ForumsWEPRNegative Christian Stereotypes

100 36251
TRUdog
TRUdog
1,032 posts
Nomad

What are some negative Christian stereotypes that first come to mind?
Please refrain from flaming and spamming, as always.

• 100 Replies
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

But many 'Christians' simply decided to become a Christian in their teens, after sinning plenty times.

Teen years seem to be the time people are told to decide on stuff: Democrat or Republican? Will you join the military? What religion do you want? Some will pick different things than others. It really depends on the person. Perhaps they just want acceptance; to fit in somewhere or find comfort in something.
LegendaryRedriders
LegendaryRedriders
75 posts
Nomad

I feel like Christians, even though i am 1, are usually based as morons because of cases like John Scopes and the Dover trial, some people take the bible to literal and gives all the Christians a bad name, just like the church, it corrupted and wants money, if u don't believe me see how much money it costs to get into heaven, my grandfather pays thousands of dollars to the church every month.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

just like the church, it corrupted and wants money, if u don't believe me see how much money it costs to get into heaven, my grandfather pays thousands of dollars to the church every month.

Oh I believe you. There's a reason Jesus said he didn't want money to be exchanged in churches. It has truly become a den of thieves. Money dosen't get you into heaven. Why would God want money? The bible says to not mind earthly things. No amount of money will get you closer to God if you're corrupt. You could have nothing at all, but if you're good at heart that's all that matters.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

They travel door to door attempting to convert people to Christianity. Of course only Jehovah's Witnesses do that, but plenty of people fail to make the distinction.

All Christians all close minded, and believe that everyone who isn't a Christian will go to hell.

That's all I can think of that hasn't been said already. Although I am curious as to why we're discussing these, and rather than just religious stereotypes in general.

loloynage2
loloynage2
4,211 posts
Peasant

All Christians all close minded, and believe that everyone who isn't a Christian will go to hell.

But you do have a certain close mindedness if you look at the overwhelming proof against Christianity (Or any religion) and still decide to ignore it and stick with the fairy tails. And by thinking that all people who aren't Christian is going to hell is simply following his beliefs to the letter.

The reason why a lot of those stereotypes are not for the majority is simply because the majority does not follow the bible properly.
loloynage2
loloynage2
4,211 posts
Peasant

stick with the fairy tails

tales.
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

The reason why a lot of those stereotypes are not for the majority is simply because the majority does not follow the bible properly.

To be a christian, means you follow a religion based off the teachings of Jesus Christ. That does not mean that there is any "right" way to follow the bible.

But you do have a certain close mindedness if you look at the overwhelming proof against Christianity (Or any religion) and still decide to ignore it and stick with the fairy tails.

You don't need to deny facts to be Christian. When facts are presented to me I accept them.
loloynage2
loloynage2
4,211 posts
Peasant

To be a christian, means you follow a religion based off the teachings of Jesus Christ. That does not mean that there is any "right" way to follow the bible.

The right way is to follow the bible and not cherry pick. if the bible says it's okay to have slaves, then it should be okay for you to have slaves. If the bible says that you should stone homosexuals, then you should at-least think it's okay.

You don't need to deny facts to be Christian. When facts are presented to me I accept them.

"He who will not reason is a bigot; he who cannot is a fool; and he who dares not is a slave." -William Drummond

A little quote that pretty much sums up what i meant. Yes, you do need to deny facts to be a Christian unless you have never heard the facts, which you should have unless you lived under a rock. Evolution is a fact to this earth, did you accept it? If not, then pick one of the three types of people in the quote that I mentioned above. If people actually opened their eyes there would be less religious people in the world and more deist, atheists, agnostics... Just like the majority of the scientific community.
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

The right way is to follow the bible and not cherry pick.

There are many denominations that go by different belifes. So how are they following their religion the wrong way if that is how their religion goes. I don't think anyone should be able to say what the right way is when it comes to reading a bible. Some people ingore all the good parts, others ingore all the bad. Whats wrong with either way?
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

Yes, you do need to deny facts to be a Christian unless you have never heard the facts, which you should have unless you lived under a rock. Evolution is a fact to this earth, did you accept it?

Sorry I read this wrong the first few times. Yes, I did accept evolution. It is a proven fact, so there is no reason to not accept it.
loloynage2
loloynage2
4,211 posts
Peasant

Some people ingore all the good parts, others ingore all the bad. Whats wrong with either way?

I did not know that you could ignore the word of god.
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

I don't think anyone should be able to say what the right way is when it comes to reading a bible.

Except, of course, according to the bible itself it is the word of God. Thus you should take everything in it as true. Since it does not ever say, "This is a metaphor" it should be reasoned that everything in there is meant to be taken quite literally.
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

I did not know that you could ignore the word of god.

Who am I to stop people from doing so? If you want to ignore parts then ignore parts, I'm not stopping you. I can't stop you and wouldn't if I could. It's your choice.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

To be a christian, means you follow a religion based off the teachings of Jesus Christ.

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." -Gandhi
Very few follow the teachings anymore.
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

Very few follow the teachings anymore.

Thats true.

Except, of course, according to the bible itself it is the word of God. Thus you should take everything in it as true. Since it does not ever say, "This is a metaphor" it should be reasoned that everything in there is meant to be taken quite literally.

I don't see why anything that isn't statd to be a metaphor should be taken literally. I don't think most metaphors state that they metaphors afterwards just so you know.
Showing 16-30 of 100