ForumsWEPRHeaven and Hell?

811 182643
44Flames
44Flames
585 posts
Nomad

I am catholic so I believe that there is heaven and hell. I do beleive that you have to do good in this world to be able to go to heaven but if you do evil and bad more than good in this world I do believe that you will go to hell.

Heaven it is hard to concept the thought of living for eternity in heaven and that everything would be perfect and everyone would be nice and kind.

Hell it is also very hard to think that you will be punished for many years until getting the chance to go to heaven. Also you could be in hell for eternity suffering if you do very bad things in this world.

What is you thought on heaven and hell?

Do you beleive in heaven and hell?

Do you think you will go to heaven or hell?

Is God really real?

Discuss, it can be short or long answers or views.

• 811 Replies
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

heaven=for non-bad (notice how i dont say good) people

hell=bad people

read the above

if what i believe is true then yes. i will go to heaven and im pretty sure most of us will too

Is God really real?

read the above (id suggest you work on question order XP jk)

I am catholic so I believe that there is heaven and hell. I do beleive that you have to do good in this world to be able to go to heaven but if you do evil and bad more than good in this world I do believe that you will go to hell.

so... someone can just buy his ticket by doing good deeds without meaning them? someone can "count" his deeds to make sure he has more good then bad deeds? honestly... if there is something i dislike is the really religios people who are only kind because they want to get to heaven.

and what is bad/good? the bible gives no explanation on what that is. and after getting to know christianity deeper i saw some really horibble sides and it pretty much has nothing to do with being good or bad.

its more like "your bad but we can brainwash you".

No God is not already deciding who goes to Heaven or Hell. He decides at the end of your life when you die if you did enough good in your life to go to heaven or if you did more bad things to go to hell.

thats what im talking about. what aboud non-christians? if you are born to a catholic family then you are really lucky (which means you are a good person) but if you were unlucky enough to be born to a jewish/muslim/atheist/whatever family most chances that you will nott convert espacially when for example the islam sais the exact same thing: "only muslims go to heaven".

what about gays? they are born that way. if they are born that way how can you say that he doesnt decide who is going to hell already? and why should some lucky catholic people have an easier start then non-christians/gays? (im saying this because i know some people give the "test" excuse)

You can choose to live for God, or you can choose to live for yourself.

you just said that. you have to be christian to be considered a good person and go to heaven. god created us so we can dedicate our lives to HIM? i think that is a childish attention seeking god if that is true.

It would be too late when you find yourself in hell. You would wish you were a Christian.

and a muslic could say the exact same thing. it would be to late when you are in hell and you would wish you were a muslim. how can you know which religion is the truth then?

Many people have been to heaven or hell and back to earth. They all have the same types of descriptions.

wrong!!! could be a lie, could be a dream. it could even be the truth. but they arent the same. if 2 people say 2 different things about such an experience and they have 2 different religion you again cant say what person lied IF ANY of them lied and which religion is true. not to mention you cant prove that even happened, its your decision to believe or take them seriously but never state such a thing as a fact.

So then we can make our own choices to do good or bad.

again: gay/non-religion. gays are born that way and cant choose that. and converting in some families can result in being hated by your friends and family.

true story of the four-year old son of a small town Nebraska pastor who during emergency surgery slips from consciousness and enters heaven. He survives and begins talking about being able to look down and see the doctor operating and his dad praying in the waiting room. The family didn't know what to believe but soon the evidence was clear.

Colton said he met his miscarried sister, whom no one had told him about, and his great grandfather who died 30 years before Colton was born, then shared impossible-to-know details about each. He describes the horse that only Jesus could ride, about how "reaaally big" God and his chair are, and how the Holy Spirit "shoots down power" from heaven to help us.

