ForumsSupport ForumGoing Full Screen: Staying Modern

3 6637
ArmorFarmer
ArmorFarmer
3 posts
Peasant

Going Full Screen: Staying Modern

Hello everyone,

My name is ArmorFarmer and for the past ten years I have been playing flash games. It started in high school when we needed to use custom browers to circumvent content filtering, then it became using hidden locations on the school's server to access our browsers, and finally I graduated and there was no longer a need to use the bits of know-how I picked up over the years to play flash games uninhibited.

Over the past several years I have had less time to dedicate to playing to games I enjoyed with the people I have met. I've always enjoyed the pick-up and play accessibility that flash games have provided and they have become my premiere genre of choice because of that. In that transition I haven't lost what made me a known name in every game I regularly played: I like to play smarter and not harder.

This brings me to this post today. I want ArmorGames to be the best. You are my partner in my hobby and in my dedication to your services I have noticed a glaring oversight that every flash content site that I have come across has had. You have no full resolution option.

I know that will sound silly some to you but consider the following: More and more people these days are purchasing larger monitors, or even using televisions like myself, to play their games on. I personally use a 40â television and sit several feet away from my screen to play my games. I use a standard 1920x1080 resolution. Flash games are in a fixed window and I just can't see the fine details of most games within a comfortable measure. I just can't see the games I am playing. The resolution is just too small in its currently restricted state.

Some of you will say that this is my problem and not ArmorGames' fault. This isn't about fault, this is about a soon to be necessary feature that ArmorGames can get ahead of the curve on and set the standard in the industry.

If you want to voice a concern about ad revenue then go ahead. Premium content and ads will not be reasonably hindered by this. Many flash games use a standard box shaped resolution and in the standard most common resolutions no ad content space would be lost. A perfect example of this is Kingdom Rush. In those odd cases where content can be missed, well you are all a group of successful and intelligent people, I know you can figure out a simple and elegant way to figure it out. Some games, like GemCraft: Labyrinth (Standard) are excellently produced and do allow for a complete (Gemcraft: Labyrinth) Full Screen resolution. Ad content is missed but if you expected such larger resolutions to occur I know you could compensate without too much trouble and still get your piece too.

Currently I can play most games at a larger resolution. I load the embedded .swf file directly. In many cases the games will automatically set themselves to the highest resolution possible and I can play my games unimpeded. This is wonderful for those of us who know how to do that but let's be honest: We are a few and far between group. There are many games where I cannot do this and Epic War 5 Standard is one of them. I immediately went to load Epic War 5 .SWF and found that it was at a fixed resolution and not able to be resized. It was very frustrating.

In conclusion: I am coming before you today and presenting you the way I can best play flash games to my maximum enjoyment. I know there will be some who will be upset at my methods and there is even a chance that ArmorGames will decide to ultimately recode the way content is displayed and I will no longer be able to have my full screen resolution. However, I am trusting that you at ArmorGames will recognize a good thing when you see it and choose to innovate. Stay the best ArmorGames, its why I have been coming back to you nearly exclusively for so many years. Ultimately somebody will decide to do this and it will become prevalent. If it is you ArmorGames who decides to do so I only ask that you keep it simple and do it right. Bloat it out of control and you risk turning a potential game changer into something that leaves a bad taste in one's mouth.

This is what I see on my screen. The resolution may be too large for some of you with smaller monitors but I ask that you view the images at their maximum size so you can see where I am coming from:

Kingdom Rush:
Standard
Resized

Gemcraft Labyrinth:
Standard
Resized

Epic War 5:
Standard
Resized

PS: When loading the .SWF file for Kingdom Rush you will notice that the ArmorGames sword animation flies outside of the regular bounds of the screen. That look really awesome. Don't change that, trust me. Hopefully some developers catch on and implement this effect into their games.

• 3 Replies
VenomClan1
VenomClan1
1 posts
Nomad

how do u make it full screen?

SpamBarad2
SpamBarad2
2 posts
Nomad

there are some ways to push flash to fullscreen, but the problems are 1: it is tricky for logins and 2: you lose the ads (which are the site's source of income)

Certainly a maximised version would be good for a lot of the games which are smaller than a certain size, The other suggestion is one used by some video sites to have a "cinema mode" or "dark mode", greying out the surroundings of the flash so 1: it's less bright when viewing dark content and 2: you cant accidentally click and lose the flash focus (common form of death)

barfingbanana
barfingbanana
1 posts
Nomad

how do you log in

Showing 1-3 of 3