ForumsForum GamesThe Search: An RPG

134 114428
aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Yes, yet another RPG. But, I assure you, this one will be different! My goal with this game is to be very accessible, and allow for creativity. Furthermore, character abilities will be determined by your actions, not a character sheet. There will be no extensive equipment/stat list that you need to fill out. Anybody can join at anytime- the only requirement is that you try to be creative!

The Game:

All New/deceased players start here, no matter when they joined/died.

You wake up in the middle of a tropical rainforest. You are wearing a white t-shirt, a pair of jeans, underwear, hiking socks, and hiking boots. You have no water, no food, and most importantly, no memories. You can speak the local language (which might as well be English), and you can remember your name.

In your boot, you find a note:

Hello, [your name].
If you are reading this, it is because something horrible has happened to your mind. You are a member of the Order of the Sun. Everyone else should be regarded as an enemy. TRUST NO ONE. I must keep this message short, so that it will not be picked up by scanners. Find a person with a sun-sign, and everything will be explained.

-Your Only Friends

And that is where your story begins!

Gameplay
The point of the game is to survive and recover your memories. The game will be divided into a series of stages, with each stage beginning with a challenging trial. Upon completion of the trial, you will be granted with a special ability, unique to how you solved the trial. This ability will manifest itself as you complete the trial, and will grow in power throughout the stage. There will be aspects to your abilities that will change depending on how you use them. You do not necessarily keep your old powers in the next stage, but they might merge with your new abilities. It all depends on your actions.

In order to give people a chance, you are guaranteed to survive the first trial, which will happen almost immediately. If you die (see rules) you will be sent back to the very beginning with a new character. If you act in a way during the first trial that would normally have resulted in your death, I will inform you as such, so that you will know to be more thoughtful in the future.

Each stage will have a theme that is the same for all players, but this theme will never directly be stated. This theme (except for the first theme, which I have already chosen) will be determined by the actions of the first player to pass the trial. Therefore, there is a strategic advantage for figuring out each stage as fast as possible. You will also discover the exact nature of your powers by using them, not by me explicitly stating how they work. Similarly, the objectives of the trials will also need to be learned.

Because your abilities are based on your actions, it is important that you be as specific as possible, especially during the trials.

Character Sheet (to be posted with every action-after this point, only I can make edits to this sheet)
Name:
Physical description: (doesn't have to be long)

That's all for now! Other categories will be added as they become relevant.

Rules:
1) You can only control your own character. If you get allies along your journey, you can ask that they do things, but you can't force them to do things. For instance, you CAN do something like

"I ask Joe to open the door."

You cannot do things like

"Joe stabs the guard in the back while I shoot the other one in the face."

2) You must respect events that happened to you. No whining! I'll try to be as fair as possible. There will be no "You randomly get knifed in the back" type of things. A careful player will be able to avoid all danger (well, maybe not other players).

3)If you DO get killed by a NPC, I will warn you the first time. You can then go back and change your action. But only once, any future deaths will be permanent. If another player kills you, you die the first time. Otherwise, it would not be fair to the victorious player.

4) All equipment will be "generic". There are no brand name guns or other weapons here, to keep things simple. There will be rifles, but no Winchesters.

That is it! I hope you enjoy. If you have questions, just ask!
  • 134 Replies
aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Name:Maya Brown
Physical description: Short, kind loving, light brown hair, Blue eyes

I walk up to the tree

You walk up to the tree, and try to determine the source of the voices. You see two men, both armed with rifles. One is sitting on a tank of propane, the other standing. They are facing perpendicular to you, but you are concealed by the tree.

They both have canteens of water, and there is evidence that they have food as well.

NOTE: these are not the same men that Brooks is dealing with.

Alexandra222
Alexandra222
2,779 posts
Nomad

I slowly sneak away from that tree and hide behind another one

webkinzlover7654
webkinzlover7654
2,790 posts
Nomad

Forgetting someone?

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Name:Tanner Easley
Physical description: 6 foot with brown eyes and light brown hair 183 pounds.

I decide to climb a tree and see whats around.

You climb a tree, which seems to be oddly easy given its great height. You scan the horizon, and see a a disturbance (leaves shaking, etc) not too far away.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Name: Brooks
Physical description: Ht.5.1 brown hair, green eyes, average weight.

I duck behind the bean guy's chair, if they find me I flip him.

