ForumsThe TavernSmartphones

32 6343
IceClaw247
IceClaw247
843 posts
Jester

With the likes of HTC, Sony Ericsson and Samsung in the big smartphone super phone market I think these phones are getting ridiculous. Technology has advanced so rapidly recently, with 3D screens, 1 GHz processor, 4.3 inch screens etc.. But now the two smart phones that will be coming out later this year are BIG. The HTC titan, a windows phone with an overly sized 4.7 inch screen for easy document editing and a hyper fast 1.5GHz processor. This may seem ridiculous but Samsung have just released an android operated smartphone called the "Galaxy Note", this will be competing with the Titan, it has a 1.4 GHz dual-core processor made by Samsung. The screen is not pocket-sized any more it is more like tablet sized, with inches of super HD MOLED screen, this is the most advanced phone up to date. These 2 phones are going to be the future role models for other companies. In my opinion the mobile phone industry is getting ridiculous, what do you think?

• 32 Replies
master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

As long as they continue to be impossibly useful and convenient, I don't really care how absurd they get.

Koru7
Koru7
1,408 posts
Nomad

I don't get why they keep making the screens bigger. Like you said it's going to be almost like a tablet. why would you need a PHONE that big? size does matter but to an extent! to an extent that you can't call it a phone anymore. good topic....

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

Uh u forgot the iphone5. Another big one. But uh yeah why have a big screen? It's supposed to be portable. I thought they were trying to get smaller not bigger. Imagine carrying a tablet every were u go, imagine talking into it. Very akward

devsaupa
devsaupa
1,810 posts
Nomad

speaking of the iphone5...Do you all think it will improve that much on the iphone4, or is it just another way to put a 5 in front and call it better?

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

Ha yeah they r just gonna like make the Internet faster and give u more random apps and make the sound better and stuff. Nothing big, at least I think. I'm fine with the iphone4 thank u very much

IceClaw247
IceClaw247
843 posts
Jester

iPhones are great in every respect and they only have 3.5 inch screens which I find is a good size, but what can you expect from the iPhone 5? They, as you said pickpocket

Ha yeah they r just gonna like make the Internet faster
The iPhone5 is going to be 4G, Apple are a little behind on that one because HTC and Motorola have already done 4G phones in the USA. No one can anticipate what the next generation of mobile phones is going to be.
eddyalex
eddyalex
308 posts
Nomad

As long as they can phone then whats the problem??

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

I use a good old trusty Iphone 4. It's good that they compete as such, it means that their products will not be homogeneous. It might look like an oligopoly since there are few companies, but it's excellent that there's still competition around.

IceClaw247
IceClaw247
843 posts
Jester

The whole point in a phone is that it is mobile (its in the name!) and can call and message, but people wanted more. So they developed internet browsers on them, apps, cameras and touch screens. These aspects of smartphones is what makes them smartphones, making it easier to stay in communication at convenience and make our lives easier.

As long as they can phone then whats the problem??
As I said before, they need to be mobile, big screens as big as 4.7 is just getting excessive and getting further to the point that you can only fit it in certain pockets.
JohnGarell
JohnGarell
1,752 posts
Peasant

iphone5

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/320102_10150307186767447_51127772446_8342142_747426262_n.jpg

Yes, I'm a big Apple disliker.

--

If HTC introduce a phone with extra big screen, then you buy it if you got big pockets. Otherwise not. It's just a special model.

Screen evolution!

Normal phone [not smart] > Smartphone > Surfing Pad > Laptop > Computer > TV > Plasma-TV > Projector > Cinema
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

No Iphone5, just a faster iphone4

IceClaw247
IceClaw247
843 posts
Jester

Yeah, the camera is great and I like the siri thing, I think it changes the whole concept of a phone that can just call can text. There is a big down fall to this "Siri" and that is you need to be in a very quiet place, voice controls never work half the time and end up calling your mother or someone you don't want to be in contact with.

master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

Yep, the IPhone 4S was announced extremely recently, it's available for preorder in 3 days and to buy in 10 days.

JohnGarell
JohnGarell
1,752 posts
Peasant

No Iphone5, just a faster iphone4

But you said iPhone 5 before.

--

When speaking of that you need big pockets for phones...

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/317499_10150299938242447_51127772446_8301491_1209285515_n.jpg
ATC3
ATC3
76 posts
Nomad

John Garell, I agree with you. I am an apple disliker as well. I just don't like the restrictions they place on your software. It is just does not have enough customization.

Showing 1-15 of 32