ForumsForum GamesThe Search: An RPG

134 114427
aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Yes, yet another RPG. But, I assure you, this one will be different! My goal with this game is to be very accessible, and allow for creativity. Furthermore, character abilities will be determined by your actions, not a character sheet. There will be no extensive equipment/stat list that you need to fill out. Anybody can join at anytime- the only requirement is that you try to be creative!

The Game:

All New/deceased players start here, no matter when they joined/died.

You wake up in the middle of a tropical rainforest. You are wearing a white t-shirt, a pair of jeans, underwear, hiking socks, and hiking boots. You have no water, no food, and most importantly, no memories. You can speak the local language (which might as well be English), and you can remember your name.

In your boot, you find a note:

Hello, [your name].
If you are reading this, it is because something horrible has happened to your mind. You are a member of the Order of the Sun. Everyone else should be regarded as an enemy. TRUST NO ONE. I must keep this message short, so that it will not be picked up by scanners. Find a person with a sun-sign, and everything will be explained.

-Your Only Friends

And that is where your story begins!

Gameplay
The point of the game is to survive and recover your memories. The game will be divided into a series of stages, with each stage beginning with a challenging trial. Upon completion of the trial, you will be granted with a special ability, unique to how you solved the trial. This ability will manifest itself as you complete the trial, and will grow in power throughout the stage. There will be aspects to your abilities that will change depending on how you use them. You do not necessarily keep your old powers in the next stage, but they might merge with your new abilities. It all depends on your actions.

In order to give people a chance, you are guaranteed to survive the first trial, which will happen almost immediately. If you die (see rules) you will be sent back to the very beginning with a new character. If you act in a way during the first trial that would normally have resulted in your death, I will inform you as such, so that you will know to be more thoughtful in the future.

Each stage will have a theme that is the same for all players, but this theme will never directly be stated. This theme (except for the first theme, which I have already chosen) will be determined by the actions of the first player to pass the trial. Therefore, there is a strategic advantage for figuring out each stage as fast as possible. You will also discover the exact nature of your powers by using them, not by me explicitly stating how they work. Similarly, the objectives of the trials will also need to be learned.

Because your abilities are based on your actions, it is important that you be as specific as possible, especially during the trials.

Character Sheet (to be posted with every action-after this point, only I can make edits to this sheet)
Name:
Physical description: (doesn't have to be long)

That's all for now! Other categories will be added as they become relevant.

Rules:
1) You can only control your own character. If you get allies along your journey, you can ask that they do things, but you can't force them to do things. For instance, you CAN do something like

"I ask Joe to open the door."

You cannot do things like

"Joe stabs the guard in the back while I shoot the other one in the face."

2) You must respect events that happened to you. No whining! I'll try to be as fair as possible. There will be no "You randomly get knifed in the back" type of things. A careful player will be able to avoid all danger (well, maybe not other players).

3)If you DO get killed by a NPC, I will warn you the first time. You can then go back and change your action. But only once, any future deaths will be permanent. If another player kills you, you die the first time. Otherwise, it would not be fair to the victorious player.

4) All equipment will be "generic". There are no brand name guns or other weapons here, to keep things simple. There will be rifles, but no Winchesters.

That is it! I hope you enjoy. If you have questions, just ask!
  • 134 Replies
Showing 151-150 of 134