ForumsThe Tavern(Nostalgia) Was AG better before?

1018 146027
Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

Hello. While I was exploring AG-based Xats, I've met several unactive/banned/"old-school" AG Users. Most of them said that, one of the main reasons to their inactivity here is that the site was better before.

Is that true?

How better? They say that the threads had more quality back in time.

Well, I can't tell if it was. I joined June 26th, so that's not too much knowledge on our awesome site...

- R

• 1,018 Replies
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

I liked the part when users went off-topic every day

We did well for the first few months, and then we had a surge of users, and it all went to hell. Although I didn't know about the "DEY GO OFF TOPIC AGEN" reports.
Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

Then were all going to be newbs. Or really old. However you would like to view that.

It will because all the old users will be flooded out by pure unadulterated idiocy.

Actually, thinking better now, the community will not get that bad after all. If it's a bad thread here, it will be a bad thread everywhere!

But the good thing is that new, quality threads are expected, because, as far as I can tell, a lot of Vets had said that they probably return when AG3 is (finally) up and running.

Although we should also consider that it is time for school, and that detracts from a lot of users' activity time.

Yeah. In my opinion, you're completely right.

It's not quite the same when every topic seems to degenerate into a "You're stupid for believing in god, well you're going to hell!"

This degenerations are likely a combination of fanaticism, lack of correct knowledge or "OMG-I-NEED-TO-ANSWER-DIS" feeling. I believe in God, but you'll never catch me posting some like this.

That might just cause the mods to snap.

*imagines* Ehh *bad pokerface*... That would mean some demotions?

The team is so good at the moment! Lets hope they don't snap... or else chaos will reign supreme (or... such).

His final nail in the coffin was a certain thread that contained excessive swearing and name calling.

Was that thread deleted?

#curious

I liked the part when users went off-topic every day and then the posh users were like "STROP DEY GO OFF TOPIC AGEN" in his profile.

Posh users are better than spammers or vice-versa? It's for sure that both are... not good.

It shall be forever recorded as a reminder to Strop that "Once he tampers with something, whatever happens afterward is out of his hands".

Add that to Kyouzou's statement...

(That might just cause the mods to snap.)

... and you have an angry mod. But as I said...

The team is so good at the moment! Lets hope they don't snap... or else chaos will reign supreme...
Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

Uh... sorry for DP, but fixing:

Actually, thinking better now, the community will not get that better after all. If it's a bad thread here, it will be a bad thread everywhere!

Bolded section...
sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

He wasn't talking about this being offtopic, though

Yeah I know, just wanted to add to the irony..

I somehow doubt they ever could

I don't think any vet or regular in the old days always stayed on topic, but they at least returned to the topic after a few posts.

I said 'think'. If I should know that the reason were in those pages, of course I should read them.

No offence intended, just thought you were to lazy to read through.

Seriously? You can't ignore that there is bad stuff and only talk about the good stuff.

It's only human to try to win in a debate, it's not like anyone's gonna ignore the bad parts of anything..

TTICA

*Chuckle*

The vets were just more active. People were just more willing to have interesting discussions.

*Falls into Nostalgic depression*

Poems aren't even consistently posted anymore

I hardly see any good ones anymore...

Reading this, I'm thinking I semi-left AG at the perfect time, now that I'm looking at what everyone's saying and realizing how right you guys are.

You and me both..

...new idiots take over for the matured users to complain about...

But the new idiotic community is taking over AG, I can hardly find ANY good thread, and I've been on for a week or two...
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

These days, users just go crazy at a mod instead, usually when told they can do something or that the mod is not on their side exclusively.

I have a perverse habit of reading off such arguments you mods have on your walls Stalker!

One thing I do miss is the AMV being active when it comes to, well, non poetry. I don't do poetry, it annoys me to no end because I don't understand it, and I am generally not into that kind of - word vomit.
Sadly, stories aren't that effective anymore because no one has time on their hands to actually write a short story, and even fewer have the time or motivation to read it and comment on it, which is obviously why we post it in the first place. Ego stroking.
Same goes for the art. There used to be page up and page down of drawings and animations and general... artistic talent, but it kinda died down a great deal.
And I know, I could be posting more too, but I am extremely narcissistic and proud and the level of ego stroking is not to my satisfactory, so there.

Miss that bit most of all. Most of my forum posts came from there. And yes...no more stories. Sigh.
sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

The worst part of today's community is for topics like book series or realted, they write like: 'Yeh it was a kool buk'. This kind of spam annoys me the most.

I mean, if you're going to write about a book series with more than 10 books, you ought to write at least 10+ sentences in your post, and that being constructive aswell...

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

The worst part of today's community is for topics like book series or realted, they write like: 'Yeh it was a kool buk'. This kind of spam annoys me the most.

I mean, if you're going to write about a book series with more than 10 books, you ought to write at least 10+ sentences in your post, and that being constructive aswell...

