ForumsSupport ForumWhy do you get AP for profile comments??

41 7405
conquer01
conquer01
149 posts
Farmer

(Just found out about this today, sorry. Putting it in a seperate thread, even though I started it somewhere else).

It makes no sense to get AP for this. The whole point of AP is to encourage users to do stuff that'll help others or AP. Is this what profile comments are for?
But has anyone noticed that doesn't happen? I mean, looking at KingofGames (lot of comments there) profile, I don't see 1 comment that implies he's helping someone else or they're helping him. Examples of comments:
"just random comment "
"not much, in a pretty good mood!"
"gotta go off bye!"
"ur mom doesnt count as a gf"
"moo"
"hej man iam back :P so how ya doing"
And this is only page 1!!!!
I'm not trying to pick on anyone, but why would anyone get AP for posts like that, and why doesn't AG do something about it?

• 41 Replies
Sharkbate
Sharkbate
379 posts
Peasant

Well if you didnt earn Ap by making comments everyone in the top 10 would still have 5000 AP and below.I think the more ways we have to earn AP the better.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

So you want to reward people for chatting in their profiles instead of rating games and such or making thoughtful posts? Ok...

This may get changed soon, because a lot of people are getting upset about that....

conquer01
conquer01
149 posts
Farmer

Well if you didnt earn Ap by making comments everyone in the top 10 would still have 5000 AP and below.I think the more ways we have to earn AP the better.

So why not just hand out free AP. You're supposed to earn it, but talking isn't earning.

Like I told you before the purpose that they have AP for profile comments was initially for when people help others on their page. I'll admit some of them are spam, but that's when the mods come in and delete it.

Come on, be honest here. "Some are spam". Almost all are. There's no way 100 moderators working full time could get rid of all the spam.

So you want to reward people for chatting in their profiles instead of rating games and such or making thoughtful posts? Ok...

Um...just the opposite. I want to reward people for making thoughtful posts, not for chatting in their profiles. Unfortunately, it seems people are getting a majority of their AP by just talking.
Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

AP are not just to help the site. I mean they are, but you are taking it to seriously. They are also just to help people have a fun time and a challenge.

conquer01
conquer01
149 posts
Farmer

Oh, my bad.
Being realistic, there's no way to stop it unless
1) You just don't get AP for comments on profiles, or
2) AG gets a lot of moderators quickly (we all know the Nicks deserve it, and that's only 2), and there's a Penalty for spamming. Like, 20 AP penalty. Something real.

DragonMistress
DragonMistress
1,060 posts
Blacksmith

I think it would be an AMAZING idea to get rid of that... hopefully it would not up the forum spamming.. but there is no reason to get rewarded for chatting to your friends. I actually feel a bit guilty for talking to my friends on their profiles, because of this. I also get really irritated by people randomly posting on my profile something that they post on everyones profiles (I saw someone that was posting 'nice profile!' on multiple pages).

I'd love to see how the top 10 would change!

RaiderDawg
RaiderDawg
158 posts
Nomad

I totally agree with you.

Or maybe it should be 2 points for posting on the forums, and 1 point for posting on some kid's stupid profile.

Sharkbate
Sharkbate
379 posts
Peasant

Where not kids RaiderDawg but yea.Forum posts should be 2 points and comments should be 1.

conquer01
conquer01
149 posts
Farmer

I don't think that'd solve the problem, because there are sill tons of profile comments, almost none of which are helpful. So instead of getting 4000 undeserved AP, you'll get 2000. Still not so good.

RaiderDawg
RaiderDawg
158 posts
Nomad

''Where'' not kids???

fail

DragonMistress
DragonMistress
1,060 posts
Blacksmith

I don't think forum posts should be two... we get enough useless spam on the forums anyway, an increase would just make the forum games more popular, and there would be less intelligent conversation here.

The_Idea_Men
The_Idea_Men
102 posts
Nomad

No, raider, the sentiment was... Where? Not kids... implying a lack of knowledge that kids are indeed here.

Where [are they?]
[Oh crap] not kids...

does that clear it up?

:-P but yeah, seriously, everyone here is in their late teens.

RaiderDawg
RaiderDawg
158 posts
Nomad

I've seen so many 13 year olds being rated in the top 200 AP members here. Most people in their late teens aren't even rated in the hundreds.

conquer01
conquer01
149 posts
Farmer

Again, it seems impractical to increase forum points (waaaay to much spam), just as it's impractical to let a helpful message get the same amount of AP as a "like ur profile, b mi frnd plz"
So why not get rid of profile AP completely? Like, there's no reason it should be there in the first place.

Note:I'm not saying to get rid of profile posting-I think that's a good idea for AG users to talk and meet when they're not online at the same time. The problem is getting AP for it

The_Idea_Men
The_Idea_Men
102 posts
Nomad

thats because the older you get, the more stuff you have to do. i mean i dnt have anything to do, but most people. most people have stuff to do. I watched american gladiators, now im pretty much done for the day.

...except for the crying.

Showing 1-15 of 41