ForumsWEPRNegative Christian Stereotypes

100 36253
TRUdog
TRUdog
1,032 posts
Nomad

What are some negative Christian stereotypes that first come to mind?
Please refrain from flaming and spamming, as always.

• 100 Replies
zellos94
zellos94
10 posts
Nomad

The kkk was an extremist organization which turned to Christianity around 1915, which is why they'd burn people on crosses sometimes.

That doesn't mean it's a stereotype of Christianity. If the KKK was defined as christianity, then you'd be right. but they were one group that claimed to be christians. that doesn't mean when you think "christianity" you think racism.
deathbewithyou
deathbewithyou
534 posts
Nomad

Yes, you do need to deny facts to be a Christian unless you have never heard the facts, which you should have unless you lived under a rock. Evolution is a fact to this earth, did you accept it?

Okay evolution has not yet been proven. I dont know where you heard this but I cannot find any proof of evolution. Facts mean true not half truth.
grimml
grimml
879 posts
Nomad

[quoteOkay evolution has not yet been proven. I dont know where you heard this but I cannot find any proof of evolution. Facts mean true not half truth.[/quote]
LOOOL! Mage, where are you? I think somebody needs to be schooled.

Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

Okay evolution has not yet been proven. I dont know where you heard this but I cannot find any proof of evolution. Facts mean true not half truth.

first off, I'm a christian, and even I know that's true. I can balance it by letting evolution be the answer as to how god created us instead why he doesn't exist.
loloynage2
loloynage2
4,211 posts
Peasant

Look everyone! This is living proof of what I was talking about. Have you seriously never heard of radioactive clocks? Lenski's experiement? Female driven natural selection? Predator (or prey) driven natural selection (or really any "x" driven natural selection)? Have you never heard of mutations of genes? Or have you never heard of fossils? I mean seriously. You're not trying very hard to learn. You must probably be the bigoted one.
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

Well maybe its that he's been taught into beliving otherwise. It may not be his fault...

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Dude we've been talking back and forth on each others profiles. How did you miss the huge wall of links full of evidence and observed instances of evolution?
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

How did you miss the huge wall of links full of evidence and observed instances of evolution?

Wait...I think there's a word for this...Oh what was it again...Denote? No...Delusion? No not quite...Ah yes, Denial! There we go, that's it.
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

I love when Christians are stereotyped as Gay-bashers.
I think the best breaking of this stereotype in my life was being born Lesbian.

I see yous have gone off topic (as always) to debate evolution. There's other threads dealing with it - enjoy them.

The regular Christian stereotypes i get on a very regular basis since i study religion at college are -

1. All Christians youth attend Bible Camp. (IT WAS ONE TIME OKAY)
2. All Christians hate gays.
3. All Christians attend church because if they don't they will burn in hell.
4. All Christians are racist.
5. All Christians are money orientated simply because Rome/the Catholic church are money grabbers.

Actually, there's too many to list.

MostlyToastly
MostlyToastly
102 posts
Nomad

What are some negative Christian stereotypes that first come to mind?

-Bible Thumpers
-Westboro Baptist
-Homophobic/racist/bigotist
-Threaten everyone with hell if they do not go to Church
-Pedophile Catholic priests
-Hatred and rejection of all science, outright stupidity
I think that's everything...
deathbewithyou
deathbewithyou
534 posts
Nomad

Just so you know the theory of the big bang has been debunked so many other of these facts of haw the world came to be get debunked So i am having a hard time believing in evolution.

deathbewithyou
deathbewithyou
534 posts
Nomad

Oh and Even if i did believe in evolution the bible says that God grabed some dirt and made it into man. Wait a minute dirt becoming man is that evolution.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Just so you know the theory of the big bang has been debunked so many other of these facts of haw the world came to be get debunked So i am having a hard time believing in evolution.

The Big Bang Theory has not been debunked entirely. Whilst it has flaws, it has many observations supporting it, and because of current technological limitations we cannot flesh it out wholly, or state confidently about it's entire nature. What we can do, is propose it as a strong hypothesis, it is still in the process of being developed.

Yes, many facts have been debunked. That does not justify you in saying ALL other facts are false or unbelievable.

Be the same as you saying, for example, since some apples you have eaten are sour contrary to popular belief of them being sweet, ALL apples are sour.

Oh and Even if i did believe in evolution the bible says that God grabed some dirt and made it into man. Wait a minute dirt becoming man is that evolution.

Sigh. Evolution (or more specifically biological or organic evolution) is the change over time in one or more inherited traits found in populations of individuals.

It is not the simple act of giving life to an inanimate object. Get your facts straight before saying something next time.
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Oh and Even if i did believe in evolution the bible says that God grabed some dirt and made it into man. Wait a minute dirt becoming man is that evolution

No. This is simply what someone 5000 + years ago thought because they had absolutely no knowledge on the subject. If you notice, most creation stories are the same. They involve things magically appearing and changing and some moral choice that leads to humanities downfall and loss of grace with god.

Simply put, the Bible is the beliefs of people 5000 years ago. These same people thought the world was flat, natural disasters acts of gods, thought the sky was a roof, etc.

Just so you know the theory of the big bang has been debunked

No it has not.

So i am having a hard time believing in evolution.

Go to Mage's profile. Read the links.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

I see yous have gone off topic (as always) to debate evolution. There's other threads dealing with it - enjoy them.

I go to where the error get's brought up.

No it hasn't it's the leading theory on the formation of the universe.

The Big Bang Theory has not been debunked entirely. Whilst it has flaws, it has many observations supporting it, and because of current technological limitations we cannot flesh it out wholly, or state confidently about it's entire nature. What we can do, is propose it as a strong hypothesis, it is still in the process of being developed.

No it's not a strong hypothesis, it's a theory. Yes there are limitations to it as we can't currently wined the clock back all the way to see exactly what kick started it.

No that's called magic. Which is usually a pretty good indicator of something not being real.

To keep this on topic I will throw in one of the quotes from my profile.

"To most Christians, the Bible is like a software license. Nobody reads it. They just scroll to the bottom and click "I agree"." -unknown
Showing 31-45 of 100