ForumsWEPRJesus of History vs. Jesus of Faith

17 4577
Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

I love this subject in Christianity. I find myself drawn to books on this topic, which has led me to a number of theories. So, I will clarify what the Jesus of History and the Jesus of Faith mean.

Jesus of History - using ALL the certified scripts, texts, and scrolls that were deemed authentic (just like some of the Gospels in the current Bible) to make a theory on how his life went and what his message REALLY was.

Jesus of Faith - using the current version of the Bible to form a mystical man as the head of this great religion. Purposing that there was a "Golden Age of Christ" etc, etc, etc.

Now, I want to write an exert from one of my favorite books. This book was written by Michael Baigent and he has spent the last 30+ years researching this sort of thing. So, the conclusions that are made in the following exert are backed up in his book and many other texts. If you wish to have a list of these to check the creditability, just ask me:

During the course of our journey, we have discovered that Jesus rejected the political activity of his Zealot supporters. This is a crucially important piece of information that has been missed. We have seen too that there is no evidence that he died on the cross; in fact, what evidence survives suggests otherwise. And if he didn't die on the cross, where does that leave the resurrection? His divinity? His equality in the Holy Trinity? These claims all disintegrate once the spin stops...

...And crucially, we have also discovered that there is no evidence to suggest that Jesus intended to be worshiped as a god. On the contrary, his teachings indicate that he wanted each person to have the opportunity to travel to the Far-World to find the Divine for himself or herself--or as he put it, to travel to the kingdom of heaven and to be filled with the "Spirit of God."

Where did Jesus learn all this? Not in Galilee, but more likely in Egypt, where the Jewish community appears to have been more diverse than the Jewish community in Palestine and to have nurtured a more mystical approach to religion.

Further, nothing in our findings suggests that Jesus EVER planned to start a religion, let alone encourage others to write down his words and organize them into an official collection of sayings. In fact, quite the reverse is more likely. I suspect that he wouldn't have minded at all if people forgot him; what was more important to him was that people should not forget the way to the kingdom of heaven, a notion not restricted to Christianity and Judaism.

It should be clear now that history is malleable: we have our facts, but we never have enough of them to able to put our hands on our hearts and say, in all honesty, that we know for certain what happened. ALL HISTORY IS A MYTH, a story created to make some sense out of the few events we can know. The past is a hypothesis erected to explain and justify the present.

In some ways this does not matter, for myths exist to communicate meaning, not history. But in the scientific age we want to know that the myths we live by are, if not true, at least based upon some approximation of the truth. We want to know that Jesus was really crucified, that Caesar was really murdered by Brutus, that Paul did have a mystical experience on his way to Damascus. All these events are PLAUSIBLE, and there is no intrinsic reason why they might not be true.

But what do we do with beliefs such as Jesus walking on water? Jesus being raised from the dead? Peter founding the Roman Church with infallible popes? None of these beliefs is plausible, and there is no intrinsic reason why any of them should be true. Yet many believe them.

I hope that you at least get the idea of what those statements are conveying. We can see that to base truth upon a written word makes it vulnerable to all the problems of interpretation and translation, to say nothing of religious distortion. The danger is that books foster a dependence upon belief rather than knowledge; if there has been one underlying theme, it has been that we need to travel the road for ourselves and experience its hardships, pleasures, and insights directly rather than secondhand.

My questions are these:

- Why are so many Christians hell-bent on not being open to others ideas that are JUST as authentic as the ones in the Bible?

- Shouldn't these notions only further their faith?

- These notions that say that Christianity was not meant to be a religion in the first place is very monumental. Is it possible to change Christianity as we know it?

- Why do Christians think the Bible is the ONLY way?

------------
My topic is not meant to upset anyone, only to spur debate. Please keep this friendly and whether or not you agree with me or anyone that posts here, do not insult anyone or judge.

• 17 Replies
eyetwitch
eyetwitch
737 posts
Shepherd

Cool i'm first to reply!

