ForumsForum GamesThe Search: An RPG

134 114453
aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Yes, yet another RPG. But, I assure you, this one will be different! My goal with this game is to be very accessible, and allow for creativity. Furthermore, character abilities will be determined by your actions, not a character sheet. There will be no extensive equipment/stat list that you need to fill out. Anybody can join at anytime- the only requirement is that you try to be creative!

The Game:

All New/deceased players start here, no matter when they joined/died.

You wake up in the middle of a tropical rainforest. You are wearing a white t-shirt, a pair of jeans, underwear, hiking socks, and hiking boots. You have no water, no food, and most importantly, no memories. You can speak the local language (which might as well be English), and you can remember your name.

In your boot, you find a note:

Hello, [your name].
If you are reading this, it is because something horrible has happened to your mind. You are a member of the Order of the Sun. Everyone else should be regarded as an enemy. TRUST NO ONE. I must keep this message short, so that it will not be picked up by scanners. Find a person with a sun-sign, and everything will be explained.

-Your Only Friends

And that is where your story begins!

Gameplay
The point of the game is to survive and recover your memories. The game will be divided into a series of stages, with each stage beginning with a challenging trial. Upon completion of the trial, you will be granted with a special ability, unique to how you solved the trial. This ability will manifest itself as you complete the trial, and will grow in power throughout the stage. There will be aspects to your abilities that will change depending on how you use them. You do not necessarily keep your old powers in the next stage, but they might merge with your new abilities. It all depends on your actions.

In order to give people a chance, you are guaranteed to survive the first trial, which will happen almost immediately. If you die (see rules) you will be sent back to the very beginning with a new character. If you act in a way during the first trial that would normally have resulted in your death, I will inform you as such, so that you will know to be more thoughtful in the future.

Each stage will have a theme that is the same for all players, but this theme will never directly be stated. This theme (except for the first theme, which I have already chosen) will be determined by the actions of the first player to pass the trial. Therefore, there is a strategic advantage for figuring out each stage as fast as possible. You will also discover the exact nature of your powers by using them, not by me explicitly stating how they work. Similarly, the objectives of the trials will also need to be learned.

Because your abilities are based on your actions, it is important that you be as specific as possible, especially during the trials.

Character Sheet (to be posted with every action-after this point, only I can make edits to this sheet)
Name:
Physical description: (doesn't have to be long)

That's all for now! Other categories will be added as they become relevant.

Rules:
1) You can only control your own character. If you get allies along your journey, you can ask that they do things, but you can't force them to do things. For instance, you CAN do something like

"I ask Joe to open the door."

You cannot do things like

"Joe stabs the guard in the back while I shoot the other one in the face."

2) You must respect events that happened to you. No whining! I'll try to be as fair as possible. There will be no "You randomly get knifed in the back" type of things. A careful player will be able to avoid all danger (well, maybe not other players).

3)If you DO get killed by a NPC, I will warn you the first time. You can then go back and change your action. But only once, any future deaths will be permanent. If another player kills you, you die the first time. Otherwise, it would not be fair to the victorious player.

4) All equipment will be "generic". There are no brand name guns or other weapons here, to keep things simple. There will be rifles, but no Winchesters.

That is it! I hope you enjoy. If you have questions, just ask!
  • 134 Replies
Legion1350
Legion1350
5,366 posts
Nomad

Name: Aleister Pike
Physical Description: 6'3", thin, pale, light green eyes, short brown hair
Stage: 1
Attribute: THE SPIDER PLANT
Known abilities: tele-regeneration, speed
Energy: 7.5
Energy Regain Rate: Medium-fast
Equipment: Rifle, 27 rounds. Backpack. Two full canteens. 5 Protein Bars.

Well. If they don't have guns, I sprint to the side and shoot them.

