ForumsThe TavernScience discussions.

205 26176
gamer66618
gamer66618
274 posts
Nomad

This is an area for general science and maths based discussions.

Ask me directly for any info on any science or maths based topic!

• 205 Replies
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

No it doesn't...

No it doesn't what? Psychology doesn't use biology and chemistry to help explain causes for behaviors? If that's what you mean, you're just flat out wrong.

Yes, including the brain's synapses.

Yes, it does include those. But just because it has an overlapping field does not mean they are the same thing.
Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

Enough pedanticities (I have created that word) about classifications.

How about Chemistry?

gamer66618
gamer66618
274 posts
Nomad

No it doesn't what? Psychology doesn't use biology and chemistry to help explain causes for behaviors? If that's what you mean, you're just flat out wrong.
No I'm not...
Yes, it does include those. But just because it has an overlapping field does not mean they are the same thing.
They are similar, though...
Enough pedanticities (I have created that word) about classifications.

How about Chemistry?
What about chemistry? And classification of the sciences is a science. So it isn't void of the topic.
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

No I'm not...

You're not wrong, or you're not saying that Psychology doesn't use biology and chemistry? Please explain further.

They are similar, though...

Sort of. They both involve the brain, one more so than the other, however one focuses on the study of it, while the other focuses on the treatment of abnormalities to it.

How about Chemistry?

Pretty much what gamer said, what about it?
Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

Pretty much what gamer said, what about it?

Some interesting conversation subject other than namings. I don't know what to specify as a discussion point.
gamer66618
gamer66618
274 posts
Nomad

You're not wrong, or you're not saying that Psychology doesn't use biology and chemistry? Please explain further.
Both.
Sort of. They both involve the brain, one more so than the other, however one focuses on the study of it, while the other focuses on the treatment of abnormalities to it.
No neurology studies both whereas psychology explains behaviour.
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

No neurology studies both whereas psychology explains behaviour.

This is correct. However, Psychology uses biology and chemistry to explain how these cause the behavior. Just because two fields use the same things doesn't mean they are the same. Both cake and pizza have flour and eggs in them, that doesn't mean they are the same food.
gamer66618
gamer66618
274 posts
Nomad

This is correct. However, Psychology uses biology and chemistry to explain how these cause the behavior. Just because two fields use the same things doesn't mean they are the same. Both cake and pizza have flour and eggs in them, that doesn't mean they are the same food.
No but they both contain the same two ingredients as one another, hence structural similarities between one another...
gamer66618
gamer66618
274 posts
Nomad

Some interesting conversation subject other than namings. I don't know what to specify as a discussion point.
Please do...
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

No but they both contain the same two ingredients as one another, hence structural similarities between one another...

In a way, but not that much.

Neurology is medical, and Psychology is social. You keep asserting that Psychology is Neurology.

Me: For example, Psychology uses Chemistry and Biology to examine the brain and the effects that certain things have on it and that affects behavior.

You: nooo. That's neurology...

You: noooo. That's neurology. That is part of biology, not psychology or sociology...

Me: Psychology is the study of the brain and uses chemistry and biology to explain behaviors.

You: No it doesn't. Again you're talking about neurology...

You: No neurology studies
gamer66618
gamer66618
274 posts
Nomad

Neurology is medical, and Psychology is social. You keep asserting that Psychology is Neurology.
No that you are mixing them up.
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

No that you are mixing them up.

Okay, let's try this. You give me your definition of Psychology and Neurology, and tell me what each field uses.
gamer66618
gamer66618
274 posts
Nomad

Psychology is the study of behaviour. You fix people's emotional problems. Neurology is fixing the brain and stopping tumas and things. And fixing the central nervous system and performing neurosurgery.

Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

Psychology is the study of behaviour. You fix people's emotional problems.

First part is correct. Second part is not. Psychology can be applied to fix people's emotional problems, otherwise known as Psychotherapy

Neurology is fixing the brain and stopping tumas and things And fixing the central nervous system and performing neurosurgery

This part is correct.

Now, on to part 2.

Psychology uses biology and chemistry to explain why these behaviors occur.

Neurology uses biology and chemistry to treat abnormalities and recognize them.

Any disagreements with the above?
gamer66618
gamer66618
274 posts
Nomad

First part is correct. Second part is not. Psychology can be applied to fix people's emotional problems, otherwise known as Psychotherapy
No, that's psychiatry.
This part is correct.

Now, on to part 2.

Psychology uses biology and chemistry to explain why these behaviors occur.

Neurology uses biology and chemistry to treat abnormalities and recognize them.

Any disagreements with the above?
Told you that it was neurology not psychology!
Showing 76-90 of 205