ForumsPopular MediaWhy do people like Rap?

11 3441
Regicidal
Regicidal
53 posts
Nomad

Well rap is getting bunch of fans but all i hear is bunch of mixed up words. Like the rap now days example Lil Wayne Lollipop lol how can a song like that have fans. I know your gonna hate me for this thread feel free to comment as you like.

• 11 Replies
Mac_MK
Mac_MK
752 posts
Nomad

Rap is good and enjoyable to listen to

midnight43
midnight43
122 posts
Nomad

Because there gay to listen to it....REAL MUSIC=Rock and metal but thats my opinion:-)

Helrayser
Helrayser
475 posts
Peasant

I agree with midnight rock and metal, rap sucks

steevo15
steevo15
1,564 posts
Peasant

when i listen to rap, the only thing i hear is cussing, wh*res, money, drugs, sex and the "N" word

Regicidal
Regicidal
53 posts
Nomad

same rock is the way to go for sure

daswiftarrow
daswiftarrow
873 posts
Nomad

ya im with the above people, rock and metal...well rock, maybe thats why they call rock, rock. all rap is about is cussing, money, drugs, sex, and violence.

Regicidal
Regicidal
53 posts
Nomad

i agree totally

123b00mudead
123b00mudead
82 posts
Nomad

i agree with yall rock rules rap doesnt even make since half the time its ill take u to the candy shop so its like ok take me to the candy shop u tard and buy me some gummi worms =)

eyetwitch
eyetwitch
737 posts
Shepherd

Ya'll need to go listen to some old school rap or some underground rap, because some of that is actually really good. I am not into it myself, so i can't give band names, but if you look around i know you can find it, the underground stuff isn't all swearing to one beat, some of its really good...although ROCK/METAL FTW!!!

hitemup
hitemup
40 posts
Nomad

i posted this somewhere else too...stop pretending like theres some competiton between rock and rap!!! its so ridiculously annoying. believe it or not u can listen to more than one type of music. me and all my friends do. i agree that lollipop isnt really that great of a song but lil wayne has plenty of other songs that are good like fireman and beat without bass

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

On one hand, I enjoy rock and metal.

On the other hand, I also enjoy rap.

OMG :O MY HEAD ASPLODE!?

So the original poster has asked why people like rap. The reasons can vary from the sound, to the cultural aesthetic. Personally I believe that many would tend to go for the latter.

Allow me to go into a little more detail. Rap actually started way back in the 70s- we refer to this as the old skool stuff, and from those basic hip-hop roots came all kinds of things, everything from booty bass to turntablism. And of course gangsta rap and the great East and West Coast rivalry that went all the way through the 80s and continues into a giant bling contest even today.

Much of it is marketing. People 'like rap' because they think it's cool. In this case, I reckon it's white suburban middle-class kids latching onto the gritty hostility and the ghetto reality that many rappers actually lived and then went around yelling at each other to 'keep it real, gangsta'. Which is ironic, and also happens to form the basis of much protest against rap.

Funnily enough much of metal shares the same angry motivations. Just that it happens to have a different aesthetic, one that doesn't make these kids look like wiggers.

I agree that much of rap gives itself to a certain character. I certainly, for example, wouldn't expect a rap to be all happy-happy-fluffy-puff candy and stuff, or even slightly romantic. That's strictly reserved for pop and maybe even some parts of rock.

But I've got a much more critical reason for liking rap. I happen to like the variability in the flow. The contrast between the prosaic presentation and the beat is fundamental to all rap, and it's exploring this rhythmical canvas that has me interested. I won't pretend to be able to relate to that gritty gat-in-yo-face, getting retarded at the club and jumped on the way home etc. etc. background...I've been middle class suburbia myself for a while (though I did start out poor, though once again that's not relevant).

In short it's the rhythm. What I would like to do is to take rap and be progressive with it- write lyrics that are effectively removed from all that stuff which has people being all pretentious, and write about other, deeper subjects in more eloquent manners than is frequently imitated by posers looking for the dough.

Showing 1-11 of 11