed in to see how the box would display the score. That number is 853.

I'm assuming that if I change the text box to ??? than it will display that instead of 853. I'll try that, upload the version, and see what happens.

Posted Nov 14, '11 at 9:08pm

SceneTheKid

SceneTheKid

21 posts

Dude, not that bad. Took me a sec to figure out, but i got it now. Could use some "abilities" so to say, like where everything goes into slow motion (except for you) if you collect a certain powerup, or invicibility, or something.

Posted Nov 15, '11 at 12:25am

SquirrelMaster0282

SquirrelMaster0282

92 posts

@SceneTheKid

you should read more of the forum before you post 'cause Explosionshurt already updated it like twice and is now working on an upgrade shop.

Posted Nov 17, '11 at 3:39am

ExplosionsHurt

ExplosionsHurt

247 posts

@SquirrelMaster,

Don't worry. It's alright for people to give their thoughts, even if someone has already said it before. I know that there have been so many people wanting upgrades. This gives me a sense of demand. There is a lot of demand for an upgrade shop, so I'll do that first, then I'll do whatever was suggested a bit less frequently, and so forth.

On the programming side of things, I'm rewriting the entire game this weekend. The current code is really messy and breaks almost every OOP rule possible. I even have animation in the main timeline. I'm creating a modular, flexible system that I should be able to reuse in future games.

TLDR version:
I am rewriting the game to make it better. This means that new features will likely be a while away.

Posted Nov 17, '11 at 7:02am

partydevil

partydevil

5,087 posts

i took a look @ the 1st link. and i alredy can't wait for the final version. got 55 sec on 2nd try ^^

maybe you could add a auto-fire system infront or behind yourself to shoot down some of those blue things. and add something in that way.
something like "Death vs Monstars" maybe.

i hope progress is going well, good luck.

Posted Nov 19, '11 at 4:09am

Smokeshow

Smokeshow

68 posts

We are waiting for the new version! HURRY UP!!!!!!!

Posted Nov 19, '11 at 4:38pm

Kyouzou

Kyouzou

4,753 posts

I like it, the bullets on occasion seem to slow down for no apparent reason, which is somewhat interesting. I'd suggesting adding a bit more in terms of effects when you die, perhaps an explosion or something. Maybe a message based upon the score they received?

Graphics wise, I'm enjoying the simplicity, although I would recommend a little bit more detail in terms of the cannon, or maybe fill it in, so it's not a box/circle.

The music was good, not too irritating, though it could get boring if one plays long enough, so maybe have a track of songs.

My last suggestion is something to the effect of acheivements, or medals, not only will that help game fit in with v3 more easily, but for some people it will make them want to keep playing even after they've gotten bored.

Overall I really enjoyed it, and I think once you get it finished up and give it some polish, it'll be a great game and a lot of fun.

Posted Nov 19, '11 at 6:01pm

invalid777

invalid777

833 posts

WOWOWOWOW AWESOME GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted Nov 23, '11 at 2:52am

ExplosionsHurt

ExplosionsHurt

247 posts

I am rewriting the entire game.

Over the course of the game's development I have learned many things about AS3. Among those are best practises, and my current code breaks pretty much all of them. Consequently, my game is very badly coded and uses up large amounts of CPU and RAM, more than it should.

I have decided that it is easier to simply rewrite the game instead of trying to improve the existing code. As I am now more experienced, it should not take very long before the rewritten version has the same amount of features as the current one.

This does mean that it will take a long time for more features to come. The new version might not seem very different, but it will have major changes under the hood to make the game smoother and faster.

Posted Nov 25, '11 at 11:12pm

xfirealchemistx

xfirealchemistx

377 posts

Nice game. I'm really enjoying playing it.

Reply to Have a look at my (unfinished) game!

You must be logged in to post a reply!