Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Do Grades Prohibit Real Learning?

Thread Locked

Posted Dec 10, '11 at 1:29pm

AnaLoGMunKy

AnaLoGMunKy

1,625 posts

hate grades, all that happens is i get screamed at and told that i will work at mcdonalds by my parents

Haha I thought only I got the MCDonalds threat, I guess it's a common thing to threaten a child with after beating a child was deemed illegal.

Not only that, but isnt McDonalds the place where uneducated poor people eat?

Posted Dec 10, '11 at 1:32pm

Alexistigerspice

Alexistigerspice

654 posts

Yeah, McDonalds all around is a bad bad place. 
I never got the McDonalds threat, but my mom told me I would end up a hobo if I kept talking back or something.

Posted Dec 10, '11 at 1:32pm

Somewhat49

Somewhat49

1,608 posts

2) Grades/Test results have been severely perverted by the school system to the point where learning is secondary to getting the grade. So long as you can pass the test, you're "good" and that's all that matters.

Agreed, I seriously didn't even learn half the time I was in math class because instead of actualy telling us WHY we are doing this and WHY the method works, they just tell us the shortcuts and make us memorize it (luckily I no longer have that, but I was pretty much screwed when it came to math because I was only learning shortcuts, now I actualy have a teacher that lets us discover the shortcuts for ourselves and then lets us use it)

School should be about learning, but it's not. School is about putting up with all the bull**** and proving that you can do what you're told, when you're told.

Yea, the military should be the one doing that.

Yup. As long as you do what is asked, (which should be simple at that grade level) you will always pass. Often with B's or even A's.

I remember my science teacher ued to always tell my class that it wasn't the fact that we were smart that we got into the specialized class, it was just because we were good students.

Posted Dec 10, '11 at 1:35pm

Somewhat49

Somewhat49

1,608 posts

You should tell my mom about that.  I dont think she got the memo.
We should all get stars or something non threatening.  Grades are really stressful sometimess.

Nah, I used to really hate stars, probably because at the time when I was gettin stars my teachers were all having extream favoratisms.

I think that that is generalizing it way too much, I have eating there when I was little, but yes I don't anymore.

Posted Dec 10, '11 at 1:44pm

Somewhat49

Somewhat49

1,608 posts

As you progress up the education bar, getting an A is harder. It was 90% when I was in Primary (Elementary) School, 80% when I was in Secondary (What's the equivalent?), and now it's 70% (I'm 17 now).

I actualy found that getting an A got easier and easier the older I got (not in collage yet) Like when I was in PS everything was "WHY DID I HAVE TO COME HERE!" (PS actualy made me hate coloring, no joke) The in IS or secondary it was "oh, now that I know what they are expectin of me I can do this" then is highschool it's "wow, this is exactly what I learned last year, plus I now don't have focus problems!"

Posted Dec 10, '11 at 2:34pm

AnaLoGMunKy

AnaLoGMunKy

1,625 posts

I think that that is generalizing it way too much, I have eating there when I was little, but yes I don't anymore.

I guess I was sort of kidding, but then... sort of not either.

Posted Dec 11, '11 at 2:14am

Sonatavarius

Sonatavarius

1,344 posts

My ideal system would have the student learn the material at their own pace, and then they elect to take the test whenever they felt confident in their knowledge of the material.  It is a similar concept to taking belt tests in karate.  You could either have certain tests offered periodically or just give a student a unique test whenever they request to take it.  Mix and match test banks could let that happen.  Due to money issues, time restraints, the number of people, and how the current way helps in ranking people, it makes my way inefficient and unrealistic.

btw... the word you're all looking for is "inhibit."  Grades never told me that they wouldn't allow me to learn.

Posted Dec 11, '11 at 2:19am

devsaupa

devsaupa

924 posts

My ideal system would have the student learn the material at their own pace, and then they elect to take the test whenever they felt confident in their knowledge of the material.

Looks good on paper, but that would eliminate vacation for some people because 1. you would have students that abuse the system and 2. If a certain student is a bit slow, he will not learn as fast as his peers so you would have some mid teens still with a junior high education.

Posted Dec 11, '11 at 2:32am

Sonatavarius

Sonatavarius

1,344 posts

With the lack of caring in some students now, we have college aged people who can barely write.  I say let the ones who want to fall through the cracks fall.  If someone wants help, then you see what you can do.  Your issue is that someone might feel bad if they're not on pace with the other kids their age.  That sounds like a decent motivator for me... at least for the ones who actually want help.  I'm a chemistry tutor for my college. I had someone come in last week asking me to teach him everything about gen chem during the two hour block I work.  After spending 3 months in a gen chem class, he didn't even know how to read what's on a periodic table.  Just because someone has gone through the motion of sitting in classes doesn't mean that they have that caliber of an education.  I'd say that a large number of "high school" graduates nowadays still can't read or right.... so they don't have a "high school" education.  We just give them the title, so they'll feel good about themselves.

Posted Dec 11, '11 at 2:50am

devsaupa

devsaupa

924 posts

I say let the ones who want to fall through the cracks fall.

But then you have people that can't hold a job, or get a good one, and they go on welfare. And the crime rate will rise. The current system just hangs on to the hope that somewhere along the line, those that don't care will get some sort of motivation. Many people I go to school with are just waiting for their diploma and trying to scoot by. And these people end up dealing, going on welfare, or robbing to get by.