Maybe they don't read them...Idk. Just wondering why many new users are so half hearted.
knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

Woo, six pages,

Considering that I've been taking an extended break from the forums studying, writing poetry and making documents.. I'll try to state my case without overextending myself..

[quote=EnterOrion]Not going to lie, this place has been the same since at least January 2009. Now that the idiots of old have matured into semi-decent users, new idiots take over for the matured users to complain about. The vicious cycle.[/quote]

I'd say this place is much much worse than January 2009. The cycle has been repeated at least twice, with successive degradation.

In response to all mentions of TTICA, it was fun while it lasted but I believe it was obvious the thread was getting more and more bloated. I was not enthusiastic when it imploded during the first week away from AG I spent in a year, but I guess that's the way things go down online. Now I react with amusement when I hear some newer users "reminisce" about the good days they spent in that thread. It was a bloody flash in the pan... that outlived it's welcome. I was hoping it'd live even longer.

[quote=Graham]I don't believe the site was better before, rather, the users are different. When you're new, it's all -woaaah look at thaaaaat! So interesstiiinnggggg..., let's talk moaaarrrrr-, but repeated exposure makes it become obvious; boring. What's really fun is seeing users go crazy (Starscream, -420, etc.).[/quote]

You make a very good point. I haven't noticed anything interesting happen around here since April Fool's 2011 (which was manufactured obviously). And even you've found yourself in trouble more than once, Graham. I also believe the difference in the users is one of the things which made the forums better before.

As for the WEPR, that place has been a death zone for around two years now. Nothing new.

What do I think of the main issue at hand? Well, AG was definitely better before. If that wasn't true, I'd still be around. Sometimes I see all of this nostalgia bull as a frenzy of tear-jerking melodrama, but I know it's at least partially true. Even if I ignore all the awe over glorified 'vets', community dynamics and petty tradition, the forums have still gone down the crapper. I'd hate to say this but Master is completely correct in his opening statement.

AG was better before.

BTW, I'll wait and see for AG3. Geez, I overextended myself

Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

I haven't noticed anything interesting happen around here since April Fool's 2011 (which was manufactured obviously).

I think the only amusing part about that was the community trying to vent their dislike for cormyn without getting banned.

Or was that just me?
knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

That was probably just you.

For serious, I missed the entire thing... which probably wasn't much.

Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

I don't think any vet or regular in the old days always stayed on topic, but they at least returned to the topic after a few posts.

Yeah, now the Off-topic-ness is so strong that some good threads have been locked.

These days, users just go crazy at a mod instead, usually when told they can do something or that the mod is not on their side exclusively.

Truth...

Yeah. If you're writing about a series, why not making a series of reasons? You'll never like a movie series by liking the first title only. Responses like those are generally a way to get AP, aka IwantAPspam (<- came up with this right now :P)

actual intelligent stimulating conversation.

Dang! I would like to be around to have one of those. It's knowledge and socialization!

If I hadn't come to AG where I matured to be a cool-cat internet person where I talked to people with differing thoughts and ideas then me, then I'd be an ignorant close-minded Christian like everyone else in my community (the bubble).

Well, AG helped me to mature as an Internet citizen, as well. I used to be more n00b-like, if that is possible.

Instead, AG provided people of differing beliefs to talk to about certain subjects such as faith, economics, politics, games and a whole lot of other stuff.

You mean that until 2 years ago? It doesn't look like that now, unfortunately.

As for the WEPR, that place has been a death zone for around two years now. Nothing new.

Yeah. All about... nothing... and "Ask a" threads...

I haven't noticed anything interesting happen around here since April Fool's 2011 (which was manufactured obviously)

I bet that it wasn't so uninteresting when Carlie was around and made Armatar contests.

Even though I'm the OP, I feel out of the fray by not being a Vet

I would call myself a Vet apprentice...
knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

I bet that it wasn't so uninteresting when Carlie was around and made Armatar contests.

Those were pretty jolly for the AMW and the conscious folk. I was never really part of that frying pan, but I kept a watch. To be honest, most people worth really respecting on this site have at least made a cameo in the AMW.

Even though I'm the OP, I feel out of the fray by not being a Vet

I would call myself a Vet apprentice...

Maybe next year buddy.
Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

To be honest, most people worth really respecting on this site have at least made a cameo in the AMW.

Vet requirement added to my list: Post something intelligent/creative on AMW.

Maybe next year buddy.
A... year...? Wow. What takes for a "ZOMGTHREADZSPANPAMSPAMGRAMARBED" AG member to be a vet? A decade?
knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

A... year...? Wow. What takes for a "ZOMGTHREADZSPANPAMSPAMGRAMARBED" AG member to be a vet? A decade?

No, just a continued and memorable presence.

Just remember, as long as people like myself stick around you will never be at the very top.
Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

Just remember, as long as people like myself stick around you will never be at the very top.

Yup, it's pretty hard to get past Knight's massive ego.
Showing 46-60 of 1018