Forums

ForumsPopular Media

Vinyl

Posted Feb 3, '12 at 1:01pm

waluigi

waluigi

1,954 posts

Seeing as there's no recent thread for this, and how I've been going on about vinyl recently, I figured we should start a thread for this. A thread dedicated to an old but now being revived medium of music.
I want to get your guys' opinion on vinyl. I love it. It has better sound quality, I love the pops and crackles it makes, and the larger packaging makes every detail in the cover art visible. So what do you hipsters think of vinyl? :D

Posted Feb 3, '12 at 10:58pm

jeol

jeol

3,987 posts

:O I love Vinyl. Sadly, I never get to hear it much. Apparently my brother got to hear the Fleet Foxes album on vinyl... I is jealous. I hope someday to be able to collect vinyls. I love 'em :3

Posted Feb 4, '12 at 12:04am

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,230 posts

Knight

Don't see many of them anymore; though there was a shop near my house dedicated to selling vinyl records when I was younger. Too bad it closed down.

Posted Feb 4, '12 at 1:42am

ilberic

ilberic

871 posts

I have about 3000 12" vinyls
about 750 45's
and I haven't cataloged my 78's yet, but i'm guessing about 150-200..

I have a room setup just for storing them. Yeah, I like me some music :)

Posted Feb 4, '12 at 3:58am

MrDayCee

MrDayCee

9,067 posts

LOL I guess ilberic is my adversary then?! What he has in vinyl, I have in CD's... (o.O)

But I do own several (maybe 50-100) vinyl records that I try to keep in mint condition... and I have some wall art with vinyl! Having the copies of some famous records hanging on the wall makes for excellent memories AND art of course... =P

Posted Feb 4, '12 at 10:22am

ilberic

ilberic

871 posts

Yeah, I'm way behind in Cd's compared to vinyl. I think I only have like 500-550 cd's at the moment. I gave away like 100 cd's to my sister and i've sold quite a few of the ones i used to have as well. Once I put them on my computer, I never even look at the cd anymore..

Posted Feb 4, '12 at 10:26am

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,230 posts

Knight

You two still have such fantastically unbelievable numbers of vinyls and CDs though.....I have at max with my family....a 100?

Posted Feb 7, '12 at 3:32pm

Rakim

Rakim

145 posts

I love vinyl. My brother got me a turntable a little bit over a year ago and I've been collecting vinyl ever since. My collection isn't exactly huge yet but I'll keep growing it for my whole life.

It has better sound quality, I love the pops and crackles it makes, and the larger packaging makes every detail in the cover art visible.

That's exactly why I love it. Plus I can scratch, yo.

Posted Feb 7, '12 at 5:52pm

MrDayCee

MrDayCee

9,067 posts

I gave away like 100 cd's to my sister

@ ilberic : You gave away like... NOOOO!!! That's sheer BLASPHEMY in my book! (o.O)

I even keep the ones I got from my sister (I guess it was the other way around with us, heheh) from back in the days of Hardcore House music, which I think is deafening when listening to it, but keep for the sake of having in my collection to look at 30 years from now and... then put back in their holding space! *grin* =P

You two still have such fantastically unbelievable numbers of vinyls and CDs though

@ Nichodemus : don't feel like you're left out bro... it makes for less of a tough choice to make whenever you feel like listening to 'some music'... now I have to sift through the stack and eventually end up using the old 'pin the tail on the donkey'-style of selection! =)

That's exactly why I love it. Plus I can scratch, yo.

@ Rakim : Ahm... really? Isn't that like a HUGE contradiction within a sentence there?! How are you going to keep the vinyl in good condtion? =/

Posted Feb 20, '12 at 7:24pm

SSTG

SSTG

11,322 posts

Knight

I still have about 100 albums left, mostly soundtracks and classical music (some importations that cost me $30 US a piece back in the early 90's). I can't believe I sold my 500 singles before I got my first PC. I didn't know back then that they could be converted. I still have nightmares about it.
;(
~~~~~~~~
><>~~~~~
~~~<>(~~
~~~~~~~~
I converted 99% of them to digital using an ION turntable connected to my computer via USB. I then remove the bad scratches and pops with Cool Edit Pro but I keep the more quiet ones just because I like to hear them. :)
I miss that time when I used to spend 8 hours at the used record store every Saturdays (middle 90's). I would get there in the morning, go eat lunch at home, go back, go eat diner and back until it closes for the night. :D
There was a place in Montreal where they had used books and vinyls and I swear it was as big as a Wall-Mart Super Center, a Price Club or Sam's Club here in the US.

That was the good old time for me.
Now I feel all nostalgic. :(

Reply to Vinyl

You must be logged in to post a reply!