ForumsNews and FeedbackMy solution to editing posts.

17 6043
Aeridani
Aeridani
360 posts
Nomad

Allright, let's get started.

Now, the OP of the thread should be able to be edited anytime by the original poster.

Examples:

Let's say there is an Ocuppy Wallstreet Mega-Thread. The benefit of my above solution would be that if say, A new York citizen gets shot, the OP post could be edited to show the news. You should also be able to edit the name of the thread.

"Comments" on threads should be able to be edited within 2-10 Miniutes of the post of the post.

Here is a scenario:

You just post a detailed message to the OP, then you realize all your links are broken and your post is just a big Wall'O'Text. You edit it to separate it into a few paragraphs and you fix your links. Which makes your post a whole lot neater.

What we need:

Spoiler Tags: these would allow us to hide a big post, such as a conversation in just a spoiler.
[spoiler]spoilertexthere[/spoiler]

Underlined words: Obvious, right?
Words here

YouTube embedding: Do you really want to open a new tab everytime you want to see what's going on?
[youtube]YouTube URL here[/youtube]

Text size: imagine everything useful with this.
text here

Colors: use color codes to code features in an upcoming game, or something.
text here

I hope these (or most) features are implimented in Agv3.

Cheers, Aeridani.

[URL=space.com]test![/URL]

• 17 Replies
ablr
ablr
133 posts
Nomad

With links you need to add "Http://" to the url you want to link it to. (Just so you know)

Most of these would just make things more annoying (like the text size one), but editing posts would be extremely useful and I'm amazing they hadn't put that in years ago.

Aeridani
Aeridani
360 posts
Nomad

Whoops, forgot about the http.

Anyways, I was testing if it works with URL instead of url.

based off of your message...

LucasDaLegend
LucasDaLegend
1,066 posts
Nomad

based off of your message...

Thanks for a link going to some sort of NASA project about space... because that is very relevant to the topic. O_o
If you wanted to test is so bad, you could have just sent the link to the Armor Games homepage... :P

One question; i completely forgot what OP stands for :L - what does it stand for again?
devsaupa
devsaupa
1,810 posts
Nomad

OP is the original post/poster.

Someone suggested this a while back, but if your link/s are broken, it shouldn't take you that long to realize that and fix in the time that will be given. So why would you need unlimited time?

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

the OP post could be edited to show the news

not agreeing whit this. usualy the OP doesn't get readed anymore over time.

You should also be able to edit the name of the thread.

agreeing.

"Comments" on threads should be able to be edited within 2-10 Miniutes of the post

why put a time frame on that? let people freely edit their posts is what i would recommend.
what if i got to add some to my post but it take me longer then 10 mins to write it down. then i can't edit anymore because of this time frame. =S

Underlined words

+1

YouTube embedding: Do you really want to open a new tab everytime you want to see what's going on?

i'm used to have that on a other forum. it works great but the loading times of some topics will get long for slower pc's.

Text size:

it will just be a toy for spammers.

Colors

see text size.

OP is the original post/poster.

and i was thinking it standed for "opening post" =/
devsaupa
devsaupa
1,810 posts
Nomad

and i was thinking it standed for "opening post"

eh, same thing. It's the original post of the thread, which opens the topic, so both are right.
zakyman
zakyman
1,631 posts
Peasant

I think that while editing posts could be useful in some scenarios, they shouldn't be allowed on the forums because most of the debates in the WEPR are based off of quotes from other posts. If you could edit a post, you could just claim that you never posted some controversial material.

Osumnis
Osumnis
1,147 posts
Shepherd

[quote]Now, the OP of the thread should be able to be edited anytime by the original poster.
[/quote]

Up to five minutes should be all that is necessary. If you're writing a long post, it should be obvious enough to reread it before posting it so you can fix most of the errors... Errors should be obvious enough, it's not like you have to look really closely to see them. If you do, then it's probably not important enough to fix. I'm sure for such a small thing people would understand.

But since the topic is editing for the OP of the thread, I really think there shouldn't be a time frame. Suppose there was a forum game. After about 20 replies, the OP decides to change the rules do to what the replies said. If there was a time frame, you would have to put another post in, which may not be seen by most of the people who want to reply to that thread, so either you would have to ask a moderator to edit the title to (see page __).

But if there was a title editor, then there wouldn't be as much of a problem.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

I think that while editing posts could be useful in some scenarios, they shouldn't be allowed on the forums because most of the debates in the WEPR are based off of quotes from other posts. If you could edit a post, you could just claim that you never posted some controversial material.

they can add a line saying when the post was last edited.
this way we could see of they have changed the post after the other posts was made.
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Something something, editing is already being discussed, something.

About the codes...
I don't like codes. Text size and colour is going to hurt everyone around you, underlined is useless if you know how to you bold and italics right, embedded videos is going to be a pain.

I have previously (before I was made a mod, so it is years ago) mentioned the idea of getting a spoiler tag, which is somewhat useful as long as it is actually used for spoilers and not just to mess around, as well as a script-tag for all them people needing to post themselves some code in the programming section. Again, if it is used correctly and not to spike up the text, because it is just horrible to look at, and everyone will skip what you are writing anyway.
These were mainly because they seemed fairly useful opposing other functions, and because the forums are as simple as they are, there is no need for any further way to enhance the text in my opinion.

LucasDaLegend
LucasDaLegend
1,066 posts
Nomad

As you explained, i think that underlining and so on are pretty useless. I think that we should be able to add in a YouTube video without going to the actual site. So we just click play and it plays in the forum. It will be an easier way to explain extremely complicated things and will be a source of relationships with the community. Everyone will get to know each user better and become closer.

Aeridani
Aeridani
360 posts
Nomad

Why can't you just say that it will be a spoiler before actually saying it? I imagine people would see that it is a spoiler before actually reading it, especially if you make it obvious.

A spoiler is an effective way to hide long text that only a few readers would want to read instead of making your post ten times as long.
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

Now, the OP of the thread should be able to be edited anytime by the original poster.

Disagree.

Is someone posts "I think the world will end due to God."

And someone replies with a very educated answer disagreeing, the OP could thus change their original post, making the reply look invalid, arrogant, irrelevant, other words of similar discourse.
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

Just to add ^

If the OP does edit, i think they should only be able to edit a few characters due to the likihood of typos/error. However if they want to change more, it should give both posts, the original in italic.

Aeridani
Aeridani
360 posts
Nomad

Maybe when you edit, it could say: Show edit history or something.

Showing 1-15 of 17