ForumsProgramming Forum

Opening .exe Files on a Mac.

Thread Locked

Posted May 18, '08 at 6:43pm

ubertuna

ubertuna

2,262 posts

Knight

I was just wondering if anybody knew of a free program that can open .exe files on Mac OSX. Thanks!

Posted May 18, '08 at 8:02pm

dank

dank

1,045 posts

Knight

You can't actually open an .exe in the Mac environment. You'll need a program such as boot camp or parallels to run a Windows based OS, which you will also need to buy.

Posted May 18, '08 at 8:06pm

steevo15

steevo15

1,660 posts

I thought that there was a program called "crossover" that lets you run SOME windows based stuff on a mac, i'll have to ask my friend about it, for more info

Posted May 18, '08 at 10:02pm

LordBob

LordBob

563 posts

.exe is a Windows based file, which is why you can't run a windows on a mac. The good thing about that is that all viruses run on a .exe file

Posted May 18, '08 at 10:03pm

ubertuna

ubertuna

2,262 posts

Knight

I googled Boot Camp. It's only $50. That's not too bad. I might run out and get that later today or tomorrow! Thanks dank.

Posted May 19, '08 at 5:00am

Kreator

Kreator

138 posts

If you have a leopard mac than Boot Camp is already there. You can also buy some software called VM ware.

Posted May 19, '08 at 10:02am

dank

dank

1,045 posts

Knight

Boot camp doesn' do anything on it's own, you will have to buy a copy of a windows OS too. You could find some good academic discounts on Windows Vista, I can get a copy for free through the Microsoft Academic Alliance. (or something)

Posted May 19, '08 at 12:32pm

ubertuna

ubertuna

2,262 posts

Knight

@Kreator
I know. Leopard is something I haven't got around to buying yet.

@dank
Thanks, but I was going through my old software and I realized that I had an old copy of Virtual PC for Mac. You can lock this topic.