Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

[necro]What's the big deal about smoking?

Thread Locked

Posted Jan 18, '12 at 8:17pm

thepunisher93

thepunisher93

1,863 posts

I don't get people why they are so against it?
If someone chooses to smoke let them do so, no one crashes a car while smoking.In my opinion, its like every thing else that is excess of everything is bad.
My father started it at 17(same as me) and my grand fater at 14.They are still okay(now they age 79 and 40).
Tell me about your opinions.

Posted Jan 18, '12 at 8:22pm

Dewi1066

Dewi1066

567 posts

I smoke.

I don't do it around other people, I don't inflict my choice onto other people and I enjoy it.

Punish me for personal choice that effects me and no one else.

Oh, and for those that claim I damage myself and everyone else pays, kick the kid riding the skateboard, the naughty boy who will get injured and we all foot the bill.

Posted Jan 18, '12 at 8:24pm

Bladerunner679

Bladerunner679

2,534 posts

If someone chooses to smoke let them do so, no one crashes a car while smoking.In my opinion, its like every thing else that is excess of everything is bad.
My father started it at 17(same as me) and my grand fater at 14.They are still okay(now they age 79 and 40).
Tell me about your opinions.

I'll tell you a bunch of facts as to why it's bad:

1.seccond hand smoke has a history of killing people
2.smoking has given multiple prenatal defects when pregnant mothers smoke.
3.smoking is one of the world's leading causes of lifestyle death.
4.lung cancer
5.mouth cancer (though it's more prominent in chewing tobacco)
6.non-smokers tend to live longer

also, nobody likes it when that one tool decides to start smoking right next to them, and no the non-smokers won't move because non-smokers vastly outnumber smokers.

would you like any more reasons to give up now, or should I hit harder?

-Blade

Posted Jan 18, '12 at 8:25pm

blk2860

blk2860

10,585 posts

Well I suppose you have a point just don't smoke around other people I know a lot of people that smoke.

Posted Jan 18, '12 at 8:27pm

dair5

dair5

3,475 posts

I think the main problem with smoking is that it does affect the people around you. My docter says I shouldn't visit my grandfather because he smokes. And honestly she's right. The last time I slept over, and just on his couch, I got pneumonia. Second hand smoking hurts people, and it's a little hard for people to just pretend like it doesn't. I mean, the smoke stays on your clothes, furniture. I'm okay with it, but I can definitly see why people would be against it.

Posted Jan 18, '12 at 8:28pm

devsaupa

devsaupa

1,849 posts

Because people can't leave others alone until those others switch over to there views? A lot of people I know smoke, and even though I have chosen never to, I don't have issues with anyone around me smoking. It's just another one of those cases where people try to control other's choices.

Posted Jan 18, '12 at 8:31pm

devsaupa

devsaupa

1,849 posts

1.seccond hand smoke has a history of killing people
4.lung cancer

He didn't ask why it was bad. He asked about your opinion about why so many people are against it. I think he should know the consequences. Unless that was your argument to why people are so against it and the people who choose to.

Posted Jan 18, '12 at 8:32pm

EnterOrion

EnterOrion

4,390 posts

I smoke. Good stress release, although more stress in the end because I want another and another. Makes me happy for twenty minutes, and that's all I really care about. Will it take ten years off of my life? Sure it will. Do I care? Not really. It's my choice to die a horrible, painful death. No one else can make that decision for me. People who tell me to stop IRL get a quick "**** off."

As for other people around me? Second hand smoke is a joke. I smoke outside, and it hardly gets in my face at all, and I'm the one smoking it. Don't like the smoke? Stand upwind. Seriously.

Smoking inside is stupid. Of course it will lead to second hand smoke, and a good amount of it. In cars? Roll down your window. Simple solution to a simple problem.

Why are they smoking when they're pregnant? That's just stupid. They shouldn't be using any substances of that variety.

4.lung cancer

My choice. Let me deal with it.

Posted Jan 18, '12 at 8:34pm

thepunisher93

thepunisher93

1,863 posts

A man lighted his cigar in a train,
woman next to him said"Cigar's smoke irritates me."
Man replied"I guess I can only recommend that you don't smoke it."
Joke aside
It is just like one of those cases where things get stamped good or bad for eternity and smoking got stamped as bad habit.

Posted Jan 18, '12 at 8:42pm

dair5

dair5

3,475 posts

As for other people around me? Second hand smoke is a joke. I smoke outside, and it hardly gets in my face at all, and I'm the one smoking it. Don't like the smoke? Stand upwind. Seriously.

... I nearly died from second hand smoking.

Why are they smoking when they're pregnant? That's just stupid. They shouldn't be using any substances of that variety.

Well if they're addicted before hand. I'm not sure if they can just up and quit.