ForumsWEPRYour thoughts on end of world 2012?

214 51239
CommanderBrenden
CommanderBrenden
709 posts
Nomad

Me. I think its fake. The mayans could have been killed off by their enemy or something. And some random guy comes up to and starts spreadint the "End of the world" Making millions of ppl freak out.

We will only know when the time comes. Until then enjoy your life.
  • 214 Replies
getanewhouse
getanewhouse
44 posts
Nomad

If the Mayans are gone then their calendar is off by a long shot. Their world ended already. Maybe their calendar is just positive thinking?

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Their world ended already.

They were predicting the end of the Earth, not the end of their own civilization. Just pointing out.
MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

Actually the Mayan calendar predicts no such thing. It is simply the end of another cycle. Their calendar doesn't actually even approach an "end" of any sort until ~63 million years from now.

Research: People need to do it.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Darn it, my bad, I get caught up in the myth thing so much I slipped into believing it.

Regarding the 63 million year thing, since some sites referred not to the alautun, 63 million years cycle, as the end of the cycle, but the pictun. I've had a few sites telling me that 2012 isn't the end, but that the Mayans believed that at the conclusion of each pictun cycle of about 7,885 years the universe is destroyed and re-created.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

, but that the Mayans believed that at the conclusion of each pictun cycle of about 7,885 years the universe is destroyed and re-created.

After what I've read about this part of their myths (assuming the source was correct), I think each time a different catastrophe is supposed to happen and wipe out all except one pair of humans who will procreate the next human civilization.

...man, they must've had some crappy genes...
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

The problem is, I don't know whether it's true or false.

44Flames
44Flames
585 posts
Nomad

Mayans believed that at the conclusion of each pictun cycle of about 7,885 years the universe is destroyed and re-created.

But the universe has been around for billions of years? and it was never destroyed and re-created every 7,885 years.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

The Mayans have never heard of the Big Bang Theory and all the modern scientific theories we have? It was part of their religion, in other words, what they believed was all a leap of faith on something they almost definitely plucked out of the thin air.

44Flames
44Flames
585 posts
Nomad

what they believed was all a leap of faith on something they almost definitely plucked out of the thin air.

So like how people think there is no God. Lol just kidding around.

But ya I definatley think that we should nto determine the end of the worl because of some Mayan phlosophy.
TheLostGoldfish
TheLostGoldfish
2 posts
Nomad

How it goes is that the Mayan calendar is just starting a new cycle...
I mean, the world doesn't end every January 1st, does it? The Mayans merely have a 5,126-year long cycle, thats all.
...Besides, the so-called "end day", even if it was real, could be several DECADES off. There's bound to be calculation blips here and there.

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,778 posts
Chamberlain

it won't happen

besides why on earth would they be able to predict the end of the world and not anyone else with all of this technology it's just stupid

xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,711 posts
Blacksmith

besides why on earth would they be able to predict the end of the world and not anyone else with all of this technology it's just stupid

if you wear these shoes you will someday find your true love.

^from avatar the last airbender. if they continue to say the world will end today and it happens someday they can say: we told you the world would end today.
Roccess
Roccess
240 posts
Peasant

Notice how the numbers match up: 12/21/12. It was when the Mayan callendar reset. NOT when the world will end. Kthxbai.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

Notice how the numbers match up: 12/21/12.

The Gregorian Calendar wasn't even established until the late 1500s. Those numbers have nothing to do with the Maya.
massmurrder
massmurrder
143 posts
Nomad

No only god knows when end of the world will be
and if you tried to think you wont know because you dont know what will happen in future
but its good that your finding out when it will be but we wont know when it will be.

Showing 106-120 of 214