Forums

ForumsVideo Games

Hacking is right

Posted Jan 10, '12 at 5:55pm

leo99rules

leo99rules

2,844 posts

Ok Hacking for self benefit /=/ hacking for everyone

I used to play a game on wii called goldeneye. It was the most unbalanced game you could play yet the community didn't complain at all.

Anyways in this game if you played as odd job in split screen you could throw hats instead of grenades.

A hacker called "hats_only" made lobbies and everyone could not use weapons at all. All they could use is hats.

That is what I call fun hacking. This person was welcomed to the community and he made matches all the time.

Not sure if the above is modding but that is a great example on how hacking is fun.

Posted Jan 10, '12 at 5:59pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,740 posts

Not sure if the above is modding but that is a great example on how hacking is fun.

Modding pretty much is hacking.

I don't know much about either, as I don't do it, but this is my understanding of it.

Modding = Changing or adding game files to change the game.

Hacking = Changing or circumventing normal processes for a desired result.

To mod you usually need to first get the game files, which usually involves hacking.

Posted Jan 11, '12 at 11:23am

Highfire

Highfire

3,127 posts

To mod you usually need to first get the game files, which usually involves hacking.

A lot of games offer mod tools. The difference with mods is that everyone in the room or server undergo the same changes made, and is intentional. Hacking can effect one or more people and is not supposed to be in the server. Embracing hacking is a dull idea, and homogenization with words is a silly idea with "modding" and "hacking" being the same. I mean... really.

This is the difference I've seen, honestly. With mods usually providing a beneficial or different experience (sometimes worse), with hacking providing a one-sided benefit to a single person, possibly at the cost of everyone elses' entertainment.

- H

Posted Jan 11, '12 at 9:56pm

koolkylekool

koolkylekool

257 posts

Hackers deliberately break the rules/boundaries set in by the developing team to have an unfair advantage against other players. Hackers are the lowest form of gamer in my opinion, below even the constant online child gamer.

Besides, mostly the only reason people hack is because they are so terrible at that game that they feel they need to get back at the dev's for making it "too hard" and thus hacking is justified for them.

And try not to slog that "inb4" B.S. in here, this is f***ing 4chan, grow up.

Posted Jan 12, '12 at 4:32pm

numino

numino

219 posts

hacking is purely used when it only and only benefits one or a group of individuals at the cost of others, there is nothing justifiable about hacking.

Posted Jan 12, '12 at 4:54pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,740 posts

hacking is purely used when it only and only benefits one or a group of individuals

This part is true often.

at the cost of others,

This is not. How is it "at the cost of others" if someone was to say, hack SSBB so that all characters moved 3x faster? They then play against each other and have fun. That's not at the cost of others.

there is nothing justifiable about hacking.

Such a one sided way to look at it. That would be like me saying guns are evil, because they can kill. They can also protect.

Posted Jan 12, '12 at 5:35pm

numino

numino

219 posts

SSBB

yeah, that means nothing mate

guns are evil, because they can kill

well actually people kill, guns are just the tools to make it easier and faster

Posted Jan 12, '12 at 9:13pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,740 posts

yeah, that means nothing mate

Have it your way. Any game, any game at all that you can play single player or with multiple people exclusively (Private server, offline game, LAN game, etc.) You could use hacking to make it more fun for you/your friends and not have it be at other's expense.

guns are just the tools to make it easier and faster

And hacking is just the word for changing the game. It's not an evil, malicious action by nature.

Posted Jan 13, '12 at 2:42am

Highfire

Highfire

3,127 posts

Besides, mostly the only reason people hack is because they are so terrible at that game that they feel they need to get back at the dev's for making it "too hard" and thus hacking is justified for them.

Funny how online "child" gamers tend to lie to themselves to make their loss of time and entertainment feel better, whereas you seem to dredge up the most dull point a hacker usually has in order to feel superior.

Hackers have a problem with effort or source of entertainment in that they find it funny seeing the higher stats -- not getting them. They also like to see the resulting anger and bitterness towards them as a result, a better form of trolling, if you will.

Sure, there are some who can be terrible at games and the like, but a hacker is genuinely more intelligent, thus usually better than your average gamer, even excluding the "child" ones (like myself, being 14), but not seeing a grind, like on the Triple A FPS titles for weapons or attachments, is a relief for a lot of people -- I'm sure you think the same, just that you've higher moral complexity to intrude on some others' entertainment.
Or you just don't want to be considered a ... let's not go into that.

well actually people kill, guns are just the tools to make it easier and faster

And yet you're either delaying the point or missing it entirely - both stupid at the least.

Have it your way. Any game, any game at all that you can play single player or with multiple people exclusively (Private server, offline game, LAN game, etc.) You could use hacking to make it more fun for you/your friends and not have it be at other's expense.

I do tend to call that modding. However I do think in a lot of scenarios you do need to actually hack to gain the viable information necessary to make the changes in the first place -- so in a sense, they need be one in the same.
And by that, it's far from a malicious act by nature.

- H

Posted May 11, '13 at 2:44pm

alexkresa13

alexkresa13

134 posts

I'm pretty sure that modding and hacking are two seperate things here. I don't care if you mod, such as private call of duty zombie lobbies, stuff like that, but hacking as in legitimate cheating is what bothers me.

Reply to Hacking is right

You must be logged in to post a reply!