ForumsWEPRNegative Christian Stereotypes

100 36194
TRUdog
TRUdog
1,032 posts
Nomad

What are some negative Christian stereotypes that first come to mind?
Please refrain from flaming and spamming, as always.

• 100 Replies
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

Y'know if someone tried to explain modern abiogenesis 5000 years ago, without technology or examples, saying 'articles known as amino acids and proteins formed into life which eventually evolved into humans' would likely get shortened and translated to 'dust became man'. Just saying.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Y'know if someone tried to explain modern abiogenesis 5000 years ago, without technology or examples, saying 'articles known as amino acids and proteins formed into life which eventually evolved into humans' would likely get shortened and translated to 'dust became man'. Just saying.

I doubt that, it's completely inaccurate from what is explainable. Even if we were to translate it into concepts that could be fully understood for the time. Also some of the basic concepts of these theories did exist, even though our ability to demonstrate and refine these concepts did not.
Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

look, can we please drop the evolution subject. we are explaining this to a crazy baptist guy. death won't listen no matter how much you prove it.

on the christian sterotype subject. one of the people in my church was on his mission, and a lady came out with a cross and screamed "back demon, back!" at him. so if my assumption is correct, another negative stereotype would be irrational, crazy-people.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

look, can we please drop the evolution subject. we are explaining this to a crazy baptist guy. death won't listen no matter how much you prove it.

on the christian sterotype subject. one of the people in my church was on his mission, and a lady came out with a cross and screamed "back demon, back!" at him. so if my assumption is correct, another negative stereotype would be irrational, crazy-people.

Ironically, Death just confirmed many of our negative Christian stereotypes for us. Just saying.
thugtastic
thugtastic
162 posts
Peasant

That's just Catholics

I am a Catholic and I do not know any pedophile Priests, and that was a select few Priests that were pedos.
Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

I am a Catholic and I do not know any pedophile Priests, and that was a select few Priests that were pedos.

have you ever heard the saying: "one bad apple spoils the whole bunch?" that's basically what happened. all it takes is one for us to believe that all do it. sure, you have never seen it before, but somebody has. that means we can build a stereotype from it.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

have you ever heard the saying: "one bad apple spoils the whole bunch?" that's basically what happened. all it takes is one for us to believe that all do it. sure, you have never seen it before, but somebody has. that means we can build a stereotype from it.

It's kind of like how the Taliban is about 0.1% of all Islamists, but they created a fear of the entire religious community.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

What rubbed people the wrong way isn't so much whether the majority of the priests are pedophiles or not but that the top brass of the church helped protect and try to cover for the ones who were.
frisko12
frisko12
420 posts
Nomad

3 words, not counting the quote, is considered spam.

You betya. Theres nothing wrong with that.
(im christian)
I beleve in hell and that all unsaved people go there.
I beleve that ***s are wicked.
have a nice day! (:
frisko12
frisko12
420 posts
Nomad

Sorry wrong quote.

-extremely racist

yup.
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

-extremely racist

You find nothing wrong with this?
cfcbrad
cfcbrad
1 posts
Nomad

Here is a good resource on Christian stereotypes. [url=http://www.changingthefaceofchristianity.com/educate/bible-study-series/]
It addresses the top 5 negative Christian stereotypes. There is also a free-downloadable PDF Bible study on how to correct stereotypical behavior in one's self.

tric
tric
28 posts
Shepherd

That we hate science, and homosexuals, transsexuals, ect.

I really do hate those stereotypes.

flareoen
flareoen
37 posts
Nomad

that we hate all forms of music thank you extreme nut jobs, our catholic priest are pedophiles I have met a few that have done it and won't admit it but they didn't with children extreme racist, **** you KKK jerks. and hating homosexuals, one of my best friends is bi and most I have met don't care about the subject and thank you person for inventing this

gooeyglop1
gooeyglop1
345 posts
Nomad

I would say hellfire preachers. They need not sccare everyone so much. But, in a good baptist church preachers should preach on the subject sometimes.

Showing 46-60 of 100