ForumsProgramming ForumAG3 changes

24 12499
Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

As most of you know AG3 will be released sooner or later. On top of that the forums might get completely wiped. Along with our most prized stickies. Which hold back the regurgitated flood of repeated simple questions. So I propose we start working or think of new updated and more cumulative potential stickies.

It would be nice if we could do it as a community but if people don't want to I would be more than happy to take the burden along with anyone who wants to help me.

So does anyone have any ideas of what stickies there should be or what they should contain?

• 24 Replies
PixelSmash
PixelSmash
566 posts
Nomad

It would be nice if we had a 'rogramming' mod, one who could keep the stickies updated with new stuff so you don't have to look through the potentially huge amount of pages of each sticky.

Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

The kind of stuff you find in a "Intro to CS" class, not one specific to any language. Once you start mapping out concepts like logic flow and OOP it is actually pretty easy to translate them to any language.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing do a beginners python walk through and then take C++ for the intermediate stuff. Thing is each language handle different stuff in a different fashion so those will also need to be specified.

I'm going to start coming up with a list of useful links and resources.

Yeah that sounds good.

It would be nice if we had a 'rogramming' mod, one who could keep the stickies updated with new stuff so you don't have to look through the potentially huge amount of pages of each sticky.

Yeah it's quite sad how under modded this area of the forums is compared to other areas especially the art and writing area.
PixelSmash
PixelSmash
566 posts
Nomad

Yeah it's quite sad how under modded this area of the forums is compared to other areas especially the art and writing area.

Well a part of the problem could already be solved by allowing users to edit their own posts, as opposed to having a mod doing that. But yeah... mod presence in this section is virtually non-existent, which is a sad thing.
Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

Well a part of the problem could already be solved by allowing users to edit their own posts, as opposed to having a mod doing that. But yeah... mod presence in this section is virtually non-existent, which is a sad thing.

We probably are not getting that I've seen people bring it up and it being shot down before. Even a preview post function would be nice. That's probably not going to change either we just have to hope that a developer that wants to stick around comes one day.

Still thinking about AS3
-Basic concepts programming
-Functions
-Stage Applications
-Loops and if/else switch statements
-Application of procedural programming
-Basic concepts of OOP
-Basic's of Encapsulation and Inheritance
-Applications of all material
WhiskeyedJack
WhiskeyedJack
80 posts
Shepherd

Still thinking about AS3

Also:
-Variables (Probably falls under basics)
-String operations and handling
ExplosionsHurt
ExplosionsHurt
249 posts
Nomad

I did write a small tutorial about variables on these forums. It's probably buried around page 8-9 somewhere.

Although, that wasn't actually very good. At that time, my understanding of variables was limited to strings, numbers, Booleans, arrays, basically information. The tutorial reflected this and it means that someone who learnt off that would probably have a hard time knowing what <i>var enemy:Enemy = new Enemy()</i> means.

Dannydaninja
Dannydaninja
948 posts
Nomad

You guys seem to have forgotten about AS2 completely. A lot of developers still use AS2 and still find those stickies useful.

ExplosionsHurt
ExplosionsHurt
249 posts
Nomad

Yeah, I don't really know any AS2, so unless someone comes along to write better stickies it's probably best just to transfer to current ones over to AG3.

Showing 16-23 of 24