ForumsWEPRThe Great Debate!

185 29472
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,677 posts
Jester

I just wanted to start anew, and adjust a couple little details here and there on the rules and such! Nothing major.

There have been a lot of fantastic debates in this section of the forums, so I thought we could make things a bit more "interesting."
Here's how it works:
I will create profiles on which 2 people will debate one-on-one on a topic of their choosing. You will receive points based on 3 categories: argument strength, evidence, and refutation.

Argument strength is just that - how strong are your arguments. Logical fallacies and cogency of the argument play a strong role here (so, is the argument "correct" and does it make sense). Your spelling and grammar are important also, so either get a browser with spell-check or put your comments in Word or something that can check your spelling.
Evidence is articles or journals to which you can provide links to help support your argument. How reliable the evidence is also matters, so Wikipedia articles will not count towards evidence.
Refutation means being able to counter what your opponent is saying. If you can point out flaws in their argument or present counter-examples to their arguments then you can get points in this category.

The debate will go on until one debater reaches 10 points, or until one of the debaters fails to post within 48 hours without notice as to why. In that case, that debater will be considered to have forfeit. The winner will have his or her best argument point merited - thus receiving 25 AP!
----
So, if you want to join, just put your name, the topic you would like to debate about. Scoring will go to 10 points. Also include your stance on the topic.
Once you have this info posted, you have just given out a challenge and anyone can challenge you. If you would like to challenge someone, then post your name, their name, and the topic.
Feel free to create multiple challenges, so long as you can keep track of them all! Once two debaters have been matched, I'll post a link to the profile on which you guys will be debating.

I think that's everything, but here's an example of a challenge:

Name: Devoidless
Topic: Does God exist?
My stance: God does not exist!

If someone were to challenge me, then they would have to argue an opposing view to mine (in this case, that God does exist).

So, let the debates begin, and if anything is unclear or if I've missed anything then let me know either on this thread or on my profile.

Thanks, and happy debating!!

• 185 Replies
Girl_Power2
Girl_Power2
126 posts
Nomad

Name: Girl_Power2
Topic: Race to Space!Who won USSR or USA?
My stance: USA won.

(Like that? anyway somebody challenge me)

necromancer
necromancer
750 posts
Peasant

Here are the resolutions I will debate on again:

A just society ought not use the death penalty as a form of punishment.
I would affirm.

In the United States, plea bargaining in exchange for testimony is unjust.
I would affirm.

A just society ought to base their punishment on retribution.
I would negate.

Creationism ought to be taught in American public schools.
I would negate.

I would consider doing the other side on the first two issues.
Note that affirmatives generally go first. affirm means support resolution, negate means against.
Please respond if you would like to debate me.

chiliad_nodi
chiliad_nodi
638 posts
Peasant

This would be the third time I ask for a room. I'm sorry if I sound impatient.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,677 posts
Jester

Sorry, want to put down details one more time? It's been...hectic as of late.

chiliad_nodi
chiliad_nodi
638 posts
Peasant

I challenged Arax_Nisanu to a debate on global warming. I am the one who believes in global warming.

shermzx
shermzx
564 posts
Nomad

Hey i wanna joni a debate to,i meant create.
Topic: Capital Punishments,Needed or uneeded.(SP?)

My Stand:Needed.
Challenge me!

shermzx
shermzx
564 posts
Nomad

Name: Shermzx
Topic: Capital punishment,killing of criminals.needed?,Adapted and modified from a forum topic.
My stance: capital punishment is needed.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,677 posts
Jester

Alright, that global warming one is all set up!

http://armorgames.com/user/Debate_World2

sherm, I would recommend only taking one debate on at a time. So which on do you want to do more?

shermzx
shermzx
564 posts
Nomad

the 2nd.cuz the details in the 1st is not clear

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,677 posts
Jester

Ok, I will get that up an running....later tomorrow. I am about ready to pass out from lack of sleep. So yeah.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

Necromancer has been waiting awhile, and I haven't gotten a chance to do one of these things, so I'll challenge him on plea-bargaining!

Hmmm, I'll also challenge GirlPower on the race to space issue, if that's okay.

Avrilicious
Avrilicious
525 posts
Peasant

Hey Moe I wanted to do that but you beat me to it.

Girl_Power2
Girl_Power2
126 posts
Nomad

Ha ha okay Moe bring it on! So what do I do to win?

Stinger_Maniac
Stinger_Maniac
322 posts
Nomad

Name:Stinger_Maniac
Topic:Hot Earth
My Stance:I believe the earth does not get hotter every year!

Arax_Nisanu
Arax_Nisanu
1,305 posts
Nomad

^I believe that is the same as Global Warming and the Green House Effect. Correct me if i am wrong though.

Showing 1-15 of 185