ForumsProgramming ForumWhat software to use to create a game?

6 5312
NOFMAF
NOFMAF
60 posts
Treasurer

okay, i have noe expiriance in that field, so i need some help. first of all i need some good software that can do the job. actaully that it, so if anybody can help thanks!

• 6 Replies
Omnihero10
Omnihero10
2,515 posts
Nomad

well ii am also a noob. but i can tell you that i use free software for i am broke as a bad joke, i use FlashDev. its really hard to work with but its fun to use to make stupid pic with.

Also Stencyl is really easy to use. you basically have to make your sprit in paint or somthing, and you follow the tutorials and it will explain how the interface works. it is reall simple and you can conver the game to a .Swf ( which is the kind of file that armorgames accepcts) and you can up load it to the website.

there are a bunch of others... but the cost all kinds of money and whatnot

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

Didn't you see my post in this thread? You even posted there after that, so I expect you did.

Well, if you are a newcomer to game making then it's best to experiment some with Stencyl and FlashDevelop since those are free and very newcomer friendly, and also try learning how to code properly so you can actually compile the code to make a game and possibly try the programs that cost money after you've learned. You'll also need to make your own art or work with somebody that can make good art; however, if you want to do it yourself then I'd recommend Pencil as a free program. GIMP is also another good free program for making art. PhotoShop is excellent from what I've heard, but that costs money. Other than that, those threads I linked to in your previous thread will probably answer most of your questions. But if you still have some then fire away.

Marcus101
Marcus101
40 posts
Shepherd

I Just used Stencyl, its really good, try it

Smokeshow
Smokeshow
69 posts
Peasant

There are a lot of softwares to create game (Flashdevelop(Hard), Flixel, Stencyl(easy), Game Maker(easy), Dame, Adobe Flash CS5)

You can find some good tutorials here http://www.photonstorm.com/

pirateplatypusgames
pirateplatypusgames
37 posts
Nomad

I've been playing around with learning some AS3. My preferred way of doing things is to make the artwork with Inkscape (inkscape.org) and code in a text editor and then compile with the FlexSDK.

mightybob
mightybob
360 posts
Peasant

I am learning Flash CS5, if you are in school you can get a massive
student discount!

Showing 1-6 of 6