ForumsNews and FeedbackUnable to Rate until after five minutes?

31 8865
ScouseWarrior
ScouseWarrior
1,391 posts
Nomad

Should we not be aloud to rate a game until after 2-5 Minutes of being on that screen, as then it will stop people sort of spamming. etc someone going onto random games rating going onto another game rating, without ever playing the game.

• 31 Replies
UnleashedUponMankind
UnleashedUponMankind
7,043 posts
Grand Duke

You don't have to play it, but if AG is going to be more focused on games rather than community involvement (forums, comments), then it makes more sense to reward players for rating games.

You dont have to play a game to rate it, so users can get a really high AP-count simply by spam ratings, so theres no need to play a game and so that is not a really reward.
But if users have to play a game and get achivements, then users simply must play a gbame to get AP. And that is the real focus on games.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

Using that logic achievements aren't either since you can hack. Just because there's a con in something doesn't mean to mark it off right away. Yes, you don't have to wait to rate a game, but you can just hack achievements.

UnleashedUponMankind
UnleashedUponMankind
7,043 posts
Grand Duke

Sure, and a few will do that (there allways some idio**s on the trail).
But its much easier to spam, so now a couple of people do that to get AP, the question now is: will these people hack to get AP too? IF they can hack... maybe.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

It won't be easy if things are changed, such as giving one point for rating a game and setting a 30-50 rate limit a day (I'd say put it at 30, because really, it would take a few hours to play all of those thoroughly, so that's a reasonable amount for avid gamers). Of course you'll get people spam rating, but they can't do it all at once; they'll have to spread it out over a few weeks and I think most will get bored of checking games to spam rate.

Right now the system for rating is terrible; you can rate all the games in one day (around 2,200 games) and accumulate 4,200+ points.

kingofwar1234
kingofwar1234
605 posts
Peasant

This has already been talked about, lets see about five million times?

benjaminio
benjaminio
83 posts
Nomad

i think it'd be nice to keep the AP points for rating games, but implement the time limit that you guys were talking about. mayb a bit longer that 5 mins? if its a good game, you'll play it for longer anyway, and if its not so great, you'd probably need about 5 minutes to become firmly convinced that it deserves the rating you want to give it

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

You don't need to wait long to form an opinion of a game, it only takes a few minutes of gameplay. I don't agree with this idea because then you'll have to wait to re-rate games and you can still spam rate games with a time limit, but not with a limit on how many games you can rate a day. And with this you can re-rate games freely since it won't reward anything.

benjaminio
benjaminio
83 posts
Nomad

So your saying not have a time limit rating the game, but on the actual number of games you can rate a day? Hmmm yea, I imagine if the game is terrible, you wouldn't want to spend 5 minutes waiting around just to rate it low

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

Yeah. I've seen people rating all the games in a few days or a matter of weeks, so AG shouldn't punish everyone by implementing a time limit for rating games. Instead they should limit how many games you can rate a day. I highly doubt many of those people actually play those games, so this should be good to minimize spam-rating. It won't stop it, but it's better than nothing and better than punishing everyone for something a few people do. At least this way they won't be able to waste all day rating games and probably wouldn't care enough to do so because it'll take weeks to actually rate all the games.

devsaupa
devsaupa
1,810 posts
Nomad

I've seen people rating all the games in a few days or a matter of weeks,

See leaderboards on main page.

So your saying not have a time limit rating the game, but on the actual number of games you can rate a day?

That seems like a good idea. Not many new games come out at once so there shouldn't be any issues with that, plus you will have extra ratings to find a game you haven't played yet, if that is all you do. =P But nothing will completely stop the rate spammers, just slow them down.
spigar1000
spigar1000
2 posts
Nomad

how do u rate games?

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

how do u rate games?

Near the comments section of the game, there's a green and black bar, mouse over the black part and it should turn to orange. Choose rating, then click.
LucasDaLegend
LucasDaLegend
1,066 posts
Nomad

I think that 5 minutes is a reasonable amount of time and it should be allowed. It is good so that spam-raters don't go from game to game putting in random numbers or 0.5/10 all of the time. My opinion. If you disagree, no problem let me know what you think.

TheNinjaDragon
TheNinjaDragon
30 posts
Nomad

Can you choose games to download to this website from another website?

LucasDaLegend
LucasDaLegend
1,066 posts
Nomad

Can you choose games to download to this website from another website?

If you are the programmer of a game, you can post it in several other websites. If you are a normal user that enjoys playing games, you cannot copy another user's game into another website. There is no possible way unless you hack which i do not recommend doing.
Showing 16-30 of 31