Alexandra222
Alexandra222
2,779 posts
Nomad

Name:Maya Brown
Physical description: Short, kind loving, light brown hair, Blue eyes
Attribute: THE BLACK LOCUST
Known abilities: Hard skin
Energy: 5.5/10
Energy Regain rate: Slow
Health Status: medium injuries, healing.
Equipment: One canteen, full. One canteen, empty. One rifle, 23 rounds. 5 protein bars.

I observe a bit

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Name: Brooks
Physical description: Ht.5.1 brown hair, green eyes, average weight.
Attribute: THE ASPEN
Known abilities: regeneration upon death
Energy: 0.5/10 Energy
Regain Rate: very slow
equipment: Rifle, 20 rounds. Two canteens. 5 protein bars.

I lower my gun

One guard advances towards you, while the other remains back, keeping his gun raised. The one closer to you speaks:

"I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to confiscate your weapon. You will be allowed to enter the settlement."

He holds out his hand for your rifle.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Well. If they don't have guns, I sprint to the side and shoot them.

Well, those guards don't have guns, but as I said to another player:

Behind these two guards, you notice a group of at least five more, all of whom are armed.

Do you still shoot them?
--------------------------------------------------------------

Equipment: One canteen, full. One canteen, empty. One rifle, 23 rounds. 5 protein bars.

I observe a bit

You see another man join the first. He refuses to lower his weapon, and seems to be taking an attack stance.
Legion1350
Legion1350
5,366 posts
Nomad

Yes. Then I rush inside, shoot a few shots at the armed group, then tele-regenerate behind them and finish them off.

Alexandra222
Alexandra222
2,779 posts
Nomad

I hide behind whatever I can hide behind that is close enough to shoot. Then I shoot both men in the head while they are busy with the guards.

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Equipment:Backpack. Two full canteens. 5 Protein Bars.
Health Status: Wounded, bleeding.

Yes. Then I rush inside, shoot a few shots at the armed group, then tele-regenerate behind them and finish them off.

You get a clean head shot on the guard on your right. You turn to shoot the other guard, but are shot in the shoulder from behind. The force carries you forward, and the second guard grabs your gun, then punches you in the face. Under fire from both inside the settlement and outside, you are pushed through the gate.

Another guard grabs you and throws you to the ground, keeping his gun pointed at you. The rest return fire to the person in the forest.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Energy: 3/10
Health Status: medium-severe injuries, bleeding.
Equipment: One canteen, full. One canteen, empty. One rifle, 22 rounds. 4 protein bars.

I hide behind whatever I can hide behind that is close enough to shoot. Then I shoot both men in the head while they are busy with the guards.

As you try to get closer, one of the armed men opens fire. You quickly try to take him out, but only hit his shoulder. The guards from inside begin to fire on your location. As there are about five of them, you are hit twice before you can return fire.

You are running out of energy, and won't be able to stand up against bullets for much longer.

Because it isn't really fair to just let Tanner die when he isn't here to defend himself, lets say he dropped to the ground and managed to not get hit.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

Name: Mav
Physical Description: Tallish, fair hair and skinned, with a wiry frame.

I get down from the tree, and pick up a stick. I then head towards the smoke cautiously, while dragging the stick behind me. The idea is to make a line, so that I don't get lost.

Sparx0
Sparx0
137 posts
Nomad

Name: Seal
Physical description: Small, green eyes, short black hair

I'm ready.

Alexandra222
Alexandra222
2,779 posts
Nomad

Health Status: medium-severe injuries, bleeding.
Equipment: One canteen, full. One canteen, empty. One rifle, 22 rounds. 4 protein bars.

WTF THAT WAS TANNER?

I eat 2 protein bars and find another hiding spot where the guards and everyone else can't see me

Legion1350
Legion1350
5,366 posts
Nomad

Equipment:Backpack. Two full canteens. 5 Protein Bars.

Idea. I tele-regenerate behind the person holding me down, and use him as a shield. I use his gun to fire at the rest of the people.

