ForumsPopular MediaVinyl

13 6180
waluigi
waluigi
1,948 posts
Shepherd

Seeing as there's no recent thread for this, and how I've been going on about vinyl recently, I figured we should start a thread for this. A thread dedicated to an old but now being revived medium of music.
I want to get your guys' opinion on vinyl. I love it. It has better sound quality, I love the pops and crackles it makes, and the larger packaging makes every detail in the cover art visible. So what do you hipsters think of vinyl?

• 13 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Don't see many of them anymore; though there was a shop near my house dedicated to selling vinyl records when I was younger. Too bad it closed down.

ilberic
ilberic
858 posts
Jester

I have about 3000 12" vinyls
about 750 45's
and I haven't cataloged my 78's yet, but i'm guessing about 150-200..

I have a room setup just for storing them. Yeah, I like me some music

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

LOL I guess ilberic is my adversary then?! What he has in vinyl, I have in CD's... (o.O)

But I do own several (maybe 50-100) vinyl records that I try to keep in mint condition... and I have some wall art with vinyl! Having the copies of some famous records hanging on the wall makes for excellent memories AND art of course... =P

ilberic
ilberic
858 posts
Jester

Yeah, I'm way behind in Cd's compared to vinyl. I think I only have like 500-550 cd's at the moment. I gave away like 100 cd's to my sister and i've sold quite a few of the ones i used to have as well. Once I put them on my computer, I never even look at the cd anymore..

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

You two still have such fantastically unbelievable numbers of vinyls and CDs though.....I have at max with my family....a 100?

Rakim
Rakim
143 posts
Treasurer

I love vinyl. My brother got me a turntable a little bit over a year ago and I've been collecting vinyl ever since. My collection isn't exactly huge yet but I'll keep growing it for my whole life.

It has better sound quality, I love the pops and crackles it makes, and the larger packaging makes every detail in the cover art visible.

That's exactly why I love it. Plus I can scratch, yo.
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

I gave away like 100 cd's to my sister

@ ilberic : You gave away like... NOOOO!!! That's sheer BLASPHEMY in my book! (o.O)

I even keep the ones I got from my sister (I guess it was the other way around with us, heheh) from back in the days of Hardcore House music, which I think is deafening when listening to it, but keep for the sake of having in my collection to look at 30 years from now and... then put back in their holding space! *grin* =P

You two still have such fantastically unbelievable numbers of vinyls and CDs though

@ Nichodemus : don't feel like you're left out bro... it makes for less of a tough choice to make whenever you feel like listening to 'some music'... now I have to sift through the stack and eventually end up using the old 'in the tail on the donkey'-style of selection! =)

That's exactly why I love it. Plus I can scratch, yo.

@ Rakim : Ahm... really? Isn't that like a HUGE contradiction within a sentence there?! How are you going to keep the vinyl in good condtion? =/
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I still have about 100 albums left, mostly soundtracks and classical music (some importations that cost me $30 US a piece back in the early 90's). I can't believe I sold my 500 singles before I got my first PC. I didn't know back then that they could be converted. I still have nightmares about it.
;(
~~~~~~~~
><>~~~~~
~~~<>(~~
~~~~~~~~
I converted 99% of them to digital using an ION turntable connected to my computer via USB. I then remove the bad scratches and pops with Cool Edit Pro but I keep the more quiet ones just because I like to hear them.
I miss that time when I used to spend 8 hours at the used record store every Saturdays (middle 90's). I would get there in the morning, go eat lunch at home, go back, go eat diner and back until it closes for the night.
There was a place in Montreal where they had used books and vinyls and I swear it was as big as a Wall-Mart Super Center, a Price Club or Sam's Club here in the US.

That was the good old time for me.
Now I feel all nostalgic.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

I was reminded of this thread when I walked around the music section of a huge store not so long ago... the revival of this music medium is in full effect! (o.O)

There's an increasing separate department for vinyl in this store and some albums are 'older ones' made completely new! A question came to mind: Is this to be considered 'vintage' anymore? Really don't know... =/

Rakim
Rakim
143 posts
Treasurer

Isn't that like a HUGE contradiction within a sentence there?! How are you going to keep the vinyl in good condtion? =/

I meant producing the "scratch" sound... you know, like a DJ. I do it pretty rarely and my brother taught me how to do it properly. I always try to keep my records in good condition.

There's an increasing separate department for vinyl in this store and some albums are 'older ones' made completely new! A question came to mind: Is this to be considered 'vintage' anymore? Really don't know... =/

That sounds awesome! I wish there were more places to buy vinyl here in Finland. A store that sold only vinyl records just closed down a while ago and I never got a chance to go there. It was quite a popular place among record collector.
I don't really care if it's considered vintage or not. I just wish I could find more places to buy it and I think it would be great if vinyl would make a comeback. In Finland it's cassettes that are gaining popularity again. At least among fans of hip-hop.
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

Awe, i miss buying a good old vinyl, back when they were super cheap. There's no stores specifically for them here, and ones you find are "rare" and thus too expensive.

America is good for them well when i was there there were Vinyl shops in maine.

I don't own a collection, but you can't beat the sound from vinyl.

idigit
idigit
255 posts
Nomad

I have three turntables and 200 vinyls

I GOT MINT CONDITION LED ZEPPELIN ALBUMS FOR CHRISTMAS. LED ZEPPELIN AND LED ZEPPELIN II. I Flipped when i saw them. They are my favorite band 33% of the time. Tied with AC/DC and Van Halen.

Showing 1-12 of 13