Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

[necro]Do you have any questions to ask a Chinese?

Thread Locked

Posted Nov 15, '11 at 4:09am

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,298 posts

Knight

I just find it a curious thing that a lot don't label him as their favorite. It's just counter intuitive for me.

Well I don't have to root for the person of my own nationality. It's a personal choice, just like say an English person may not (almost definitely unless he supports Man U) say that Rooney is his favourite soccer player. Plus, Yao Ming doesn't play spectacularly well. It's still a personal choice.

Posted Nov 15, '11 at 7:18pm

invalid777

invalid777

2,211 posts

LOL ha nice thread. Anyway, I have a question for you. Do you like to go to China? I went to China last year and I didn't like it.

Posted Nov 16, '11 at 1:18am

Jiangyao

Jiangyao

15 posts

LOL ha nice thread. Anyway, I have a question for you. Do you like to go to China? I went to China last year and I didn't like it.

I am living in China. I am a Chinese.

Posted Nov 16, '11 at 1:30am

Jiangyao

Jiangyao

15 posts

I asked because I was curious about something. During the last olympics, a lot of the Chinese people that I saw who were asked the same question did not say "Yao Ming." I'm not trying to say that you should see him as your favorite, if you really do have a favorite, I just find it a curious thing that a lot don't label him as their favorite. It's just counter intuitive for me.

Well, in fact there are very few NBA fans regard Yao Ming as their favourite. Most of them like true super stars just like Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, and so on. Yao Ming is just a outstanding player, but not a real super star. On the other hand, there are very many people who like Yao Ming and regard him as the best NBA player blindly. If someone points weakness of Yao Ming they will be mad. And there is a obvious fact. That is they had not even heard anything about NBA before Yao Ming joined it. We call them fake fans.

Posted Nov 16, '11 at 1:53am

Kasic

Kasic

5,740 posts

How often do you see people of other ethnicities there? I know here in America I've seen just about all of them at one point or another it would seem.

Posted Nov 16, '11 at 6:07am

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,298 posts

Knight

How often do you see people of other ethnicities there?

Depends on where you stay. Generally there are more ''foreigners'' (Read, Westerners) in the Eastern parts of the country, where the richer folk live in cosmopolitan cities. As you head West, you start to see less of them and more Han Chinese. As you go further West you see non-Han people who are citizens. Meaning they aren't Han Chinese such as Manchurians, Mongolians, people who used to live in Central Asia until the Qing Dynasty annexed them. Though they speak Chinese too, which is freaky. Much of these people are minorities , but they aren't foreigners per se.

Posted Nov 16, '11 at 4:50pm

invalid777

invalid777

2,211 posts

I am living in China. I am a Chinese.

O.o ohh ok. I'm American-Chinese, and I don't like to go there.

Posted Nov 16, '11 at 8:12pm

MrMoneh

MrMoneh

80 posts

I would originally avoid asking them stereo typical like questions, but if I can't help it, I'd ask 3 questions.

Are you good at playing the piano?
Are you good at math?
Are you a terrible driver?

Posted Nov 16, '11 at 10:14pm

invalid777

invalid777

2,211 posts

Are you good at playing the piano?
Are you good at math?
Are you a terrible driver?

I know you're asking Jiangyao, but I suppose I could answer them too.

1) Umm. . . I quit piano in July and I was pretty bad at it.
2) Yeah I guess I would say so. My mom always teaches me everything in the math course in the summer though.
3) [not applicable for me] For my dad, he drives slow, "for safety reasons" and my mom drives fast and reads a book whenever there's a red light. So I dunno.

Oh yeah btw I don't get offended by stereotypes, so I don't really care what people say about Chinese people.

Posted Nov 16, '11 at 10:19pm

dair5

dair5

3,475 posts

O.o ohh ok. I'm American-Chinese, and I don't like to go there.

Why don't you like to visit china, and what part do you visit?