Sparx0
Sparx0
137 posts
Nomad

I jump to a branch, then to the top of the tree to see if there's anyone else.

Sparx0
Sparx0
137 posts
Nomad

Aknerd, can you continue?

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Name: Mav
Physical Description: Tallish, fair hair and skinned, with a wiry frame.

I get down from the tree, and pick up a stick. I then head towards the smoke cautiously, while dragging the stick behind me. The idea is to make a line, so that I don't get lost.

You come across two men, both armed with rifles. They are also carrying canteens, and there are signs that there might be food as well. Both the men have their backs to you, and are simply standing by the fire.

There is a small clay pot on the ground to the right of the men. There is nothing else worth noting at this time. The men are not aware of your presence.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Health Status: medium injuries, bleeding.
Equipment: One canteen, full. One canteen, empty. One rifle, 22 rounds. 2 protein bars.

WTF THAT WAS TANNER?

I eat 2 protein bars and find another hiding spot where the guards and everyone else can't see me

Well, yeah. But to be fair, your character doesn't know who Tanner is, so I'm sure he won't hold it against you. Unless he does. Anyway...

You find a hiding spot, but the guards continue to shoot into the forest. They know someone is out there.

-----------------------------------------------------

Energy: 4.5
Equipment:Backpack. Two full canteens. 5 Protein Bars. Rifle, unknown # of rounds.

Idea. I tele-regenerate behind the person holding me down, and use him as a shield. I use his gun to fire at the rest of the people.

You kick your foot behind the guard, and then tele-regenerate to where your foot is. You grab the guard, and spin him around to use him as a shield.

Of course, he yells out and many more guards come running, at least 20. You managed to get a few shots off, but are quickly surrounded to the front. Behind you is the wooden fence. The guards form a rough semi circle, most of whom are taking cover behind building corners, etc.

You get a good look at the settlement: There seem to be two perpendicular main roads. Along these roads are single or double story wooden buildings. You can see scared faces in some of the windows.

The shots coming from the forest have ceased.
-------------------------------------------------------------

I jump to a branch, then to the top of the tree to see if there's anyone else.

You scamper along to a branch, and scan the forest. You hear some voices not too far away.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Fun fact: I hope none of you people ever get amnesia, because apparently your first instinct is to murder everyone you see.

Also, I will be putting the link to this thread on my profile, in case I ever get busy for a day and it falls back in the pages. I should be on for a while tonight.

inferedmonkey
inferedmonkey
942 posts
Peasant

Name:Tanner Easley
Physical description: 6 foot with brown eyes and light brown hair 183 pounds.
Attribute: THE ORIENTAL BITTERSWEET
Known Abilities: Grip, dexterity, stealth, climbing
Energy: 10/10
Energy Regain Rate: very fast
Supplies: starting clothes, Rifle: 25 bullets, two full canteens, 5 protein bars

I grab both there heads and knock them together hopefully knowing them unconoius then I shoot at the other armed cavillians.

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Name:Tanner Easley
Physical description: 6 foot with brown eyes and light brown hair 183 pounds.
Attribute: THE ORIENTAL BITTERSWEET
Known Abilities: Grip, dexterity, stealth, climbing
Energy: 10/10
Energy Regain Rate: very fast
Supplies: starting clothes, Rifle: 25 bullets, two full canteens, 5 protein bars

I grab both there heads and knock them together hopefully knowing them unconoius then I shoot at the other armed cavillians.

Only one of them is still alive, Aleister shot one in the head. You are currently flat on the ground*, and there are now 20+ guards, since Aleister went crazy and started shooting everyone. Most of the guards are dealing with Aleister, but around five have diverted their attention to you. They are maybe 10-15 feet away, and pointing their rifles at you.

*I know this wasn't your choice, but considering other people were trying to kill you and you weren't around, I thought it was a fair way to keep you from dying.

Showing 76-90 of 134