Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

I was on the edge of my seat until I realized there wasn't another line. :(

Posted Apr 12, '14 at 4:06pm

Freakenstein

Freakenstein

8,097 posts

Let's see what happens if I release part 2 on the weekend.

~Part II~

The assumed leader licked his chops and began to speak in a huffed tone, "Now what's a shiny-looking group like yerselves been comin here and struttin our territory aroun', eh?" Sweat began to drop around Balnades' forehead as he began to realize just how many men were looking down upon him. There couldn't have been more than 40 feet between the two cliffs enveloping the underpass. This would be a tight battle (if it came to it) and the carriages protecting the children would be in great danger. He put his hands upward in a passive gesture "We're just armed travelers looking to make our way into that town over there. That's all we mean to do. We won't encroach further and we'll look for another way afterwards. Just let us pass this one time." The bearded man huffed in laughter, which caused his army to laugh in turn. The laughter enveloped around the group, causing tension amongst the soldiers and making them stir. They clutched their weapons preparing for something to happen.

"What's going on, Brother?" asked Kashan. Allos replied, "I don't know, but I bet it isn't good. The paddlefeet don't like what they found either."

"Are we here already, Daniel?" asked Danielle as she piqued her curiosity by looking out the hole in the back of their carriage. "I wouldn't do that, Sis," warned Daniel. He grabbed her arm before she tried climbing out. "But what if we really are at home? I wanna see Mom and Dad!"

"Danielle, get back inside please," hissed Balnades. She took the hint and quickly stuck her head back in the carriage.

Kahna couldn't take anymore of the fearful laughter and began to cry. "No, please don't cry Kahna, everything will be all right!" cooed Elane, holding her close. Even so, she herself was beginning to sob.

"We need to do something!" cried a soldier in the back. Kael’Thas remained steadfast. “We’re stayin’ put ‘til our commander tells us to jump in!” Be that as it may, his knuckles were white grasping his polished battleaxe. No one else was more itching for a fight than he.

"Be that a wee babe you got there?" sneered the leader of the raid party. "She no like none of this does she?" he began speaking in a mocking tone before laughing again.

"That is my daughter," spoke Balnades. "We're just passing through. Let us pass through to this town."

"Passing through my ***!" Balnades was startled by the sudden raising of his voice. "What travelers...pass through with army dogs?"
"We are armed travelers, I told you--"

"Not done I am! Travelers? Armed? Yes...All of yous are! Let me ask you something: What travelers wear the symbol of Lytal!?" The raiders booed and roared, clashing their weapons and shields together. It was clear that they were ready for a fight. They did not take kindly to patchy lies. "I wasn't done either," muttered Balnades. The raid leader turned his head in confusion. "What did you say?" he warned, voice heavy.

"I said, let us pass through to this town, and we will leave your men unharmed."

The raid leader seemed to be hoarse from laughter. " YOU? KILL US!? Your men look like they're barely off their bottle! Do you even know who I am? I'm Gerik the Lunatic, Class III Fighter, and your men will be as limbs if I get to them!" The soldiers surrounding the carriages weren't eager to take on such an unkempt, savage people, much less fight them on uneven ground. But Master Tristain wasn't impressed. He raised a finger and lightly put "If." Balnades was aghast at another person trying to speak down a raiding party. He muttered, "Master Tristain, please let me speak from this point forward! I'm trying to keep our children from as much harm as possible!"

"You gonna let an old fart speak now, whelp? This be rich." The raiding party harassed them even further, some outliers gesturing unkindly.
"Listen Balnades," Master Tristain assured by clapping his hand on his shoulder, "I don't think these people are in the mood for just letting us go. We better end it quickly before they get the jump on us first."
"But what can the group as a whole do? It will take a while for them to even climb up ready to fight them!"

"That's where I come in. You talk them down some more, and I will sit down and prepare something." Master Tristain's eyes were flashing a golden hue.
"O-okay. I hope what you're doing is going to help out." Balnades managed to leave a grin on his face.

Tensions were higher still inside the carriages and that only made the children even more curious. "I hope nothing bad's gonna happen, Allos," worried Kashan. "Hey, don't worry little brother," assured Allos. "If anybody nasty barges through here, they will have to get past me!" He flashed his patchwork shortsword, something that appeared obviously handed down from his older brother when he was his age. He looked confident, but slumped over when Kashan mentioned "but you don't have any armor on; you’ll get hurt out there."

Balnades turned his head towards the raid leader Gerik while Master Tristain sat down and focused his hands into something. "Are you people working for anybody?" he asked. "We work for many people" he snickered. "Many people want our work, because we work very. Very. Well." The two soldiers in front of the party swallowed in fear.

"So maybe you're working for, say, the nation Kaivim's king Servos?"
"Maybe we are, maybe we aren't! I don't think it matters for you to know, does it?"

"It sure does. Because we are going to be the ones left alive in this fight." Balnades smirked.

"Bah!" The raid leader waved him off. "You make big talk, but your fight will be boring."

