ForumsProgramming ForumCan you please help me?

8 5225
superlouis66
superlouis66
151 posts
Nomad

Ok i am 12 and i want to start games designing for a career, i beleive scratch and all of these put the blocks together programs arent helping so i need sobody to help me.

are there any decent free softwares?

does anyone know how c++ works?

all that good stuff. Sooooo, anyone that can help please do.

i want games designing to be my career.

• 8 Replies
superlouis66
superlouis66
151 posts
Nomad

sorry i posted the wrong age im 11 but who cares lol,
is anyone going to help or even suggest anything?

Dewi1066
Dewi1066
539 posts
Nomad

A moderator has already told you that if you're under the age of 13, you need to stop using the site until you're 13. Why post again to admit you're a year younger than you originally stated?

fiester
fiester
18 posts
Nomad

use flash it is way easier to use and more fun you can build more complex games from what I know most games on armor games are built in flash you can get a free trial at the adobe website also javascript is better than c++ in my oppinion search the web for toutorials have fun!!

Carlytoon
Carlytoon
324 posts
Nomad

Well, c++ is a very strict language, I suggest start with a easy language like Game Maker Language or AS3, then you can jump to Java or C# and after that you can finally go to c++.

Believe me, c++ is a very powerful language but you need a lot of time to learn it and you need to know how the OOP programming works.

master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

Game Maker Language or AS3

Just because they are less useful, doesn't mean they're easier. I haven't heard anything about GML being easy, although it may be, and from personal experience I find AS3 to be extremely unintuitive and difficult to work with. If you want to start with an easy language, learn HTML then Javascript. HTML is like a training wheels to programming, it may not be structured at all like other programming languages, but it helps you get an idea of how to get stuff done. Javascript is similar to flash, but can allow for a wider range of applications. Flash more or less forces you to create something with a GUI, which isn't needed very often. Javascript allows you to use itself as a proper scripting language, not creating games but creating scripts to get things done. Javascript is just a more practical language to use, provided your goal is to learn to program and not to learn to make games.
Carlytoon
Carlytoon
324 posts
Nomad

I haven't heard anything about GML being easy, although it may be, and from personal experience I find AS3 to be extremely unintuitive and difficult to work with.

Mmm... so maybe the language difficulty may change for each user, maybe learning AS3 is some difficult and needs time, but it syntax is very similar to Java and C# so if he learn it he can jump to Java or C# without much problems.
Freckls627
Freckls627
31 posts
Nomad

When I started programming I started out with Java and then moved into C#. With that background it was weird going into as3 because it is a little different then most object oriented stuff out there. Learning Java and C# did give me a better understanding of what was going on in the background of as3 and really made me appreciate how much flash does for you.

Start out easy, with command line output and then when you get a good understanding of that, then move into graphics.

Definitely check out XNA I did that for a few months and that was really fun to work with.

ExplosionsHurt
ExplosionsHurt
249 posts
Nomad

The first thing you need to understand when programming is logic. Honestly, once you understand how to use ifs, switches, fors, whiles, etc. it's just a matter of applying those to whatever language you've chosen.

That's why a lot of people will tell you to start with "block-together" programs like Scratch and Stencyl. When you've been using Scratch, have you been using the if-blocks and variables? Those are extremely important for real programming as well.

Anyway, you said that you wanted to become a game designer. Now, Game Designer is a completely different job from a game programmer. As a designer, you role mostly won't be making the actual game, but designing it.

And it's more complicated then just sprouting off ideas all day. You'll have to have good understanding of what works well with what, and you'll likely need to be somewhat good with art as well. I would suggest watching Extra Creduts for some insight into the game design world.

Another option is making flash games, which means that you'll likely be working by yourself most of the time instead of in a team. This means that you'll need to be a jack-of-all-trades, drawing the art, making the music and programming the logic of the game as well.

If you want to do that, I would suggest learning Javascript or Python first, as Flash's ActionScript 3 is a terrible language to start with. After you learn Javascript or Python, then you can learn ActionScript. As for programs, you'll probably want to use Stencyl, but stick with the code mode instead of blocks.

Paint.NET should be enough for making most sprites. If you need vector graphics, then Inkscape should work.

As for music, I'm using Reaper, but it's not free. If you're using a Mac, then Ardour or Garageband will work fine.

Good luck!

Showing 1-8 of 8