ForumsSupport ForumLocked Topic Clog

17 3785
DragonMistress
DragonMistress
1,060 posts
Blacksmith

... no, I'm not talking about a dance. Though that may be fun.

I have noticed recently a sudden influx in locked topics. It really irritates me, because... well mainly because it shows that a lot of people have no self-direction when it comes to asking questions and immediately post something on the forums. Aside from that, it bothers me because many good comments get bumped down and blocked from the first page by these locked comments (especially on the S&S section).

I don't know much about forums, but I know that there can be many different options. If this is even a viable suggestion, I think it would be nice if we could chose a view that doesn't show locked topics. It is sometimes good to see them, to see why they were locked, or to see the conclusion of something, but it would be nice if you could switch to a view that blocked the locked topics so that you didn't have to search for so long to find a good, conversational topic.

• 17 Replies
XCoheedX
XCoheedX
924 posts
Scribe

I would love that also! A TON of topics are locked on the Support and Suggestion forums just because they are too lazy too find an answer, or too lazy to look for another thread that might help them. I think mods should delete the ones that are downright stupid, so other topics will get noticed. I like it, good idea DragonMistress!

The_Idea_Men
The_Idea_Men
102 posts
Nomad

i dont understand this need to coddle any posts on locked threads and milk them for points. why not just lock them and when time is abundant delete them for good.

one of the things that I marvel at time and time again is how often someone will post something that is a lockable offense and 3-9 of the REGULARS (hardcore AGers [not mods or admins mind you]) will post simply to state:
"Hey this is spam"
or
"Someone already brought this up, you should read the post its, mods please lock this"
or my favorite
"This has been discussed in another forum, please, no more posts" (i guess the 'after this one' is implied)

what is the purpose of salvaging a point for each person who jumped on a dogpile that shouldnt be there in the first place? with VERY minimal exception, if a topic is lockable, its totally expendable. at least thats the way i see it.

Girl_Power2
Girl_Power2
126 posts
Nomad

Well there has been alot of locked topics lately I think all locked topics should be deleted or pushed all the way to the last page so that way then you would not really see locked topics.That all so irratates me DragonMistress I would be looking for a topic and then alot of locked topics come up.

G_P2

DragonMistress
DragonMistress
1,060 posts
Blacksmith

with VERY minimal exception, if a topic is lockable, its totally expendable. at least thats the way i see it.

I was thinking of suggesting this, instead of a separate view to get rid of them. I think that locked topics should be bumped to the back. The only reason I would like to still be able to see locked topics is so that 1) I can use them as an example to show others why *not* to make topics like that or 2) to see the resolution of a conflict/comment. Some topics are locked because they were bad topics to start out with, and some were good topics that just had resolution.
Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

We (mods) do need to do a bit of spring cleaning and delete the locked topics from this forum, especially. I will work on that today.

skaterboy123
skaterboy123
15 posts
Nomad

Oh great I really hate locked topics I wish mods would jsut delete them.

jwalshjr
jwalshjr
537 posts
Peasant

truthfully, i do think this is a pretty good idea, i mean i dont think they should be bumped back or anything but a seperate option to be able to not see them would have many setbacks that i could see, besides maybe newer people setting it like that and then posting the exact same thing that got locked because they cant see it

plokkey
plokkey
4,572 posts
Jester

no locked topics should not be deleted beacause people will wonder where they went

but moving them would be a great help

Girl_Power2
Girl_Power2
126 posts
Nomad

Well like what I said they should just get pushed to the bottom but if there spam just delete them.

G_P2

jwalshjr
jwalshjr
537 posts
Peasant

MMMMM...... I don't know if they should be pushed to the bottom, because otherwise none of the newer people would see them no matter what their view selection, and then a lot of people would post the exact same thing and the exact same thing might have to be locked 3 or 4 times a week every week, but the seperate view would be nice, because new people would have to set it like this first, and it wouldn't automatically get like that, haha, we could take this into a debate =P

ubertuna
ubertuna
2,123 posts
Shepherd

We could always just start deleting topics instead of locking them, but that would probably just provoke people to remake the thread.

jwalshjr
jwalshjr
537 posts
Peasant

Ya, like ubertuna said, if the topics totally gone people will think they just can't find it, or just get mad, and make a new one, locking is a smarter idea for me, unless its just total nonsense, like if some just posted like hadgfhksadgfkgadfhkad, for there whole thread, but if its like an actual idea, but dumb, just lock it

DragonMistress
DragonMistress
1,060 posts
Blacksmith

Plus, some locked topics are locked because they are not bad, just posted elsewhere or dead. If we deleted them, there would be massive AP loss.

jwalshjr
jwalshjr
537 posts
Peasant

yes, that as well, so unless it has a bunch of pictures or content inappropriate for this site, you should stick to locking, but also the ability to not view them would be pretty nice, but also, the ability to see topics by like most popular and stuff first, instead of just which was posted in last, would be convenient to some people

Calm
Calm
909 posts
Herald

My policy is usually to lock a topic and explain why I lock it (now I use the kitteh but after a few days I delete the locked topics I find. If we deleted them immediately without explanation, the creator wouldn't get to know why it had been deleted...and would be likely to post yet other bad topics.

Showing 1-15 of 17