ForumsPopular MediaRap Vs Rock

40 9424
sirmed2
sirmed2
165 posts
Scribe

I 100% HAVE to go with rock. Rap songs are all about violence, drugs and other awful stuff and how to do it. ROCK, on the other hand is the same thing, only how to DEAL with it. Also, for those people who have an ignorant stereotype about how Rock is just screaming, keep it to yourself, for I ban ignorant people from this contest. So, give reasons about how one side is better than the other side.

• 40 Replies
JoshTheBoss
JoshTheBoss
417 posts
Nomad

You hip youngsters on this here internet truly are satirical geniuses. you meant for this thread to be ironic right? I'm gonna write a rap/rock song now about arguing against ignorance with ignorance. It's not gonna have any words!

sirmed2
sirmed2
165 posts
Scribe

[i]You hip youngsters on this here internet truly are satirical geniuses. you meant for this thread to be ironic right? I'm gonna write a rap/rock song now about arguing against ignorance with ignorance. It's not gonna have any words!

I didn't understand a word you said. :P Rock is deffinately not ignorant, though. Talking about how to deal with something is not ignorant at all.
And rock isn't hipster. :P

Rakim
Rakim
143 posts
Treasurer

You just described an ignorant stereotype of rap. I have a record collection consisting mostly rap and almost none of my CDs or vinyl records include lyrics about drugs or violence. I like rock too and I think it's useless to argue about which is better.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

Rap songs are all about violence, drugs and other awful stuff and how to do it.

Because the rap nowadays is the only rap out there, totally. Try listening to some rap in the 80s and 90s; you'll find that most rap songs aren't talking about violence nor drugs. And there is probably few rap today that's still like that. But next time, try doing some research before you post that stereotypical garbage.

I like both genres, so I can't choose one over the other.
sirmed2
sirmed2
165 posts
Scribe

I like the 80s rap. I do. But I was referring to the new rap.

delossantosj
delossantosj
6,685 posts
Nomad

I 100% HAVE to go with rock. Rap songs are all about violence, drugs and other awful stuff and how to do it. ROCK, on the other hand is the same thing, only how to DEAL with it. Also, for those people who have an ignorant stereotype about how Rock is just screaming, keep it to yourself, for I ban ignorant people from this contest. So, give reasons about how one side is better than the other side.

dude.... dont even try and bag on rap for those kinds of reasons. i can and WILL absolutely DESTROY you in this argument.

This is a dumb thread. Rap is a sub-genre of rock. just along with metal, alternative, disco, doo-wop, punk, R&B/Soul, and progressive.
sirmed2
sirmed2
165 posts
Scribe

Rap doesn't sound anything like rock. Rock is drums, gutairs
and hard vocals and rap has computerized drums and autotune.
I like the old rap, that is true, but my liking isn't to the new kind. Read the other comments first. :P

devsaupa
devsaupa
1,810 posts
Nomad

actually, some rappers do use guitars and drums. Just not in the way rock uses them. And alternative/rock bands have a lot more in common then you seem to want to admit. I think you can figure out where i stand here. :P

delossantosj
delossantosj
6,685 posts
Nomad

Rap doesn't sound anything like rock. Rock is drums, gutairs
and hard vocals and rap has computerized drums and autotune.
I like the old rap, that is true, but my liking isn't to the new kind. Read the other comments first. :P

like it or not, rap is a sub-genre of rock. not even an oppinion its a fact.

modern day rap that is played on the radio such as lil wayne, gucci maine, wiz khalifa, are all **** stains on the underpants of the genre.

even in the 21'st century there are AMAZING rappers. Jay-z goes without saying, eminem, Kanye west (except for the 808's and heartbreak album which sucked), matisyahu, mos def, MF Doom, OUTKAST MAN?! COME ON!
devsaupa
devsaupa
1,810 posts
Nomad

sorry for the double post....i meant in third sentence, rock has a lot more in common with rap than you seem to want to admit

delossantosj
delossantosj
6,685 posts
Nomad

eydea and abilities, P.O.S., Nas, MC Lars, Weird Science, Lupe Fiasco, Big L, The gorillaz, the flobots, immortal technique, atmostphere, dude the list goes on and on

JohnGarell
JohnGarell
1,752 posts
Peasant

Rap songs are all about violence, drugs and other awful stuff and how to do it.

Not Eminem's songs.

--

I chose rap. Mostly Eminem. But for rock I like Nickelback.
jayjay9
jayjay9
487 posts
Peasant

Im sorry, John but some of Eminem's song's are about drugs and violence.
In rock i'll choose: Linkin Park and Three Days Grace
In rap i'll choose: Me, and Jay-Z maybe there are more but i can't remember.

Rakim
Rakim
143 posts
Treasurer

I think there still is a whole lot of great rap artists out there. Most of them are just underground. Here are a few good artists:

MF DOOM
The Left
Blackalicious
Edan
Insight
Black Sheep
Pete Rock
Shad
Gracias (Finnish but raps in English)
The Megaphone State (same as above)

There are also some rap artists that use live instruments, for example:

The Roots
ArtOfficial
Othello & The Hipknotics
Animate Objects

It's true that most mainstream rappers are terrible these days, but don't say all rap is bad because some of it is.

delossantosj
delossantosj
6,685 posts
Nomad

This thread is still spam on the grounds that rap is a sub-genre of rock -_-......

And thanks for mentioning the roots rakim. they are actually on my bucketlist of bands to see

Showing 1-15 of 40