ForumsWEPRDo you think we should lessen our useage of plastic?

45 6658
shermzx
shermzx
564 posts
Nomad

Do you think we should lessen our useage of plastic?
I mean,plastic is non bio-degradable
and can anyone tell the negative impacts?

• 45 Replies
Flipski
Flipski
623 posts
Nomad

I think we should just minimize our use of such plastics, and recycle as much as possible. I don't buy bottle water anymore. I use a single hard plastic container, and fill it up with brita filtered water every morning. I don't injest any pthalates, and I get water thats cleaner than bottled water. And when it comes to food, I try to buy foods that minimize packaging, and recycle that too. Theres no reason to throw something away for good, if you can keep using it.

Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

And when it comes to food, I try to buy foods that minimize packaging, and recycle that too.

Yea, I appreciate that food places are starting to use biodegradable take home containers. Much better then Styrofoam!
Flipski
Flipski
623 posts
Nomad

you know whats cool? Those glad containers that lunch meat comes in! perfect for my college diet of left over pasta! ....you get food + containers to hold more food

Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

Oh I know! My roommates and I always hold on to those, they make great leftover containers.

I also like how grocery stores have started pushing the re-usable recycled bays. It is usually only a dollar, and you can bring it back to use it all you want. I have one that was made out of recycled 2 liter bottles.

I think we are making progress, but we are still a long way away from being plastic dependent.

Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

Pardon me, that was supposed to be: we are still a long way away from being plastic independent.

Woops!

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

^^ Haha, if it was dependent, then I would have to have a word with you!

Well, I am glad that communities are actually taking steps in recycling. One day alot of bottle recycle cans appeared along the halls of the school, and by the end of the day, they were filled! I have that little tingly feeling that some people actually care about our world. Those reusable bags that you can get at Safeway is also a tiny leap, but as Carlie said, we are slowly moving away from this dependency. I wouldn't be afraid of moving slowly, but I would be if we weren't moving at all. Someone said that on the tube last night....

~Strider~

shermzx
shermzx
564 posts
Nomad

wow ,flipski,new mod?

yea,

most people have the thinking of,there's somany people using plastic,i'm only a person,wat can i do?

well,very easy.

when u buy sweet,chocolate,etc,
the object/item is usually very small,for girls,as i know majority take bags with the,right?
then u won't need a plastic bag,just place it in the bag.

for guys,they usually wear clothers/pants wid pockets,so just pace them inside.

i feel that staffs in stores should be obligated to ASK if customers need a plastic bag,and not simply place them in bags as customers will NOT say,"i dun need the bag" when the item(s) is already inside the bag.

shermzx
shermzx
564 posts
Nomad

anyway,what's a biodegradable plastic made of,i just read the post on the back,dun blame me for double post.

GreatZulu638
GreatZulu638
279 posts
Nomad

but like everyone has said, this will be very hard to do to cut out all usage of plastic.. we are heavily dependent on it..

Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

wow ,flipski,new mod?

Admin, and he has been around for a while now ;-)

And biodegradable 'lastic' is made out of different things. I know that the biodegradable spoons that I use are made out of potatoes! They work fantastic, and will degrade very nicely. Yay!
GreatZulu638
GreatZulu638
279 posts
Nomad

this isnt directly related. but it is related to an extent .. saw this today.. this isnt good.. the extra CO2 we are emitting now, is causing ocean acid levels to rise and killing marine life..

[url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7437862.stm]

Sharkbate
Sharkbate
372 posts
Peasant

Nowadayd we are recycling alot more than what we did in the past.Most plastic is now recycled.We should though find a way to lessen plastic usage or to somehow get more.

Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

this isnt directly related. but it is related to an extent .. saw this today.. this isnt good.. the extra CO2 we are emitting now, is causing ocean acid levels to rise and killing marine life..

Yay! People are actually starting to understand what we are doing to the oceans. I just finished research on this topic exactly, and it is good to see that people are starting to understand and get educated on this topic.
Bratt02
Bratt02
402 posts
Shepherd

I think we should, I mean plastic is reusable! We do have a lot of plastics in our house, and we can't dispose them or burn them, since burning them will affect the ozone layer and make it thin... Disposing them in the other hand will just be a waste. My parents talked to the Mayor of our town if it's possible to use paper bags in grocery stores instead of plastic! But...thinking of that causes us to cut more tree... Sigh, everything has to be in balance! But, I thought of something, why not after using the plastic [Like in the grocery store.] give it back to the place where you got it, except it has to be neat and in good condition though. It could help save more...uh, I do not know what are the materials used for plastice, but never mind! So, get the gist?

Sigh, I'm only a 13... :P What do I know anyway... :P

shermzx
shermzx
564 posts
Nomad

haha i'm 14!well,i'm actually 13 my birthday have not past.

oke,back to the topic.

even though,if we find a way to integrate(SP?) the plastics,the damage is still done,because i don't think that bacterias and such will evolve to break down plastic,therefore sciencetific means shall be used,maybe a machine?unless scientists uses genetically modified bacteria to break down plastic,which is almost impossible,

Plastic now are almost everywhere,in the ocean,ground, (air?)

this fact is made by inconsiderate people dumping their plastic waste in the ocean,like i just mention earlier,bacteria can't break down and we may have"built a machine that can integrate it"

we still have to find those plastics in the coean and obliterate them.

hence i feel that
1st:tackle the problem of people littering plastics..

2nd:reuse(we can't recycle it,i think)

3rd:built something that can eradicate plastics.

Showing 31-45 of 45