Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

[necro]Do you have any questions to ask a Chinese?

Thread Locked

Posted Nov 13, '11 at 7:36am

nichodemus

nichodemus

11,841 posts

Knight

What do you personally think of traditional medicine? And by that I mean that kind of medicine where you basically attribute any positive effect to any kind of thing, like that chinese woman I saw in a reportage about spiders, who uses birdspiders (she breeds her own, but also regularly goes out and hunts wild ones -.-), drowns them in water tanks and give her patient cups of that water. Supposedly to heal whatever trouble. Or, I don't know, does chinese medicine still pulverise fossils because they think they're dragon bones?

Nah, the urban dwellers and much of the rural folk use Western medicine now, though Chinese medicine is still used a lot by the older folk and those who resort to home cures.

I recall I did a project on traditional medicine before; traditional medicines do help (placebo effect?) better than Western cures, and I believe acupuncture is becoming more widespread in the West.

As for spiders and that weird old lady, I believe that would be exotic even by Chinese medicine standards.

Posted Nov 13, '11 at 11:52pm

Jiangyao

Jiangyao

15 posts

I heared of this canton fare what is that?

I've never heared "canton fare". Sorry, I don't know either.

Posted Nov 13, '11 at 11:59pm

Jiangyao

Jiangyao

15 posts

More over what kind of education intitutes you have there for foreign students?

I can usually see foreign students in a university's basketball court. But I really have no idea about the services of education institutes for foreign students.

Posted Nov 14, '11 at 12:09am

PanzerTank

PanzerTank

443 posts

I have a question, what happens if you have something like a fifth child? Will he/she be killed?

Are Chinese people unethical?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-15398332

Posted Nov 14, '11 at 12:16am

Jiangyao

Jiangyao

15 posts

is it safe to buy patents for china's industry? or is it just a waste of money and time.

This is my first time to see the word "buy patents". I went Baidu (like google) to search for the informations about it, but I could not understand it at all. I am a real financial idiot. Sorry!

Posted Nov 14, '11 at 12:18am

nichodemus

nichodemus

11,841 posts

Knight

Are Chinese people unethical?

Are all Westerners this crass and rude?

Does this answer your question? You can't pick on a few black sheep and pose a question for all Chinese people. That's stereotyping.

Posted Nov 14, '11 at 12:30am

PanzerTank

PanzerTank

443 posts

Does this answer your question? You can't pick on a few black sheep and pose a question for all Chinese people. That's stereotyping.

Idk how you can compare the two... A two year old being run over twice with 18 people just walking by, that's not a few black sheep, that's alot of black sheep. Did you see what the driver did? He stopped when he ran over her, went on his cell, relized he'd have to pay alot less if she died instead of was injured and drove away.

I meant in your everyday experience. Do people seem unethical all the time?

Posted Nov 14, '11 at 12:43am

nichodemus

nichodemus

11,841 posts

Knight

Did you see what the driver did? He stopped when he ran over her, went on his cell, relized he'd have to pay alot less if she died instead of was injured and drove away.

4 Americans die daily due to hit and run cases. Whoops? So all Americans are unethical too?

18 people just walking by

So from this minute fraction we can now assume the rest of the one billion PRCs are unethical?

Do people seem unethical all the time?

Ethnics vary from place to place. As a foreigner who has lived in China, no, the people there are mostly like you and me, ethical so to speak.

Posted Nov 14, '11 at 12:56am

Jiangyao

Jiangyao

15 posts

Just clarifying that up for you, Jiangyao, because you misunderstood the original question.

Really thank you and sorry for my mistake!
I will answer that question again.

Posted Nov 14, '11 at 1:09am

master565

master565

3,874 posts

Idk how you can compare the two... A two year old being run over twice with 18 people just walking by, that's not a few black sheep, that's alot of black sheep. Did you see what the driver did? He stopped when he ran over her, went on his cell, relized he'd have to pay alot less if she died instead of was injured and drove away.

It's called the bystander effect, essentially it's that the larger the crowd of people, the less someone feels obligated to help. People always feel like someone else there is going to do the job. This isn't common to China, this happens everywhere.