Told by the father, but often in Colton's own words, the disarmingly simple message is heaven is a real place, Jesus really loves children, and be ready, there is a coming last battle.

and who can prove that? thats a story that is being told by a child. and let me guess, a child to a christian family? dreams are usually made of what your sub-consiesnousomething (can never spell this) remembers or imagines. even an atheist/jew/whatever could have a dream like that because he heard about it. not saying this isnt real.

but again, people just decided to believe in what the child sais because it has a connection to their religion. it could be any dream but YOU will be the one who will decide you want to believe in it. the mind has no limits when it comes to imagination, memory and dreams. im sure that if the child had a dream that talked more about the muslim heaven the parents would probably ignore it.

But there could be things to do in Heaven like being an angel! If you become an angel you would help and guard people in the universe. There are many accounts of seeing angels.

christians believe that you can turn into an angle? never knew that.

So as your scipture said that God has a plan for all of un already this is not true because God has done miracles and brought Jesus to the earth to spread and show us that God is real and that you have to do good to go to heaven

oh please not this one again. if god wanted to prove something he would do it now. you cant show me a book and tell me: "this story is true because this story sais so". miracles happen all the time in stories and there are many characters to witness it in the story.

How then would you explain people feeling themselves in the "wrong body with the wrong gender"?

no need to. they will never reach heaven anyway XP
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

How would it feel to live for eternity?

sorry for double. depends on the religion. i can say that if christianity is real id be horibbly sad both in heaven and hell. i dont know alot (not that i know alot about christianity XP) other religions (except judaism of course) so i cant answer.

as for judaism. its a big question since heaven or hell are barely talked about. judaism is more about life then death so i guess every jew has his own opinion on how heaven and hell are and how you get there.
xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,711 posts
Blacksmith

i think it could be on earth. only a short part of the movie constantine

well, not how other believe in them. who knows, maybe hell is a very very very cold place.

i know it after my death so i cant answer this question properly.

Is God really real?

maybe, but he/she/it could be a stone or a plant or an animal. i will know it if i go to heaven and see him/her/it.

Drink
Drink
1,622 posts
Blacksmith

im a christian i believe in god and such but im not extremly religious to where i dont sin whatsoever but i want to go to heaven but im entirely sure i will end up in hell for the things i done and said and laughed at

xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,711 posts
Blacksmith

but im entirely sure i will end up in hell for the things i done and said and laughed at

why not outwaighting the bad things with good things? but you should do good things only to help others and not to get rewarded. to see someone happy is a real reward.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Heaven it is hard to concept the thought of living for eternity in heaven and that everything would be perfect and everyone would be nice and kind.

Not only hard, but impossible. With our current ('life-time' state of mind we cannot live the way you just described; therefore I imagine christian heaven as a sort of eternal lobotomy where everyone just grin at each other and drink milk.
Were we to live eternally in our current state of mind, it would quickly become boring and with time passing, more and more horrible and excruciating.
Hell? I don't know. I imagine it like a huge party/orgy/whatever, in contrast to the eternal torture pit it is described as most often. Well maybe a bit of torture as a sort of greeting, but would demons really never get tired of torturing?

I almost prefer the Greek version of the afterlife, where most people go to Hades, where it's all gray and the like; sounds boring maybe, but also appeasing, melancholic, recreative. Closer to an eternal sleep.

Irreconcilable with my understanding of the consciousness. Since the concept of an afterlife needs the existence of a soul, and the concept of a soul is irreconcilable with neurology.

All three following questions: no^^
44Flames
44Flames
585 posts
Nomad

@HahiHa

Since the concept of an afterlife needs the existence of a soul, and the concept of a soul is irreconcilable with neurology.

If there was no soul then why is there many ghost and angel sightings?

@thebluerabbit
christians believe that you can turn into an angle?

no christains do not beleive in becoming an angel but they do beleive in angels serving God and this is a thoery about what angels are.

what aboud non-christians? if you are born to a catholic family then you are really lucky (which means you are a good person) but if you were unlucky enough to be born to a jewish/muslim/atheist/whatever family most chances that you will nott convert espacially when for example the islam sais the exact same thing: "only muslims go to heaven".
what about gays? they are born that way. if they are born that way how can you say that he doesnt decide who is going to hell already? and why should some lucky catholic people have an easier start then non-christians/gays?