They see you immediately, due to the light from the fire. You move quick, and push the bean guy into the fire. Due to his rock induced injury, he is not able to get up quick enough. He dies in the fire, along with the beans.

But the other man manages to shoot you twice more: once in the stomach, and once in the knee. You are now horribly wounded. You do not know how many shots the man has before he needs to reload, and he is still pointing his gun right at you.

----------------------------------------------------------

I slowly sneak away from that tree and hide behind another one

You sneak around behind the men. They are now facing directly away from you. You can see a box of food in between you and the men, but the only water is in the canteens on their belts.

inferedmonkey
inferedmonkey
942 posts
Peasant

I guess I'll go investigate.

webkinzlover7654
webkinzlover7654
2,790 posts
Nomad

He dies in the fire, along with the beans.
OH, WHY THE POOR BEANS!

I Cimb a tree the attempt to jump off and kick him. (But I am horribly wounded, so I'll probably Fail
aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

I guess I'll go investigate.

You go and investigate! You discover (you guessed it) two men, both armed with rifles. They are trudging through the woods, pulling a wagon behind them. The wagon is small, wooden, and covered. It is not clear what is inside it. You are behind the men, and they do not see you. They are carrying canteens, which is the only water you've seen so far.

--------------------------------

I Cimb a tree the attempt to jump off and kick him. (But I am horribly wounded, so I'll probably Fail

You quickly turn and climb up the nearest tree as fast as you can. Which, it turns out, is actually pretty fast, despite your injuries.

However. The Man can clearly see you in the fire light, and gets off 3 (three!) more shots: all in your torso. You are now bleeding profusely. With your last energy, you leap from the tree, and deliver a flying kick to the man's head, breaking his neck. You collaspse to the ground, and die. Just like those poor beans.

Next to you, however (don't worry, I keep my promises...) is the canteen- WATER.

You have completed the first trial!

Suddenly, a hand bursts out of your bullet ridden chest. Another body, another you- an identical clone- emerges. This clone has your exact same physical features, down to scarring. Around you are two dead soldiers, and your old body, along with the motorcycle.

You are: THE ASPEN (cue dramatic music)

Your new Sheet:
Stage: 1
Attribute: THE ASPEN
Known abilities: regeneration upon death
Energy: 0/10
Energy Regain Rate: very slow

Note: your discovered power, regeneration upon death, is not your only power. I gave you this attribute due to the fact that you had little regard for your own life, instead trusting that things would somehow work out. It only works when you have full energy, and uses all of it. You have other powers as well, which are not yet known but also require energy.

Legion1350
Legion1350
5,366 posts
Nomad

Name: Aleister Pike
Physical Description: 6'3", thin, pale, light green eyes, short brown hair

This doesn't actually look too bad. I'll give it a go.

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

This doesn't actually look too bad. I'll give it a go.

You are in a rain forest. Visibility is poor due to foliage, and you have no water. You are getting thirsty.

Legion1350
Legion1350
5,366 posts
Nomad

Rain forest? I look for a big vine, take a rock, cut it open, and drink from it. Vines contain a fluid inside of them.

inferedmonkey
inferedmonkey
942 posts
Peasant

I hide in the thickest trees and throw a rock at one of them to distract him. Then I try to sneak behind the other and take him out.

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Rain forest? I look for a big vine, take a rock, cut it open, and drink from it. Vines contain a fluid inside of them.

You drink from a vine. It has a very bitter taste, but it manages to sate your thirst. You consider the possibility of poisonous plants.

Upon closer inspection, you notice that this particular vine has tiny red dots on it. None of the other vines in the vicinity have similar markings. You cannot be sure that other vines will be as innocent.

*I'm not saying this vine is poisonous (don't worry, it isn't), just questioning the logic of drinking from a mysterious plant. But that's your call.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

Name: Mav
Physical Description: Tallish, fair hair and skinned, with a wiry frame.

Here we go!

Legion1350
Legion1350
5,366 posts
Nomad

Ooh, I hadn't thought about that. I take the biggest sharp rock nearby, and forge ahead, using to cut anything blocking the way.

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

I hide in the thickest trees and throw a rock at one of them to distract him. Then I try to sneak behind the other and take him out.

You hit the one on the left (since you did not specify) with a rock. He turns around, dropping the wagon. The other one turns around as well. The one you hit points his rifle a few feet to the right of where you were standing.

By now, you are almost behind the second man. How do you try to take him out?

Showing 16-30 of 134