ForumsProgramming ForumOpenGL or Direct3D (DirectX)

7 4956
deadhead50
deadhead50
342 posts
Nomad

So I'm bringing in a huge debate between programmers, what's better, OpenGL or Direct3D (DirectX)? Direct3D only supports windows based systems and if your running lower than vista you have to use Direct3D 9 instead of 10 or 11. Where OpenGL is multi-platform and is open-source but imo is harder to learn. So game programmers out there, what do you use Direct3D or OpenGL for your graphics api?

• 7 Replies
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

I personaly like Direct3D better, but I never really used OpenGL so I can't give a fair desicion.
DirectX is better for making shaders for me though.

Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

OpenGL is infinitely better. Well not really but being cross platform, open source and being as powerful as or more powerful as DirectX. Not to mention that Microsoft copies the technologies in OpenGL then publicly slanders them. I would vote OpenGL.

Microsoft doesn't encourage competition of technologies to keep them from being stagnant and unreasonable. You use DirectX on Microsoft terms and not your own.

So game programmers out there

This is not only a subject of "game programmers" but also anyone in computer science specifically computer graphics. Just nitpicking details here thought.
WhiskeyedJack
WhiskeyedJack
80 posts
Shepherd

Honestly, GLSL (OpenGL Shader Language) isn't that bad and these days you are better off being cross platform anyways.

Well not really but being cross platform

@Darkroot I'm not sure why you would say that. OpenGl is available in Mac, Linux and Windows and GLSL is interpreted by the video card directly (and the drivers thereof).
Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

@Darkroot I'm not sure why you would say that. OpenGl is available in Mac, Linux and Windows and GLSL is interpreted by the video card directly (and the drivers thereof).

Excuse my poor writing let me fix that.

OpenGL is infinitely better, well not really. But being cross platform,
WhiskeyedJack
WhiskeyedJack
80 posts
Shepherd

No worries. I was just a bit confused for a second there.

Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

Actualy I heard that DirectX IS cross platform, but I don't know if it crosses from windows to mac.

Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

Well you probably heard wrong. It's as cross platform as almost anything from large corporations is open source.

Everything to my knowledge that is running on mac is using openGL. I know for a fact valve ported the source engine for openGL so they could run some of their games.

DirectX should be abolished and replaced with OpenGL, mac and linux users would be much happier.

Showing 1-7 of 7