Alrighty well, hmmmm
I'll give answers (to the best of my ability) to your questions.
Many(most i would say) christians don't really have a faith of their own. They will follow and do whatever their family, denomination, or church say, without any investigation. Thus you get a lot of christians that will not listen to anything that any other religon says(or atheist/agnostic) because they are scared to have their faith challenged, so they just shelter themselves from it all. and are "hell-bent on not being open to other ideas".

The bible stands as the only way because, it is the words and teachings of God and the Israelites(OT) and Christ and the Apostles (NT). Beyond these 2 groups there is nothing else pertaining to orignal christianity. This plus the fact that jesus "said" I am the way the truth and the life, no one gets to the father except through me. So beyond following christ, there is no other way to heaven. so you either follow christianity (and the bible) or something else, there can't be a mixing of religons (amongst christianity) it contradicts the teachings of whom your following.

Thats my take on it all. Not sure if that really answers the questions, or if you are only asking to make people think...btw i like the topic, i should probably do some of my own investigation into this. What is the book?

WildStriker404
WildStriker404
60 posts
Nomad

Ah, the power of the written word. It is ironic that the purpose of writing is to preserve what is spoken, yet so much changes when ink flows onto paper.

People want to belong, and to believe helps them to belong to whatever group they live with. Eyetwitch already gave my answer to the "hell-bent" question. But to bolster that, differing ideas are seen as threats to cohesion by those leading any given group, if not every individual within it.

Also, many people cannot stand having their belief system called "wrong" by others, yet they are willing to do the same. That is, everyone wants to be right all the time.

eyetwitch
eyetwitch
737 posts
Shepherd

@Drestro2
Jesus Christ of Nazarath existed, there is a lot of evidence to support that (*cough* read original post). His God powers are what is desputable.

chiliad_nodi
chiliad_nodi
638 posts
Peasant

Alright. I would like to seperate two groups out right now. Aunt Elba's and Bible Scholars. Aunt Elba thinks she knows it, but never read up on everything and took it at face value. Bible scholars do their hermeneutical background check first. I can't say I'm a Bible expert, but I don't draw conclusions that are not backed up with hermeneutics. I do know however that the Apostles were martyred for not denying Christ. (Yes, again this is subjective to history being wrong, but it is probably true.) If they knew the truth, why would they die for a hoax. They died for believing Jesus was ressurected. In order to be reurected, you need to be dead... Sorry about the spelling.

eyetwitch
eyetwitch
737 posts
Shepherd

@chiliad_nodi
Oh, i have two facebook notes on that sort of thing, anyone interested in an expanded version of what he said? As well as some extra points, on it.

chiliad_nodi
chiliad_nodi
638 posts
Peasant

Well, I would actually like to see what you have. Thanks.

pc123
pc123
146 posts
Shepherd

all of the asners are in the movie expelled and that has almost all of the ansers...

turret
turret
1,628 posts
Shepherd

well i believe in the jesus of history more cause i dont think the new bible is the same as the old bible so i think the the JOH is more realistic to me

kanethebrain
kanethebrain
242 posts
Nomad

@eyetwitch: I think that's what Drestro2 was saying...

@Asherlee: I think the real reason that people continue in a faith is nothing more than inertia. They start in a faith, and changing faiths is a lot of work, and means leaving your friends in the old faith behind. Without a reason to change, most people won't.

@chiliad_nodi: Just because the apostles believed it to be true, does not mean it was. Hundreds of people died in the Jonestown massacre because they believed Jim Jones was their savior, but we don't believe that now.

There's also some evidence that had a historical Jesus been crucified, it's unlikely that he would have died in the few hours on the cross he is portrayed have been there. Most crucifixions took days; it's a form of torture that doesn't require much work on the part of the torturer. The reigning theory is that he would have fallen into a coma, been taken for dead, and when he woke up after a few days, everyone hails it as a miracle. This is assuming that a crucifixion even took place.