"How do we know that those who believe in Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, etc. will not be saved. None of the adherents of these faiths believe that Jesus in the Christ the Son of the Living God. Jesus said, "Except ye believe that I am he, ye shall die in your sins" (John 8: 24).

This passage means that the people that do not belive in Jesus Christ will not go to heaven. But if, however, they should learn of Christ, believe and obey him then they too could be saved. A gay or homosexual person can accept Christ, just as an alcoholic, a drug addict, or a mass-murderer can accept Christ. Jesus' offer of salvation is open to everyone.The Bible teaches that if someone has truly accepted Christ into his life, nothing can keep him out of heaven. In John 10:28, Christ says of Christians,

âI give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of My hand.â
44Flames
44Flames
585 posts
Nomad

In the Bible it says God forgives all sins except the unforgivable sin of not accepting Jesus.

AgathaB
AgathaB
154 posts
Nomad

In the Bible it says God forgives all sins except the unforgivable sin of not accepting Jesus.

You know, I've always wondered how that worked. Suppose for a moment that God does exist (which shouldn't be too hard for you who already believe). It appears that he also gave us the skills to reason and think for ourselves. If all evidence suggests that the most logical conclusion is that there is no God at all, surely he can't blame me for not believing? He's the one that made me who I am. Since it makes no logical sense to believe in him, I don't, and indirectly it's his fault that I don't. You see what I'm getting at?

Also, really? So God forgives murderers, rapists and genocidal maniacs, but little old me who has never killed anyone, never stole anything, I am not forgiven simply because I don't accept God's existence? Forgive me, but that seems a bit silly.

Errr, wait. I just saw that you said that not accepting Jesus is an unforgivable sin. What acceptance of Jesus? As a historical figure, as a myth, as a prophet or as the son of God?
44Flames
44Flames
585 posts
Nomad

Sorry for the triple post I had to get alot out.

@xAyjAy

well, not how other believe in them. who knows, maybe hell is a very very very cold place.

I highly doubt Hell being very, very cold because in the Bible it says that Hell is the fiery depths. I think.
44Flames
44Flames
585 posts
Nomad

What acceptance of Jesus? As a historical figure, as a myth, as a prophet or as the son of God?

It is accepting Jesus as the son of God.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

If there was no soul then why is there many ghost and angel sightings?

Optical illusions, magnetic and neurological phenomenons, and those are only the most frequent ones. I do believe that many of the involved people really think what they experienced is true, but I do not believe that what they experienced is actually supernatural.

The reason why I don't believe in souls is because our neural system, our brain, is enough to explain character, behaviour and all that. Those are even dependent on certain brain areas, when looking at the case of Phineas Gage for example (although this case has often been exxagerated, it still is a good example). A soul, as the non-physical entity I see it, couldn't possibly be influenced by the loss of a brain area, something physical.
There have been observations pointing at a very small weight loss right after death, and many have seen in this proof of the soul leaving the body; and I seriously wonder why, because a soul should hold no weight.
Unless of course I completely misunderstood the concept.
44Flames
44Flames
585 posts
Nomad

If all evidence suggests that the most logical conclusion is that there is no God at all, surely he can't blame me for not believing? He's the one that made me who I am. Since it makes no logical sense to believe in him, I don't, and indirectly it's his fault that I don't. You see what I'm getting at?

Yes but there is reasons why God exists.
Like these:

The Earth...its size is perfect. The Earth's size and corresponding gravity holds a thin layer of mostly nitrogen and oxygen gases, only extending about 50 miles above the Earth's surface. If Earth were smaller, an atmosphere would be impossible, like the planet Mercury. If Earth were larger, its atmosphere would contain free hydrogen, like Jupiter. Earth is the only known planet equipped with an atmosphere of the right mixture of gases to sustain plant, animal and human life.

