ForumsProgramming Forumcan anyone help me?!?!

14 8111
danielisscool
danielisscool
4 posts
Nomad

i want to learn how to program but i have no money. is there anyway to learn to program for free??
please help

• 14 Replies
Theheyjude
Theheyjude
114 posts
Nomad

Yes, most beginner programming languages don't cost anything to learn, such as C++ and visualbasics. The only one that's gunna leave you with. A broken wallet is flash cs5, and that defiantly isn't were you want to start

ExplosionsHurt
ExplosionsHurt
249 posts
Nomad

Another option is using HTML5, and the <canvas> tag.

I haven't had a lot of experience in it, but this and this look like good places to start.

pirateplatypusgames
pirateplatypusgames
37 posts
Nomad

If you want to learn how to Develop Flash, search or Flash LiveDocs and Flex SDK.

Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

Another option is using HTML5, and the <canvas> tag.

I wouldn't recommend it, it would be beyond infuriating starting with that.

Python, Java and other languages are free and relatively easy to learn.
danielisscool
danielisscool
4 posts
Nomad

but idk where to learn java i have explored the internet and i got nothing.Darkroot do you know where i can learn it? please give link

KyahcoSukaimasutae
KyahcoSukaimasutae
311 posts
Nomad

well i must tell you going to the free online tutorials will be a mistake but here is a site i am taking going to take video class on for free

khan academy

also i REALLY REALY sugest speeding 8-10$ on a good book from here

oreilly

they have some awesome reads that are as accurate as you can get! just look for a book here and then GO to AMIZON and buy it there! i have never payed more than 10 or maybe 15 $ on a book, this is the best aproach i think!

but i would sugest python or java persanaly (i started with AS3, not the best idea... LOL)

danielisscool
danielisscool
4 posts
Nomad

@KyahcoSukaimasutae dude if you read it says i dont have any money

Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

Here let me give you a tip on where to find tutorials and such here. First link from oracle is fine, everything else is also fine.

but i would sugest python or java persanaly (i started with AS3, not the best idea... LOL)

Yeah since in AS3 you have to deal with the stage and library and it make everything more complex that just a IDLE program.
KyahcoSukaimasutae
KyahcoSukaimasutae
311 posts
Nomad

@danielisscool

well i saw that, but the free tutorails will most likely teach you wrong in one way or another, so though they can get you on your feet it will be hard latter, if you real want to be a good programer you have to pay alittle, you get what you pay for... but you can't even get les than 10 bucks?
but i sugest geting it from the people that made to langue or people that had a derect conectiont, that is why i sujested oriely.

but i sugest this site for any programmer!

programmers at work

though it will not teach you code, it is reviews from programmers that will teach you a lot about programming from big programers! AND IT FREE .

but most of all i wish you the best of luck

yeah but i us engeine a lot so it is easyer also this book has blessed me!

Essentail ActionScript 3.0

it is one of the best AS3 book around... i read the "actionscript the definetive guide" first and now i am slowly reading tough this 900 page book! LOL XD it is wonderfull though!

Dannydaninja
Dannydaninja
948 posts
Nomad

If you want to make flash games for free, use Flashdevelop.

danielisscool
danielisscool
4 posts
Nomad

danny ill try it

Dannydaninja
Dannydaninja
948 posts
Nomad

Basically, if you want to make flash games and get your game on Armor Games, Kongregate and Newgrounds and other flash portals like that, you have three options.

Adobe Flash - The best option but is kind of exspensive

Flash Develop - Free, but is entirely code based, difficult to learn but very powerful.

Stencyl - Free, no code programming required at all. Easy to learn but a weak engine to make flash games. There is only so much you can do with Stencyl.

Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

Fudge, Firefox Aurora decided it would be pretty hilarious to crash after I typed out 300 words.

Summary; there are only one option.

Stencyl - Free, no code programming required at all. Easy to learn but a weak engine to make flash games. There is only so much you can do with Stencyl.

Due to it's limitation you creating an amazing game that AG would take or would get a decent score on kongregate is incredibly low. Unless you are a game design genius. Sadly normal distributions are a blankity blank to be on the high end of.

Adobe Flash - The best option but is kind of expensive

Agreed way too expensive unless you are a student of a institution that can get a student price for it.

Flash Develop - Free, but is entirely code based, difficult to learn but very powerful.

I've only seen proficient programmer successfully make games with it. That's like making Mario python game without outside libraries in difficulty.

Your better of just learning Python or Java and after you get decent at those either switch languages or make a game in those.
Dannydaninja
Dannydaninja
948 posts
Nomad

Darkroot, that's why you don't use web browsers that are still in they're beta build :P

Actually, I had no idea what Firefox Aurora was, so I'm going to download it now and give it a go.

Showing 1-14 of 14