Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

[necro]Do you have any questions to ask a Chinese?

Thread Locked

Posted Nov 11, '11 at 3:40am

Jiangyao

Jiangyao

15 posts

I will do my best to answer.

Posted Nov 11, '11 at 6:18am

sensanaty

sensanaty

862 posts

First of all: I don't think mods like these kind of threads, they can easily cause spam

Secondly: A OP has to be 7+ words long, otherwise it is considered spam, and will get locked

Thirdly: Why does the fact that you are Chinese increase the chance of  anyone wanting to post here?

Posted Nov 11, '11 at 6:22am

nichodemus

nichodemus

11,884 posts

Knight

Well Sens, maybe because there is already an Ask A Muslim thread.....

Posted Nov 11, '11 at 8:50am

master565

master565

3,874 posts

What happens to a child if he is born to a family that already has a child?

Posted Nov 11, '11 at 8:51am

nichodemus

nichodemus

11,884 posts

Knight

So you guys eat pandas, right? I thought I heard that you do..

As a fellow person of Chinese blood....I hope you are making a sarcastic remark...even if it is, it smacks a little of bad taste...

Posted Nov 11, '11 at 8:54am

zakyman

zakyman

1,588 posts

First of all, are you living in China? If so, than I have a whole load of other questions for you.

Posted Nov 11, '11 at 8:57am

nichodemus

nichodemus

11,884 posts

Knight

What happens to a child if he is born to a family that already has a child?

A) It really depends. The rule mostly applies to the urban folk. Rural people are allowed to have a second child, if the first is a girl or suffers disabilities, though birth spacing of 3 to 4 years is encouraged.

B) Wealthier families can pay the government to let them have a second child.

C)Children born in overseas countries are not counted under the policy if they do not obtain Chinese citizenship. Chinese citizens returning from abroad can have a second child.

D) Certain provinces have relaxed the rule and allow parents who are single children to have two children, for example Beijing and Henan.

E)A fine is levied upon people who have more than one kid, though the elites tend to get away. The fine is based on a rather complex calculation. Generally the fine for a child born above the birth quota that year is thus a multiple of, depending upon the locality, either urban resident disposable income or peasant cash income estimated that year by the local statistics.

Sources: Daily Interactions with Chinese scholars, Wikipedia, and of course personal experiences living in China for a month or so.

First of all, are you living in China? If so, than I have a whole load of other questions for you.

Judging from his username Zaky, yes he is from China. Either that or he is part of the Chinese diaspora like moi. I can supplement his answers if he can't translate them to English properly.

Posted Nov 11, '11 at 9:30am

sensanaty

sensanaty

862 posts

In what region of China is it best to live in if you are a:
A) Peasant
B) Person with average income
C) Person with substantially high income ?

Posted Nov 11, '11 at 9:37am

nichodemus

nichodemus

11,884 posts

Knight

I can answer C.

Shanghai or Beijing are good places to live. Lots of foreigners live that, hence it has developed a Western feel over the years, especially Shanghai, even in the 1930s, there were up to 100,000 foreigners thriving in Shanghai, the largest portion fleeing from Russia. In fact they even had a term for foreigners living in Shanghai - Shanghailander. Though these decreased because of WWII, the Shanghai Census indicated more than 150,000 foreigners living in Shanghai as of 2009. What better place to be than a cosmopolitan one?

As the commercial and financial hub of China, it is extremely modern, classy and well....apt for the rich to meet, kick back and enjoy mocktails. Big steel-glass buildings in the postmodern fashion.

Having one of the best education, transport and medical systems in the country does help as well.

Posted Nov 11, '11 at 10:26am

loco5

loco5

1,289 posts

How do you feel about all that easily cured cancer that you get from the factory pollution around? Has China even tried stopping or controlling it?