The Earth is located the right distance from the sun. Consider the temperature swings we encounter, roughly -30 degrees to +120 degrees. If the Earth were any further away from the sun, we would all freeze. Any closer and we would burn up. Even a fractional variance in the Earth's position to the sun would make life on Earth impossible. The Earth remains this perfect distance from the sun while it rotates around the sun at a speed of nearly 67,000 mph. It is also rotating on its axis, allowing the entire surface of the Earth to be properly warmed and cooled every day.

And our moon is the perfect size and distance from the Earth for its gravitational pull. The moon creates important ocean tides and movement so ocean waters do not stagnate, and yet our massive oceans are restrained from spilling over across the continents.

Water...colorless, odorless and without taste, and yet no living thing can survive without it. Plants, animals and human beings consist mostly of water (about two-thirds of the human body is water). You'll see why the characteristics of water are uniquely suited to life:

It has an unusually high boiling point and freezing point. Water allows us to live in an environment of fluctuating temperature changes, while keeping our bodies a steady 98.6 degrees.

Water is a universal solvent. This property of water means that thousands of chemicals, minerals and nutrients can be carried throughout our bodies and into the smallest blood vessels.

Water is also chemically neutral. Without affecting the makeup of the substances it carries, water enables food, medicines and minerals to be absorbed and used by the body.

Water has a unique surface tension. Water in plants can therefore flow upward against gravity, bringing life-giving water and nutrients to the top of even the tallest trees.

Water freezes from the top down and floats, so fish can live in the winter.

Ninety-seven percent of the Earth's water is in the oceans. But on our Earth, there is a system designed which removes salt from the water and then distributes that water throughout the globe. Evaporation takes the ocean waters, leaving the salt, and forms clouds which are easily moved by the wind to disperse water over the land, for vegetation, animals and people. It is a system of purification and supply that sustains life on this planet, a system of recycled and reused water.

The human brain...simultaneously processes an amazing amount of information. Your brain takes in all the colors and objects you see, the temperature around you, the pressure of your feet against the floor, the sounds around you, the dryness of your mouth, even the texture of your keyboard. Your brain holds and processes all your emotions, thoughts and memories. At the same time your brain keeps track of the ongoing functions of your body like your breathing pattern, eyelid movement, hunger and movement of the muscles in your hands.

The human brain processes more than a million messages a second. Your brain weighs the importance of all this data, filtering out the relatively unimportant. This screening function is what allows you to focus and operate effectively in your world. The brain functions differently than other organs. There is an intelligence to it, the ability to reason, to produce feelings, to dream and plan, to take action, and relate to other people.

The eye...can distinguish among seven million colors. It has automatic focusing and handles an astounding 1.5 million messages simultaneously. Evolution focuses on mutations and changes from and within existing organisms. Yet evolution alone does not fully explain the initial source of the eye or the brain the start of living organisms from nonliving matter.

So God made/created all of this.
AgathaB
AgathaB
154 posts
Nomad

So God made/created all of this.

That, my friend, is not evidence of God's existence. I am unsure what you meant to prove with this. Argument from design, maybe? That because everything is so perfect, it had to be designed and for it to be designed, there had to be a designer, therefore, God?

No. That's not how it works. Those are not reasons. That's a mish mash of things you can't explain to yourself so you fill in the gap with the convenient figure of God.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Yes but there is reasons why God exists.
Like these:

This is basically an "egg or chicken" problem. You look at us humans and see that the world we live in is quite well adapted to our needs. I see our world and see that we are quite well adapted to live in it.

You believe yours is right, but I have evidence to back up mine. I won't attack your belief, but you shouldn't handle your belief as if it was evidence.

Your point about the evolution of the eye isn't quite true; evolution can explain how eyes developed in organisms. But maybe you'll prefer to discuss this in the evolution thread.
Showing 16-30 of 811