@pc123: Expelled is such a mishmash of lies, exaggerations, strawmen, and logical fallacies, not to mention copyright infringement, that I'm surprised anyone would expect it to be taken seriously.

eyetwitch
eyetwitch
737 posts
Shepherd

@kanethebrain
yah i was thinkin the same thing, but i had to clarify since he said

could be
he just seemed very skeptical...and i loove my history...shouldn't be doubting my history...*twitch*...lol
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

I briefly studied this thread and believe that nobody's made the kind of suggestion I'm going to make. I'm aware that it requires a fair bit of background assumptions on the nature of religion, but see what you think of it:

Let us assume that "Jesus of history" is a given. By this I mean let us assume that every significant historical event from his birth (though let's ignore the conception for a bit) to his death (let's include the crucifixion and subsequent resurrection) to be subjectively true, regardless of rationalisations (e.g. whether Jesus "came back from the dead" or "lapsed into a coma and somehow managed to survive"...point being these ultimately don't matter).

What I want to suggest here is the power of the mind. I don't mean to be at all reductionist and say "it's all in your head"...that'd be misleading. What I do mean to point out is that conviction has very real and persistent effects, ranging from the Jonestown massacre to Christianity itself. This power of conviction, the creation of a mythos through the demonstration of one's life (in this case, Jesus' can be used to such great effect...but first the seeds need to be planted, that conviction needs to be placed in the minds of other people, hence the Evangelical imperative: go forth and multiply. That the elements of the Christian faith are purportedly "real" does not matter without belief. In my case, I am saying that the converse can apply, on some levels.

In short: in the case of religion, you can make something real by believing. In light of this, exactly where do the arguments of whether something is "real" or "not real" fit?

I know that some of you will be compelled to reply using 'rophecy arguments', and for now I'll preempt with this: while retrospective matching is very impressive when it all lines up, that a large proportion of people specifically don't believe that Jesus is the man to fulfill said prophecies exist: prophecy does rely on interpretation. And just in case you then start saying "more than a billion people can't be wrong!!!" I only need to remind you of the history of the propagation of the Christian faith as well as the context of its origins.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

Strop, that's the kind of answer I am looking for. So, let me try to see if I understand.

You say that it has nothing to do with the truth of the matter, it's the ideas that have been created, redone, and remixed over the years to suit the needs of the current believers, yes?

It saddens me. I've read so much on Jesus and I love his life and what he did. It is so obvious that he didn't mean to start a church or religion. I see him like Ghandi.

DragonMistress
DragonMistress
1,060 posts
Blacksmith

I think it is interesting that there are so many facts like this, and it doesn't change anything. Many of these sorts of facts are well known, such as the fallacy of Jesus' birthday (it was clearly not in the middle of winter) as well as the general consensus that Jesus was 'white'. I, being open to many different ideas, take in all this information (with a grain of salt, mind you) and find it all very interesting. I doubt that there can be a sudden change in Christianity, since I have found that many people who are very religious are very set in their ways, and believe what they believe no matter what. Hopefully, some religious leader will come across this sort of information and maybe over time, there can be an evolution of religion... wow, that concept made me giggle a little bit.

In any case, thank you Asherlee for bringing this sort of information to us. It is nothing that I would find on my own, but it is very interesting and really challenges common thoughts.

chiliad_nodi
chiliad_nodi
638 posts
Peasant

Any religeon will have fundamentalists. (Scientology) So much of Jesus' life is symbolic. His birthday replaced a pagan holiday. Jesus of history proves Jesus of faith.
We have found the tombs of Pontious Pilate and the High Priest whose name I will not try to spell. They did condemn Jesus and Jesus was crucified, or else the Roman Soldier that was not a follower of Jesus could not have reported an empty tomb. The empty tomb proves that the body of Jesus either was taken or he was ressurected. If it was taken, it would not be taken by the Romans, because they would want to show that Jesus is dead to stop the hype. If the apostles died horrible deaths for it, it would not make sense as to why they underwent so much suffering for something they knew was a hoax.
PS. If a huge stone and guards blocked the tomb, how would Jesus have been able to escape if he just woke up from a coma.
an expantion on my earlier post.

eyetwitch
eyetwitch
737 posts
Shepherd

Asherlee, what is the title of this book btw? I'm very curious to look into this topic...or should i just look up anything by the author you mentioned?

@chiliad_nodi
Not just scientology, you also got the other thousand cults that have spawned from it.

Showing 1-15 of 17