A hooded figure moved towards Gerik and whispered to him. "Warlord Gerik, there's a disturbance in wind down there. Someone must be concentrating power in one of the carriages." After the message was over, his eyebrows were raised high. "WHAT? SOMEONE'S USING MAGIC DOWN THERE?” The raiding party mashed their faces in vehemence, breathing angrily. “Come on Gerik,” said a female raider, “Let’s shut this man’s trap and get on with it!” He flashed his teeth and nodded. “Trying to trap us, eh? That tears it, you're all dead meat! Destroy those carriages, wizard!"
"My pleasure." The same hooded figure conjured a spinning octogram with runes that trickled down shining, crimson particles that collected in the middle. The mass increased in size, until the octogram spun so fast, the lettering was blurred and the borders shined white. Suddenly, the octogram imploded to nothing and the force propelled the burning mass down into the carriages.

Balnades saw the fireball coming, but he could not prepare in time to react and instead panicked. "No! NO!" He began reeling for the front of the cart, but then Master Tristain shouted "Now!" He released his hands and the golden energy that gathered around him shot towards every soldier he wished and enveloped them in light. When his hands both shot pivoted up the cliff, every soldier blanketed in the light, including Balnades, Gustav, and himself, rocketed above the cliff with the sound of cannon fire. They were spooked beyond belief, but now they were falling towards the raiding party, and now they were ready to fight.

This, however, did not stop the fireball; moments after the group teleported to the battleground, the fireball met its target: the rear carriage. The resounding explosion swallowed the carriage in flames while the rest of the wagons were rocked in pure force, sending them crashing to the sides of the cliff. The paddlefeet could not bear to stand, sending trumpeting cries of pain. Balnades looked on in horror. "Dammit!" He shouted. "Don't worry Balnades," soothed Master Tristain, "that was the cargo wagon. Your plan worked just fine. The rest of the carriages aren't hurt too badly."

"Good. Th' kids're all mostly unharmed. With tha' out o' th' way," interrupted Kael'Thas, "This means we can fight with doubt in mind!" Balnades did not care about this detail and his face was red in anger. He shouted down at his enemies, "How dare you people attack a carriage with children on board! You won't walk away from this, I swear it! Even if I have to end you myself!"

The soldiers touched down and began to fight immediately. Swords, spears, axes, and shields clashed with metal as battle cries and bellowing echoed throughout the land. Bodies were wrestled to the ground and both Lytalian soldiers and raiders were struggling to keep up. The raid leader opened his mouth surprised. It looks like his assumptions were wrong. He heaved up his battleaxe but Balnades fell in front of him. He stood up shouting "You may have more men, but our men are far stronger and more disciplined than yours!" The raid leader's brow quivered in distress. "Well then raise your sword behind you if think that's all true!" Balnades simply sprinted towards him. "I won't need a weapon to destroy you! I'm not impressed!"

He raised an armored fist and slammed into the mercenary's chest, propelling him through the air and into a small tree, splitting it in several pieces. Gerik struggled to brace himself up, coughing and wheezing. He raised his battleaxe after situating himself and charged at Balnades to swing with all his might. The sharpened blade swiped down like a guillotine, but the battleaxe rebounded after attempting to slice through his massive armor. The blade of the battleaxe crackled and pieces were chipped off. "W-what kind of man are you to be wearing this monstrosity!? This is ridiculous! How am I hurt so badly?" Balnades swiftly grabbed the battleaxe out of the raider's hand and threw it to the ground. "I am Balnades Skryom! And you have harassed the wrong father!" Simply by hearing the name, the raider scampered backward, throwing dirt unto his legs, trying to crawl away from him. He threw his waving arms in front of him, heaving "Wait a minute! No one told me I would have to f-fight you! This was a set up! I-I-I-I thought that I would be raiding some common people! Not someone as f-f-famous as you! P-please! Just l-let me go! I won't bother you or anyone else, I s-swear it!"

"WHO ARE YOU WORKING FOR?" Balnades bellowed, sending pockets of air to ripple the raider's face. Gerik whimpered, tears and mucus coming out of his eyes and nose. "I-i'll tell you! B-but you have to promise to leave me b-be!" He grunted, sounding impatient.

"H-his name is S-Se--" the raid leader couldn't finish before being impaled by an ethereal spear. Gerik gasped one final "GYAOOHH" before falling to the ground motionless. The spear was pulled from his body, and the hooded mage was the culprit.

Posted Apr 16, '14 at 12:21am

MoonFairy

MoonFairy

3,216 posts

IN CASE IT TAKES YOU ABOUT A YEAR TO PRODUCE THE NEXT SEGMENT

^

Posted Apr 16, '14 at 4:00pm

Freakenstein

Freakenstein

8,097 posts

^

If I get enough brandy, I can explain! Maybe.

Posted Apr 16, '14 at 4:41pm

MoonFairy

MoonFairy

3,216 posts

If I get enough brandy, I can explain! Maybe.

There ain't enough brandy in the world, babe. Sorry. No excuses.

But keep up the good work

Reply to Paragon (Chapter III, Page 3): Trouble on the Highway

You must be logged in to post a reply!