ForumsWEPRCelebrity Worship

16 4071
parkermb68
parkermb68
323 posts
Nomad

In my opinion it's dumb. You [b][i]WORSHIP someone because they can sing or act or because there pretty? And the get screwed up and you fight against them and make all these statements and crap like Chris Crocker(who I do not support at all) and Brittney Spears(something like that) and some people don't even sing! They lip sing(or lip sync, some people say one or the other) and try to look pretty. And if you meet them IRL you may not like them. You think they're COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY real on TV or the Magazine?

RULES TO THIS TOPIC(so we don't get out of line here):

you may disagree with someones opinion, but keep arguments LIGHT and do not provoke people, RESPECT other people and they're opinion no matter how twisted. And sometimes double post happens, but of course, this is a given, but still, NO SPAMMING

• 16 Replies
kanethebrain
kanethebrain
242 posts
Nomad

Woo, rules to a topic!

I think worship of anybody is unwarranted. You can respect someone's opinion, and accept much of what they say based on past experiences, but nobody's perfect.

Entertainment celebrities are just more accessible to the general public. If people cared more about politics or the military we'd idolize generals and congressmen too. (Some people do this anyway; but I'd say they're in the minority).

I think most people 'worship' celebs without thinking too much about it, and probably idealize them. I mean, I think Natalie Portman is super hot, but I realize she's a normal person that I may or may not get along with if I met her on the street. Most people can think that. The ones that idolize celebs to the point of stalking them have enough problems outside of celebrity worship.

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

I think that celebrity worship is disgusting because eventually all celebrity's end up like chris crocker (i am his number one hate fan).

chiliad_nodi
chiliad_nodi
638 posts
Peasant

Is it OK if we insult celebrities?
Only celebrities I know
Britney Spears: wanna be Anna Nicole Nmith
Anna Nicole Smith: who cares who the father is
Paris Hilton: My daddy has more money than you. I can buy expensive clothing and full body plastic surgery. Do you think I'm hot?

Anyway, I have a great disrespect for the three above people, the only ones I know. I know there are good celebrities out there, but the majority are dumb, lucky, pretentious beasts that gain praise like they are a god from any religion. You cannot be Atheist and have a god, and yet I am sure there is at least one atheist out there who worships some celebrity.

LiL_GaNgSta_BlAzE
LiL_GaNgSta_BlAzE
2,283 posts
Jester

True, true...I im my humble ophinion see no point to it. I mean there just the same person as you and me, except there on TV and movies, and things like that. But the simple hardcore facts is that people who worship like this are just really worshiping, some normal person. Hey they were never famouse, and I mean right now in life, do you worship people around you? most of you will say no, but when you go further in life, who knows they may become famouse.

like your naioghbour becomes a famouse actor and then what? will you droop all over him? you had your chace, but noooo! So what im trying to say is that, you should not worship people for no reason! I mean if you want ot then, go ahead, might aswell worship a compleat stranger, beacuse they in life might end up being famouse, so start now????

(P.S. all of you, it's okey you can worship me all you want! XD XD JK)

thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

Some people just like knowing what's going on in their favorite actor/actress/singer's life. It's somewhat comparable to my sports obsession. I follow baseball, football/soccer, and American football with a devotion that is unheard of. I know every player, their team, trade rumors, stats, and on-field playing style. I know nothing about their personal lives, but it's very comparable to "celebrity worship" in the fact that I know way too much and obsess over these athletes.

LiL_GaNgSta_BlAzE
LiL_GaNgSta_BlAzE
2,283 posts
Jester

Some people just like knowing what's going on in their favorite actor/actress/singer's life. It's somewhat comparable to my sports obsession. I follow baseball, football/soccer, and American football with a devotion that is unheard of. I know every player, their team, trade rumors, stats, and on-field playing style. I know nothing about their personal lives, but it's very comparable to "celebrity worship" in the fact that I know way too much and obsess over these athletes

WOW!!!! dude your a living breathing sports show!!!! XD
parkermb68
parkermb68
323 posts
Nomad

I have a favorite band. I'm not saying ban celebrities or boycott and they don't work hard, because they do. But picking they're flowers, spying on them, literally THROWING yourselves at them...

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

I don't think that a lot of people necessarily worship a celebrity, they just are overly obsessed with them. Worship would mean that they would like have shrines and stuff and they would do creepy daily rituals in little dark rooms and be like all over them and stalking them.

DragonMistress
DragonMistress
1,060 posts
Blacksmith

I think there might be an unhealthy obsession with celebrities, yes, but I think it is more that people enjoy living vicariously through them. I will admit that I will check Perez Hilton's blog on occasion, and I do watch the really bad VH1 reality shows... but I take it all with a grain of salt. I also find that some of it borderlines on real news, like when a celebrity dies or something to the effect. I don't care who Lindsay is wearing this week, or what puppy Paris is toting around, but sometimes it is interesting, and even funny! I love to see train wrecks, it makes me feel a bit more normal.

I know people who borderline on 'Celeb Worship' though, and it is a bit sad... I don't know why we care what these people are doing moreso than our neighbor... but I think it's an innate love of drama that humans have ^.^

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

I think that DragonMistress Just put it right on the money for most people.

parkermb68
parkermb68
323 posts
Nomad

Well, making fun of celebs is just... Fun, everyone does it... Well I guess it's hard to put in words what you really want to say... But dragon... That was a beast mode post. The funny thing is... Me of all people started a forum about this... It's kind of funny... Just think about it.

kanethebrain
kanethebrain
242 posts
Nomad

DragonMistress made a good point. I think a lot of us follow celebrities because we want to live vicariously through them. I mean, who wouldn't like a garage full of awesome cars, a mansion, and a swimming pool full of money? They have many of the things most people want.

When it gets to the point that you follow that celeb to the exclusion of everything else, then there's a problem.

gman1000
gman1000
978 posts
Nomad

I think it is really sad how people worship celebrities. I think it is also sad that they are obsessed with them.

chiliad_nodi
chiliad_nodi
638 posts
Peasant

Well, I never thought they should be famous. The director should be the one with the fame. The actors have a normal job that requires little thought. It does require other things and I do like acting, but it is simpler than directing. Actors are normal people with salaries that should be going to other normal underpaid people (like teachers) and not to their own overpaid pockets.

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

Chiliad_Nodi. Directors do get fame. They get there name on it all over the place and get awards. It's just that they chose the actors to be famous. All the actors get the attention because they are the ones showing there skills on the screen and they are the ones that you see all of the time.

Showing 1-15 of 16